• Start date
rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
I've got an older 1/2 ton Chevy that has been a great truck, but getting old and the miles are racking up. I'm wanting to get an 8' 3/4 ton with enough payload/towing capacity for towing boat/horse trailers/camper. I'm wanting the 8 footer mostly so I can get the 520 loaded up in the bed and then have the option to tow one of the rigs behind it.

My whole family has always been on the Chevy bandwagon and I hate to go away from that, but I am leaning towards the Dodges in the 3/4 and 1 ton.

I'm heavily debating on the following:

-Low mileage (around 20k) 6.4L Hemi in the $40-45k range
-Lower mileage cummins in the $50-55 range
-Build truck on the Dodge website (brand new) in the $60k range

I have been going back and forth, but not sure what the best long term decision would be. I've put about 150k miles on my 1/2 ton over about 10 years for reference. I don't tow a ton, but tow enough that I need the power to get through/over passes and don't want to be straining or pushing the truck too hard. I think the 6.4 Hemis would be enough power and would be reliable in the long run, but have been reading that the gas mileage is significantly less than the diesels, so the higher cost of diesel might be a trade off for better gas mileage? I also have been thinking about the long term value of diesel and the re-sale value of the truck vs gas. I plan on keeping this for the long haul, but just want to make the right decision.

I do also realize the maintenance on diesels is a lot higher and can cost quite a bit more. I'm just hoping to avoid the regret down the road on not going one way or the other.

Thanks for any guidance/advice!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Well I’d say Dodge because of Cummins but I think that’s a given from me. Inline-6 way to go. But everyone has their own opinion and I’ll bet this thread heats up soon lol.
Operating costs have gotten expensive with clean diesels but one other thing to consider other then power/mileage is resale when it comes that time. Diesel you get your money back.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I just had this same debate.

FYI: You're not going to build much of a truck for $60K.

I originally started looking for Diesel in either a GM or Dodge. I've had some experience with the new Fords.
Then my search began to allow for gas burners as long as it is a 3/4 ton.
My search lasted about 5 months before I found the one I bought.

I found a 2018 Ram 2500 with the 6.4L Hemi. I get 14.5 MPG.

EVERYTHING about a diesel is more expensive. That's part of owning a diesel.

Having just done this... I recommend you decide what you want and don't over analyze every option. If you want a diesel. Buy one. Don't do it because it's cheaper or because you think it will resale higher, or ..... Just get what you want and what your budget will allow.

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
I just had this same debate.

FYI: You're not going to build much of a truck for $60K.

I originally started looking for Diesel in either a GM or Dodge. I've had some experience with the new Fords.
Then my search began to allow for gas burners as long as it is a 3/4 ton.
My search lasted about 5 months before I found the one I bought.

I found a 2018 Ram 2500 with the 6.4L Hemi. I get 14.5 MPG.

EVERYTHING about a diesel is more expensive. That's part of owning a diesel.

Having just done this... I recommend you decide what you want and don't over analyze every option. If you want a diesel. Buy one. Don't do it because it's cheaper or because you think it will resale higher, or ..... Just get what you want and what your budget will allow.

My budget is pretty high, but it makes me sick to think of dropping 60k cash at once...have thought about paying cash for half and financing the rest, financing all at 0% or with rebates, or leasing it with low payments with the plan on buying it out of the lease after its up.

I built this Tradesman pretty much exactly how I want it, with all the options....

Tradesman

Been talking to Dave Smith in Idaho (largest Ram dealer in the nation) and hoping to be closer to $60k for this one.

If I went the gas route - I'd find one for 40-45k and just pay cash for it and be done.

I'm at the point of analysis paralysis

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
My budget is pretty high, but it makes me sick to think of dropping 60k cash at once...have thought about paying cash for half and financing the rest, financing all at 0% or with rebates, or leasing it with low payments with the plan on buying it out of the lease after its up.

I built this Tradesman pretty much exactly how I want it, with all the options....

View attachment 270047
Been talking to Dave Smith in Idaho (largest Ram dealer in the nation) and hoping to be closer to $60k for this one.

If I went the gas route - I'd find one for 40-45k and just pay cash for it and be done.

