mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Has anyone messed with the preload on the Q3's? All I've done so far is change the settings from the middle to the soft setting. It's excellent for slow to medium speed stuff, it really soaks up the bumps nicely.

I imagine if I were to pick up the pace, I'd want to crank it up a bit.

I haven't touched the preload yet, the collars are all at the top. Obviously if I took a ride where I had some weight in the back, I'd want to crank them up a little, but has anyone really spent some time dialing them in?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone messed with the preload on the Q3's? All I've done so far is change the settings from the middle to the soft setting. It's excellent for slow to medium speed stuff, it really soaks up the bumps nicely.

I imagine if I were to pick up the pace, I'd want to crank it up a bit.

I haven't touched the preload yet, the collars are all at the top. Obviously if I took a ride where I had some weight in the back, I'd want to crank them up a little, but has anyone really spent some time dialing them in?

I originally set my preload to stock ride height UNLOADED with all the accessories mounted.

The front seem to be fine when I use the 3 settings, soft for technical, medium for somewhat sported driving and hard for rough trails at speed or a little airtime.

The rear have started to sag with me using them around the homestead and carrying about 75-100lbs of gear for a day of trail riding.

I just added pre-load today with the gear loaded up to get them to factory ride height with the stock tires on in the rear.

Disclaimer: Mine are not a factory part number they are a pre-production set off a SEMA build, they have dual springs instead of dual rate, and the rears are a smaller diameter than the factory available part number, but shocks are shocks.

I may play with changing the rear springs out for a heavier set and have less preload the softer spring stays almost fully compressed, but the SEMA build they came off of didn’t have any real accessories to add weight not even a roof.

Reactions: sharp
ButchersHook

ButchersHook

May 13, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I picked up my 18 LE over labor day weekend. Been hauling gravel the last couple nights. Going from the load level shocks on the deluxe to the fox..the fox need more pre load. Sagged more then expected. Anyone know if fox sells a tool I'd hate to scratch them up with a channel lock

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I picked up my 18 LE over labor day weekend. Been hauling gravel the last couple nights. Going from the load level shocks on the deluxe to the fox..the fox need more pre load. Sagged more then expected. Anyone know if fox sells a tool I'd hate to scratch them up with a channel lock

I don’t like the tool I have from eBay so I would suggest calling Fox

Reactions: sharp and Smitty335
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's where I'm at after 900 miles with my Fox shocks. I'm running 28x10x14 Quadboss tires at 11 psi. I typically ride with 2 adults in the front seat and no rear payload/passengers. I have 1" rear wheel spacers and no rear sway bar. I ride smooth sandy terrain in Med and hard packed rough rocky terrain in Soft. I've never used Firm. I like the ride during aggressive riding in the MED setting but soft really soaks up bumps when terrain is rough. Soft is way too soft for 55mph gravel roads, the machine never settles into corners. I like this set up but it does require a flip of the settings several times a day if terrain varies.

Front .77"
img_20180814_193418-jpg.83894

Rear 1.45"
mvimg_20180814_193317-jpg.83895

Reactions: sharp
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Look online for a williams hook spanner wrench.
I am not sure which diameter to suggest, but you won't find a better tool for it.

2"-4 3/4" Williams 474 Adjustable Hook Spanner Wrenches
4 1/2"-6 1/4" Williams 474A Adjustable Hook Spanner Wrenches

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!