P1000 Did the new air cover fix water ingestion issues?

A

AZdonW

Sep 6, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
New 2020 P1000 here in Arizona. We don't ford too many rivers, but I heard about the issues of early P1000's ingesting water from merely splashing through a puddle. And I read (threads here) that Honda modified the air intake (cover?) on more recent models. We may go through 2' of water on occasion, so I'm not sure we really need a snorkel, but I'm wondering if the Honda fix is adequate.

Reactions: Isaiah
R

rickoshea

New 2020 P1000 here in Arizona. We don't ford too many rivers, but I heard about the issues of early P1000's ingesting water from merely splashing through a puddle. And I read (threads here) that Honda modified the air intake (cover?) on more recent models. We may go through 2' of water on occasion, so I'm not sure we really need a snorkel, but I'm wondering if the Honda fix is adequate.
i blast through some very deep road rut puddles up to a foot deep and so far so good.i'd worry about the gas tank vent before the intake.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Does the Pioneer have a paper air filter like the Talon? If it does, a snorkel with a Uni pod pre filter will increase the life of the stock filter by 'a bunch' of miles. A Talon filter is ~$40 and is lucky to get 400 miles before needing replacement (they're not cleanable). My snorkel mounted Uni needs cleaning once every 1000 miles and the stock filter still looks like new (last checked at 1137 miles). Another advantage on the Talon (sorry) - there are two large o-rings that can cause problems during assembly, the fewer times I have to go in there, the better.

Most of my riding is in Colorado, not as dry as Arizona but not very wet either and a lot of dust. So the snorkel's function is somewhere to mount a cleanable foam pre filter, not water intrusion.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
It definitely helps. Looks like it kills off most of the water issues from puddles and rain water. I’m still a big fan of snorkeling especially after my machine was one of the early ones to go down from just puddles and our close friend we ride with had same issue. But yes I’d say on the average you’d be ok

Glank

Glank

Jul 20, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We just bought a 2020 also and I've taken it through deep enough water to soak my shoes. No issues with the air intake. However, I just bought (like 30 minutes ago) an vent extension kit from RossjRoss.

A

AZdonW

Sep 6, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Does the Pioneer have a paper air filter like the Talon? If it does, a snorkel with a Uni pod pre filter will increase the life of the stock filter by 'a bunch' of miles. A Talon filter is ~$40 and is lucky to get 400 miles before needing replacement (they're not cleanable). My snorkel mounted Uni needs cleaning once every 1000 miles and the stock filter still looks like new (last checked at 1137 miles). Another advantage on the Talon (sorry) - there are two large o-rings that can cause problems during assembly, the fewer times I have to go in there, the better.

Most of my riding is in Colorado, not as dry as Arizona but not very wet either and a lot of dust. So the snorkel's function is somewhere to mount a cleanable foam pre filter, not water intrusion.
I like that use of a snorkel a lot. I might just have to do that! Plenty of dust here!

Reactions: CID
Glank

Glank

Jul 20, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It had rained a lot in northern lower MI prior to the labor day weekend. The swamp water was at high tide.

IMG 49077126a

Reactions: Isaiah and ChadD
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I like that use of a snorkel a lot. I might just have to do that! Plenty of dust here!
More info - I don't know where the Pioneer's filter is or how difficult it is to access. The Talon's is in the bed, so the storage box has to come out, an inconvenience at best, plus the complexity of the o-rings. The snorkel filter is 'right there', I can watch it, know when it needs cleaning, pop it off and put the spare on, all in 20 seconds; there's no guessing about its condition (and missing that guess by a mile :oops: ).

I gXGK7GX M

Reactions: JenElio
A

AZdonW

Sep 6, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I just took apart my air intake box, and it actually has an approx. 4" cube pre-filter. It's not very dense--looks like it's designed to capture some dirt and larger debris. It has a scoop pointing backwards, and it is almost as high as the hood. Part of the box is also a cover for the fuses, so one would have to figure out an alternative for covering them. Don't know if it was like that for previous versions.

Reactions: Glank
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I just took apart my air intake box, and it actually has an approx. 4" cube pre-filter. It's not very dense--looks like it's designed to capture some dirt and larger debris. It has a scoop pointing backwards, and it is almost as high as the hood. Part of the box is also a cover for the fuses, so one would have to figure out an alternative for covering them. Don't know if it was like that for previous versions.
The outer filter on a Uni is quite coarse, I felt it would be pretty ineffective but when I took it off to clean the inner filter I was surprised at how little dirt had gotten through it. I'd oil that 4" cube pre-filter assuming that it's foam and not already oiled. I think that will help a lot although you'll still only have approximately 4" of exposed surface area (but 4" thick) if I'm picturing it right.

My Uni at 1066 miles :oops: (just before its first cleaning). Lots of surface area.
I KRxxBDV XL

A

AZdonW

Sep 6, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The outer filter on a Uni is quite coarse, I felt it would be pretty ineffective but when I took it off to clean the inner filter I was surprised at how little dirt had gotten through it. I'd oil that 4" cube pre-filter assuming that it's foam and not already oiled. I think that will help a lot although you'll still only have approximately 4" of exposed surface area (but 4" thick) if I'm picturing it right.

My Uni at 1066 miles :oops: (just before its first cleaning). Lots of surface area.
View attachment 224362
Here are some photos of 2020 oem. I don't think I've seen any posted, yet.
DSC00786

DSC00787

DSC00788

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Here are some photos of 2020 oem. I don't think I've seen any posted, yet.
View attachment 224365
View attachment 224366
View attachment 224367
That cover is also for the relays (not fuses) they will be fine with out that cover. If you r worried about the relays u can always put some dialectic grease in the connections. But honestly if u are not around much deep water areas I wouldn't worry about it, I would recommend extending the vent lines either way. Good luck!

Glank

Glank

Jul 20, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Reactions: Isaiah and CID
A

AZdonW

Sep 6, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Okay, so I ordered the vent line extension kit and I sprayed the pre-filter with foam filter oil. I think I'd have to go through the hood with a snorkel to get much taller, and I really don't think I'll run into that kind of water here in AZ.

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is that a orange p1000 I haven't seen a orange one. I've never seen one at any dealer around here

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think super lift makes a snorkel that comes out passenger cup holder . i run 2 to 3 feet of water constantly to get to fuel station with no snorkel, just watch the wake and you will be fine . I think pre 2017 the lid opened up into the fender well. That's why they had so many problems.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!