I'm at the point of analysis paralysis
Ya your from over here, we were just talking about Dave Smith in another thread. That’s a great dealer

Bigtee

Bigtee

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2017
Grayson, KY
Ownership

1. 520

2. 1000-5
I went through the same debate on a new Chevy 2500HD. I had only put 8,000 miles on my truck since I retired in Dec. 2019, so I decided I would look for the truck and price that I wanted. Ended up finding a good deal on one that I liked. It’s a 6.6L gas, I’ve only put a couple hundred miles on it so far but I’m very pleased.

422679B2 635E 4B92 AA74 D2D488B2C042

L

Lloydtheredneck

Sep 14, 2020
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went through the same debate on a new Chevy 2500HD. I had only put 8,000 miles on my truck since I retired in Dec. 2019, so I decided I would look for the truck and price that I wanted. Ended up finding a good deal on one that I liked. It’s a 6.6L gas, I’ve only put a couple hundred miles on it so far but I’m very pleased.

View attachment 282819
how do you like that 6.6 gas? been pondering getting a 3/4 but i do not want the duramax! i wont buy anything but gm so im kinda stuck

Bigtee

Bigtee

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2017
Grayson, KY
Ownership

1. 520

2. 1000-5
So far I really like it. Plenty of power and the truck rides great. I haven’t really checked mileage yet, but according to the display I’ve been getting around 14.6 mpg. I do have a heavy foot too. Haven’t towed anything yet either but you can tell it has plenty of power.

DIRTBILY

DIRTBILY

May 31, 2021
Grantville Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have both a 5.7 hemi and the 6.7 Cummins, both are great but if I'm towing, it the Cummings that's does the job. I regularly pull a 24' trailer with toys to and from various "playgrounds" with no problem. The hemi will pull it but not as effortlessly as the Cummings, obviously. The weirdest thing is, if your backing up a loaded trailer (just a boat) the hemi sucks at it but Cummings no problem.

Both are 2015, both have about 60k currently, bought new, I suggest that, and get the 5 year warranty. Trust me, it will pay off in the long-run.

20210709 223332

G

Gunsite Guy

Apr 19, 2021
Trinidad, Co
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
Been there, done that, and have the experience (War Stories) to prove it. I can dwell on assorted GM V8's, GMC Duramax, F-150 V-8, Super Duty 3/4 ton Gas etc. but I'll skip the details. I had been following the introduction of the new 10 speed trans in the GMC Duramax and the 6.7 liter Powerstroke for almost 3 years. I decided it was the way to go. Last Oct, I bought a 2020 F-250 6.7 power stroke crew cab short bed (6.75'). It now has a Lear topper and the Deck storage drawers in the bed for an extra 465 lbs, Wife and 2 bird dogs add a few pounds and I add, mmm, a bit more. We recently drove from here in Colorado to Greenville, TX, 1268 round trip. I got 22.9 miles per gallon on the way there and on one tank of fuel. On the return trip (uphill :^) towing an 8 1/2 x 16 x 7 cargo trailer (empty) I got 11.1 mpg.

Hard to be precise but my impression was that diesel fuel prices were the same cost or less across the 3 states. Diesel is right around $.10 cheaper per gallon hereabouts. New diesels also requires DEF or diesel engine fluid for emission issues. I find it burns very little for local use and 250 miles of highway mtn driving may burn a quart or 2. A long hard pull with full Toy Hauler to Phoenix, AZ we are talking 2 or 3 gallons. Walmart price is $7.00 for a 2.5 gallons. Haven't worked out the details. Casual conversation among friends indicates the newer GMC and Ford beat the heck out of the Rams on DEF usage.

I picked Ford primarily because the GMC/Chev dealer is approximately 75 miles further and the Ford dealer is a really small town operation where everyone knows everyone by their first name. Same for the Ram dealers. I have a good friend and a nephew who went for the Ram 3500 dually w/Cummins even though no 10 speed as of yet. They tow Momentum 5th wheel toy haulers. Both are very satisfied. They got really good deals through connections.

My recommendation, get a truck, get a diesel truck. Oh, you'll be much happier in the long haul with 3/4 ton. The Ridgeline is not a truck.

s/f Steve

T

Tommyp

Dec 2, 2017
Covington La
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have a 2500 6.6 gas just like yours except it’s a crew cab, same color. Have a little over 8000 miles on it. If I keep it under 60 mph I can get 19 to 20 mpg. Bought a new toy hauler and it’s about 8000 lbs. it get 8 to 9 mpg towing about 68. Nice truck and I like it a lot.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!