Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dang... I would have thought they'd have warn well. I may just stick with BH originals then.. I need something that will wear well on blacktop.
Don't just take my word for it, research it. Whenever we do much rock climbing, there's noticeable chunks missing from the lugs. But really can't blame them for that lol. I don't run mine on blacktop except the couple miles or so to get to trails at Bull Run. So no advice on that. I can say they run fairly smooth considering the lug pattern. Tire choosing isn't easy. Tons of options

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, if you want to fail on the ridge run like before bring back the tires you had. Actually to make you feel better, I've made that section with those street tires I have. C and I were both in the rig when I did that... I know the difference..... @LandPioneer you may want to listen to this... I made that hill with the street tires but I had my sway bar hooked.. That must have been the difference!;)
If you mean that last hill, those 2 runs were almost identical. Only difference was I had a sidewall catch that big rock on the left. You broke traction at same spot I did. You spun and then bit, just like mine did. Mind just skidded left during the spin and you didn't. That was probably those thin sidewalls flexing that caused the shift. Or it didn't shift, it just caught the sidewall when it flexed. Did I spin more? Why yeah. There's a reason those evos cost 600 bucks.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don't just take my word for it, research it. Whenever we do much rock climbing, there's noticeable chunks missing from the lugs. But really can't blame them for that lol. I don't run mine on blacktop except the couple miles or so to get to trails at Bull Run. So no advice on that. I can say they run fairly smooth considering the lug pattern. Tire choosing isn't easy. Tons of options
I enjoy watching and learning from the tire comments... I've been a "tire guy" for many years and as Delton mentioned there are so many options! I don't have enough experience to know if the stock BH's are good or the best option for me... Traction on a multitude of surfaces and tread longevity are a super tricky balance! I will most likely try something different than stock when the time comes, but I will also most likely run the same wheels.

Reactions: JTW
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I enjoy watching and learning from the tire comments... I've been a "tire guy" for many years and as Delton mentioned there are so many options! I don't have enough experience to know if the stock BH's are good or the best option for me... Traction on a multitude of surfaces and tread longevity are a super tricky balance! I will most likely try something different than stock when the time comes, but I will also most likely run the same wheels.
If you don't run alot of rocks (not talking gravel, softball sized or bigger), the stock bighorns work just fine. Yeah there'll be some instances where you'll spin more than a guy with evos or Roctanes or executioners. Are those instances worth the cost? Only you can decide that, it's your money right? @joeymt33 have had several conversations regarding evos vs Roctanes. One is more for mud and latter is more rock oriented. There's been times when that has been reversed. So many variables it's impossible to say one thing and it be fact all of the time.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you don't run alot of rocks (not talking gravel, softball sized or bigger), the stock bighorns work just fine. Yeah there'll be some instances where you'll spin more than a guy with evos or Roctanes or executioners. Are those instances worth the cost? Only you can decide that, it's your money right? @joeymt33 have had several conversations regarding evos vs Roctanes. One is more for mud and latter is more rock oriented. There's been times when that has been reversed. So many variables it's impossible to say one thing and it be fact all of the time.
I've always liked bighorn for a everyday tire, I've had them on other sxs's I've owned. The best of both worlds is to have 2 sets one more agressive than the other like many people on here have.

Reactions: JTW and Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, if you want to fail on the ridge run like before bring back the tires you had. Actually to make you feel better, I've made that section with those street tires I have. C and I were both in the rig when I did that... I know the difference..... @LandPioneer you may want to listen to this... I made that hill with the street tires but I had my sway bar hooked.. That must have been the difference!;)
What Don doesnt know was that I seen him cranking the hell outta that steering wheel back and forth trying to dig up the path up the ridge hill. He couldn't take those Horns going everywhere his tires did. You gotta watch his arse. He's tricky like that.

Reactions: JTW and LandPioneer
advertisement
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've always liked bighorn for a everyday tire, I've had them on other sxs's I've owned. The best of both worlds is to have 2 sets one more agressive than the other like many people on here have.
The smart people on here do have that setup Mike lol. I've bad-mouthed the horns but it was in jest. Only real problem I have is sidewall strength. If I found a 6ply set cheap, I'd jump all over it. But I'm going for a better tire if there's just a few bucks more. I think the best thing to do is get the most ply for what you're willing to spend and be happy with your purchase. There's no magical tire out there waiting to be bought

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've put in neighborhood of 600 road miles on my horns and they show almost no wear. Still has plenty of lug left. They wear well.

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The smart people on here do have that setup Mike lol. I've bad-mouthed the horns but it was in jest. Only real problem I have is sidewall strength. If I found a 6ply set cheap, I'd jump all over it. But I'm going for a better tire if there's just a few bucks more. I think the best thing to do is get the most ply for what you're willing to spend and be happy with your purchase. There's no magical tire out there waiting to be bought
"There's no magical tire out there waiting to be bought" This is probably the best statement that can be made about tires!!

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
20161215 100312

@drfubar, saw this in the current Lowe's sale paper. Look sweet with all those red accents you've painted. :rolleyes:

20161215 095428

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 28551
@drfubar, saw this in the current Lowe's sale paper. Look sweet with all those red accents you've painted. :rolleyes:

View attachment 28550
Don't show him that! He will put in his 2 week notice. No way he'd work at a place that supports such Tom foolery. I on the other hand, love it! Wouldn't want it on my rig per se, but I loves me some disco!! Makes we want to go dig out BeeGees and Abba CDs I have stashed somewhere

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I've got 1400 and mine are over half dead. It's aligned and we don't have much pavement not happy with the wear on this set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW
Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Don't show him that! He will put in his 2 week notice. No way he'd work at a place that supports such Tom foolery. I on the other hand, love it! Wouldn't want it on my rig per se, but I loves me some disco!! Makes we want to go dig out BeeGees and Abba CDs I have stashed somewhere

Awesome,

Bring um in April to the takeover!;)

Reactions: Delton
advertisement