P500 Deciding on my purchase of a 500

S

stinbro

Feb 21, 2019
Tn
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hey this is my first post so go easy on me. I am looking for a SXS mainly for hunting. Im no big trail rider and not a speed freak. I looked at all the hondas and think that the footprint and price of the 500 is ideal for me. Took a test drive last weekend and wasn't super impressed with the shifting aspect of the machine. From what I read it could be from the speed/RPM at which I was shifting and possibly from being on the pavement. It shifted very rough with an audible clunk every time (rough enough that it jerks driver and passenger around), something I'm not used to from my Rancher 420 I own. Another thing that was strange was the machine down shifting automatically even when in the manual mode using the paddle shifters. The sales person was busy inside and not much help answering questions. This was a 2017 model, all stock. Any thoughts or ideas on this are much appreciated. I really want a honda for reliability and actually having a real gearbox.

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
I can make a couple comments, I have a 2017 also. I felt the same as you about the shifting, but with 1000 km on it now, it shifts much better, automatically and manually. The fact that it shifts down to second automatically when in "manual" mode, turned out to be a great feature, keeps me from trying to accelerate from a stop in 5th gear and cursing myself for not shifting down when I slowed down. The P500 is a very capable machine, definitely not a speed machine or a "smooth as butter" machine, but has a lot of positives, ie: customizable, quiet, good on fuel, small enough to fit on tight trails or between trees, tons of torque when in 1 or 2 to climb steep hills, no belt to get wet and slip or break, reliable (which is infinitely important when you're out alone), and most of all, fun!

Also, you never have to worry about us being hard on you, this board respects each other, except maybe when the parties all know each other and are teasing. You're good, and welcome to our little community!

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I used to have a 2017 500. Mine shifted great after first oil change but used Manuel on trails. It was a great machine I miss it sometimes. They will climb like a goat and great trail machines.

ShotgunClay

ShotgunClay

Mar 13, 2018
Founders Ranch New Mexico
Ownership

1. 500
I used the automatic transmission in my 2017 for about 15 minutes. Manual all the time now, with over 2000 miles. It gets smoother, and you get better using it.

Reactions: stinbro
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the club, everything you are describing is spot on and normal. My 2017 was the same way in auto, it shifted kinda jerky...especially if you lift off the throttle about the time it’s going to shift. It’s better to stay hammered down when in auto and it will get better with time and an oil change and clutch adjustment. The p5 is programmed to override the manual mode to protect the engine and transmission. It’s a tough machine and should give you many years of good service. Here’s a pic of the one I had.
E22A61AC 2176 4646 B851 EE9127B59CBB

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hey this is my first post so go easy on me. I am looking for a SXS mainly for hunting. Im no big trail rider and not a speed freak. I looked at all the hondas and think that the footprint and price of the 500 is ideal for me. Took a test drive last weekend and wasn't super impressed with the shifting aspect of the machine. From what I read it could be from the speed/RPM at which I was shifting and possibly from being on the pavement. It shifted very rough with an audible clunk every time (rough enough that it jerks driver and passenger around), something I'm not used to from my Rancher 420 I own. Another thing that was strange was the machine down shifting automatically even when in the manual mode using the paddle shifters. The sales person was busy inside and not much help answering questions. This was a 2017 model, all stock. Any thoughts or ideas on this are much appreciated. I really want a honda for reliability and actually having a real gearbox.
WELCOME! Just watch out for @JTW and @Smitty335! HA!

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I love my 17. the only complaint I could ever have is there's not a huge amount of leg room and no established imaginary futuristic weapons system to help irradicate all the tree rats in existence. it's a war you know.........pew pew pew.....welcome to the fandango, El @stinbro

T

twodog

Jan 22, 2019
Ozark Mountains
Ownership

1. 500
I bought a 2017 about a year ago and got rid of my 420 Rancher. I really liked the Rancher but straddling the tank was hard on my arthritis and the wife decided she like the trails but not the 4 wheeler. After looking at the bigger Honda's the 500 was for me. I am not interested in great speed or hard core off roading I will never need to plow snow and I could put the 500 on the same trailer the Rancher used. I use mine a lot for hunting and for me it is a perfect fit. I also use it for hauling small loads of firewood around the place and other chores. The shifting does smooth up in time I have nearly 700 miles on mine and it gets better. I rarely use the automatic mode.
Before retirement I used about every make of SXS at work and the Pioneers are the best in my experience.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In the time since I bought mine I've taken it riding in some serious backcountry in most of 9 states. It's been the most reliable machine I've yet owned. Never not once has it ever failed me on any terrain. The shifting will definitely mellow over time. Give her a break in period...
Gotta name it too.
IMG 1077

R

RumpRocket

Dec 23, 2017
USA
Ownership

1. 500
I own a 2017.....I'm a easy rider...I run in Automatic about 95% of the time...Manual for me is when I going through the real bad stuff and want better control....the down shifting has never been a problem.

My problem was the noise from the engine....."trigger"....suggested using some thick rubber by laying it under the seats....that for me worked wonders and it also help block the heat from the engine.

My top speed is 40 MPH...the trails in my area are pretty rough...so I average about 20 - 25 MPH on them....which is fine with me.

Like 100Acre said ...."Give her a break in period"....and it will "mellow down"...

My 2017 have never let me down....it's given me everything I wanted to do.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
It's going to clunk and ping, especially when it's new. There's a fix for how much of it you hear but either way don't question that it's a problem. These are built like the Honda's of old, meant to last forever so smooth out of the gate was never intended. Just ride normal until the first service and then hammer down, you won't hurt it.
Welcome to the forum btw!

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Own a 420 Rancher and P500. As said by others, the first ride is not impressive compared to a Rancher, but after getting familar with the machine and break in it will grow on you. Easy clutch adjustment and diff. oil change at first service is what many have done. No regrets on this dependable little tank. Downshifting normal, and use MT on trails as said above. 2nd the Welcome.
P500 - Pioneer 500 Clutch Adjustment (Video)

Last edited:
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I didnt even read what you had to say, the answer is "Yes", you need a P5. Ok, have a good day.

S

stinbro

Feb 21, 2019
Tn
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks everybody for the responses! I guess my next question is if you are on a flat surface nearly at top speed in manual shift and let off the gas is the machine going to continue to downshift until it almost eventually stops?

Reactions: Russ989
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Yes, downshift in both manual and auto mode, theres a good video here somewhere. Only have to upshift when riding. Seems like personal preference between pre 2017 models versus 2017+

Last edited:
Reactions: RumpRocket
S

stinbro

Feb 21, 2019
Tn
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Yes, theres a good video here somewhere.
My buddy hated that about the test drive. I guess you would call that engine breaking maybe? He wanted total control of the gearing and didn't care for the manual downshifting. I'm not sure if its that big a deal to me that is does that. Would be really nice while going downhill......

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!