P500 Diesel air heater for P500

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was watching Ukrainian youtube channel about Nissan Leaf , and today they showed something that is portable and easy to install and has very good heat output. They used very small diesel air heater and install it into electric Nissian Leaf (that has lowest battery capacity among other EVs) to preserve battery in winter and heat car same time.

Since we all know that P500 does not have good heat output if connecting heaters into radiator circuit, unless you can fabricate bypass valve.

This is could be another option and could be turned into portable attach/deattach heater that you could use in your garage/van/tent/shop

Lets also compare pricing : to install conventional heater (proper way): heater ~ 370$, bypass valve ~ 100-150$ + installation fee, I think the final value could be up to 600-700$. BUT the result is mediocre heat

This heater Airtronic D2 is very compact - 12"x 4.5" x 4.8", has decent max heat output 2200 watt = 7500 btu/h which is guaranteed compare what really we get installing coolant type of heater . You might say that propane golf cart heater might work , I would not disagree except that its not very convenient, does not allow to direct the air on you windshield and so on. I use propane heater but mostly when we parked.

The price for this German made unit ~ 700$. , similar unit Planar 2D made in Russia - 500$ and few more other brands like VVKB heater

Here is few links
Airtronic D2 - AIRTRONIC D2 - Eberspächer

Planar 2D-12 - this is Russian made - https://www.amazon.com/Diesel-Planar-Webasto-Airtronic-Eberspacher/dp/B01N11D7QJ?tag=sxsweb24-20

You can install it into front storage compartment or made a portable unit that you can plug/unplug into P500 or other units similar to this idea: -
or this -

Portable unit could be fitted into under hood storage area or just be carried on the rack.

Airtronic D2 table ebuk

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
It does look like a good idea, I have a buddy of mine that does parts for peterbuilt, who sells, installs and services those on the side, I never thought of using one in a sxs, probably will roast you out of the cab lol

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It does look like a good idea, I have a buddy of mine that does parts for peterbuilt, who sells, installs and services those on the side, I never thought of using one in a sxs, probably will roast you out of the cab lol

Agree, I wish I knew this from the start and did not invest time into routing my heater and later ending buying another golf car heater, since output was so low.

Reactions: Biteme
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
The D2 even has a petrol version (gas) excellent find. I like the pelican case idea, strap on rear rack plumb heat into cab and off you go. Quick connect for power. Then when you get to destination you can place heater where you like. Will be putting that on the list of to does... albeit down a little ways.

Thanks Solrus

Reactions: Biteme and solrus
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Go with German version , i've read good reviews compare to Planar. Thank you Ukrainian Nissan Leaf enthusiasts here is the video where they install it into Leaf.

I think this is the way to go with Leaf if you own it in poor developed infrastructure country or area with no charging stations and try to preserve every kw to get you home and not for heating

Start at 9:22 min

[COLOR=var(--yt-primary-text-color)][COLOR=var(--paper-checkbox-label-checked-color, var(--paper-checkbox-label-color, var(--primary-text-color)))][COLOR=var(--yt-secondary-text-color)][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Solrus that was a very good find! Very curious how one would hold up in off road situations. The instant heat would be awesome

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Solrus that was a very good find! Very curious how one would hold up in off road situations. The instant heat would be awesome

You tube review, but I assume since they are being installed on boats, different cars they should perform fine under vibration. I think the idea with pelican case was brilliant.

I will get to it after we are back from vacation and might look into install.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I could see maybe a pelican case mount on the roof to save space on the rear rack, my underhood is already full for the most part. Then run heated air via tubing in side cab and return line back from inside cab to reheat saving on temp loss (once full doors are completed of course). Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for the links Solrus.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I could see maybe a pelican case mount on the roof to save space on the rear rack, my underhood is already full for the most part. Then run heated air via tubing in side cab and return line back from inside cab to reheat saving on temp loss (once full doors are completed of course). Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for the links Solrus.
Yep, and direct air from roof to windshield , may be even make one wide hose attachment for simplicity . YouTube more videos with similar type of heater install. Im going to back to Ukraine this spring and might buy it there , looks like full kit around 500$ compare to 800$ here. But those generic Chinese on eBay might be good copy and half price.

Now I think I would go this route if I knew about the existence of such heaters two years ago. I like instant heat, portable, can be used for other applications, and way less pain to install. Even with soft doors should work good.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That one on Ebay looks awesome.. I am curious if the fuel will stay warm enough to not gel up in that pump.
U might just put tank behind your back/seats inside can. I need to check at what temp disiel gels

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I found this"A good example of a fuel treatment is CleanBoost Sno-Cat Diesel Fuel Conditioner which is designed to reduce pour points and diesel fuel gelling in #1, #2, and even B5 and B20 Biodiesels" or adding kerosene should work or try to find gasoline version.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I use grey bottle Power Service with Cetane improver and also Stanadyne and am currently trying a different product, bought in bulk 25 litre plastic box. Will check on the name and post up as I forgot it. All the above I use in my 7.3 powerstroke trucks and VW Touareg 3.0 TDi and actually increases mileage. In Western Canada typically the Diesel vendors provide winter additive packages so you don’t get gelling of fuel.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
What a bummer!!! Put together this beauty heater :), the pump was broken , hrrrrrrr. got a lemon pump

emailed back ebay seller, waiting ..........

View attachment 65593 View attachment 65594 View attachment 65595 View attachment 65596 View attachment 65597 View attachment 65598
Solrus I love the work with the case! Well done that’s probably the best idea, I’ll probably follow along with that if you say exhaust heat inside is minimal. I got mine hooked up on the floor and was pretty impressed with the heat output. Surprisingly quite I thought but pump runs a little loud. I’m excited to hear how she works for you

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Once I get a new pump , I will let you know and video all heat any point you need :), just disappointed I got a bad pump

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!