P1000 Defroster for the glass windshield

M

Montster

Nov 13, 2019
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have a 19 P1k LE with a hard cabs cab enclosure with the glass windshield. I use the machine for everything including a lot of snow plowing with it. As far as heat goes to keep me warm, I don't really need it, however, i am seriously considering a heater of some type to help keep the windshield defrosted and defogged.. it does fog up a lot, especially when plowing and when snow blows back on the windshield. Do any of you guys have any experience or recommendations for types of heater to get the best windshield defrosting-defogging action?

M

Montster

Nov 13, 2019
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I guess no response means that none of the systems are very adequate at defrosting the windshield?

Lady01

Lady01

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 22, 2019
Midland Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I guess no response means that none of the systems are very adequate at defrosting the windshield?
Good Morning,

My Bride and I have a 2019 P1K3 hard enclosure, soft upper doors, honda heater.

It works really well, but like you, we still fog up especially when Michigan snow blows back on the windshield. I do not have an answer for it yet, but I did take the extra steps of sealing off the windshield (top and bottom) which helped out a lot but did not aleviate fogging. Bitter cold temps, wind, and snow still give it a flash fog at times. Mainly because there is no "defrost" ducting to the windshield. This winter I am thinking of adding an electric heater to the roof area pointing at the windshield (or probably just add a fan, we need a fan for the summertime anyways.)

Oh, one thing that My Bride really appreciates is the heated seats I added! So nice! Keep us posted on your progress.

Reactions: Rayger143
toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
For my old plow truck I bought one of these. I didn’t have a rear defrost, so I could rig this up under the back window and it would give me a spot to see though.

it doesn’t put out a lot of heat, probably about a hairdryer on low. But it worked for me to keep the glass from fogging

8020D139 0CFD 4440 BB0F 9515D1538FC5

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don’t use mine to plow and not a lot in the winter but have used my fan overide switch to draw warm air through the dash and have noticed it clear my windshield.

M

Montster

Nov 13, 2019
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thank you guys for your help and input! It is greatly appreciated. I will definitely look into these options.

Reactions: Puck and Lady01
J

Justonly

Feb 16, 2021
Mound, MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Look it the ICE Crusher heater and look at the install instructions. Two right in the middle for the windshield. If you want you can change out the drink holders to add to more heat on windshield. They have a option for a aux pump so you have heat at idle.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: Lady01
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Look it the ICE Crusher heater and look at the install instructions. Two right in the middle for the windshield. If you want you can change out the drink holders to add to more heat on windshield. They have a option for a aux pump so you have heat at idle.
Hope this helps.
I don't see any aux pump, but I do see the MaxStat option. It's a housing that has thermostat in it that directs coolant flow through the heater when the unit is at lower speeds or idle. Is that what you are referring to? Any more reviews from folks who have this particular unit?

J

Justonly

Feb 16, 2021
Mound, MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is a pump that that pumps the coolant from the motor to the heater so you will get a more constant heat at idle at what ever the motor temp is just like your car. They are working on availability now.

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have a 19 P1k LE with a hard cabs cab enclosure with the glass windshield. I use the machine for everything including a lot of snow plowing with it. As far as heat goes to keep me warm, I don't really need it, however, i am seriously considering a heater of some type to help keep the windshield defrosted and defogged.. it does fog up a lot, especially when plowing and when snow blows back on the windshield. Do any of you guys have any experience or recommendations for types of heater to get the best windshield defrosting-defogging action?
check out ice crusher heater for sxs I believe they have a pretty good defrost vent. not cheap or easy to install. looked into it a few years ago but I really don't need it I just keep my windows open.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
This is a pump that that pumps the coolant from the motor to the heater so you will get a more constant heat at idle at what ever the motor temp is just like your car. They are working on availability now.
I see that now. I wonder how and/or if that works in conjunction with the MaxStat option, as it wouldn't be able to pump coolant without a thermostat being open and the coolant flowing through the motor to remain hot. Might have to reach out and have a chat.

J

Justonly

Feb 16, 2021
Mound, MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This system was not designed to work in conjunction with the MaxStat option. They were looking for a better way to get heat. This is before the thermostat so you get heat sooner and more constant heat and also at idle.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Thanks for the clarification. If the machine is at idle and the normal thermostat is closed, then coolant is not flowing through the engine. If coolant isn't flowing through the engine, it's not staying hot. So this pump will circulate cold coolant?

J

Justonly

Feb 16, 2021
Mound, MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So here is more clarification. The pioneer motor has a axillary oil cooler that is not involved with the thermostat at all.
They installed a water pump in parallel with that system so as the motor is warming up there is good flow going to the heater even at idle. That is the problem with a lot of the heaters is you have to drive the unit some time to get heat. Hope this makes sense.
They are working on price and availability now.

rcolson29

rcolson29

Jul 14, 2019
MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got the inferno heater with defrost in ours and it still fogs up when I have multiple passengers in our P15. Problem is the air vent positioning is not that great for clearing the windshield, but there really isn't much room on top of the dash. Other heaters may do a better job. Adding a double fan to the top roll bar this winter to see if that will help.

Reactions: Lady01 and toddvdh
toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I guess that is why I posted the little one I did. I could use 2 sided tape or a clamp and rig it up to keep the window clear exactly where I needed it clear. I would think some zip ties on the roll bar could keep it perfectly pointed at the windshield. And it's only $25.

He wasn't looking for a "heater" just a way to keep the window clear.

Reactions: Lady01 and Scoop

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!