P500 Diff synthetic oil recommended P5

Steve00

Steve00

Feb 15, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Riding a lot in Florida wanting to keep diff cool and quieter suggestions for synthetic oil for front and rear diffs and brand/weight

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I used Valvoline Synthetic 80W140, it does help quiet the rear diff a little but not much.

Reactions: Remington
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
On a related note: My rear diff gets super warm. Its full of oil. Does anyone else notice this?

I never really checked the heat on my old 700.

rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
I'm in Central Florida and changed mine out using Lucas 75w140 synthetic in the diffs and Pro Honda HP4S 10w30 synthetic the engine. I was talking to the service mgr. at the dealership and told him I was changing to synthetic. He said he used the Lucas synthetic and the Honda synthetic oil in the engine in his. He repeated the use of Honda oil several times in the conversation. I got the feeling he was trying to tell me something without saying it. It sure quieted the Diffs down as everyone has said it would. I couldn't find the Lucas 75w140 locally and ordered it online and got the Honda oil from the dealer. Next time I will get it all on line as they are sure proud of it at the dealer. Just remember that the synthetic diff grease must be of a type that mixes with standard diff grease (no need to flush), it will say so on the bottle if I remember correctly and the engine oil must be of a type that works with a wet clutch. There isn't anything to changing it out, even I could do it. LOL Have fun! I do. I love working on the little beast. I haven't noticed any overheating but I haven't really checked anything but the engine temp.

Reactions: trigger
SouthParkColorado

SouthParkColorado

Feb 4, 2018
Hartsel, CO & Aurora, CO
www.flickr.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009IF3KFK/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Mobil 1 102490 75W-140 Synthetic Gear Lube - 1 Quart
Product description
Size:1 Quart (32 Ounces)
Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS 75W-140 is a premium performance, synthetic, multi-purpose, automotive gear lubricant designed to meet the highest level performance requirements of many modern passenger vehicles in all types of operating conditions including limited slip applications, as well as deliver outstanding power transfer performance. Compared to conventional hypoid gear lubricants, Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS 75W-140 performs exceptionally over a wide range of temperatures. Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS 75W-140 achieves this through a unique proprietary combination of synthetic base oils and a unique additive system, including the SuperSyn anti-wear system, that delivers optimized viscosity-temperature properties together with the highest level of inherent formulation stability and protects against thermal and oxidative degradation, wear and corrosion, and viscosity loss associated with premature shearing. Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube 75W-140 LS contains special friction modifiers designed for limited slip type differentials. In most applications, the addition of special LS (limited slip) additives is not required. For axles requiring the highest level of limited slip performance, OEM specific LS additives can be added to this fluid.

Last edited:
Reactions: rtn001
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
There are many quality synthetic oil choices as stated above, just keep in mind, it needs to be hypoid type.

Reactions: AlR and rtn001
AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
There are many quality synthetic oil choices as stated above, just keep in mind, it needs to be hypoid type.
Hypoid hypoid hypoid. I did a diff oil change last week. Used the 80-90 I had in the garage. Looked at the container today it said 'limited slip'. Went to Lordco and bought the expensive Royal Blue stuff. It said 'not for ATVs'. Gawd... so went to Honda and bought their gear oil. There is raised lettering on the rear diff that says 'hypoid'!!

I'll find some nice synthetic hypoid oil when I have more time. Gotta get the rig ready for this weekend!! Thanx for emphasizing HYPOID.
Al

T

twodog

Jan 22, 2019
Ozark Mountains
Ownership

1. 500
I am about to do my first differential oil change and have noted the discussions above about hypoid oil. I have a stupid question though. I have looked and looked where is the rear differential drain plug. Is it on the bottom and accessed through the skid plate? I think I feel a plug there but have not jacked up the back end so I can see?

G

Gassygordo

Oct 16, 2017
Fillmore, NY
Ownership

1. 500
I am about to do my first differential oil change and have noted the discussions above about hypoid oil. I have a stupid question though. I have looked and looked where is the rear differential drain plug. Is it on the bottom and accessed through the skid plate? I think I feel a plug there but have not jacked up the back end so I can see?
Yes it is, but I had to flip my skid plate over in order for the drain plug to line up with a hole. I think Honda installed that short pan up side down!

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah, there's a hole under there but it doesn't line up very well. I think I pulled the two back bolts and tipped it down so it didn't run all over the place.

Reactions: Eltobgi
V

vinnie55

Dec 1, 2018
dubuque ia
Ownership

1. 500
Just take a hole saw the same size as the hole next to the rear diff drain plug and than make it an oblong slot by using a sharp utility knife.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
If you are still planning on doing the differential change, I would suggest doing a good cleaning of the unit (be careful at the car wash), but I would get all the mud/debris out making it a bit more enjoyable and keeps unwanted materials out....

Reactions: DaddyDubbs
T

twodog

Jan 22, 2019
Ozark Mountains
Ownership

1. 500
If you are still planning on doing the differential change, I would suggest doing a good cleaning of the unit (be careful at the car wash), but I would get all the mud/debris out making it a bit more enjoyable and keeps unwanted materials out....
Already done it several weeks ago. I have a pressure washer and clean the 500 after every ride so that is not an issue for me. I ended up using Honda gear oil as it was cheap enough and readily available. The differential is noticeably quieter now and shifting much smoother.

16p500

16p500

May 13, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Already done it several weeks ago. I have a pressure washer and clean the 500 after every ride so that is not an issue for me. I ended up using Honda gear oil as it was cheap enough and readily available. The differential is noticeably quieter now and shifting much smoother.
How many bottles did you have to buy? I plan on doing both front and rear.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How many bottles did you have to buy? I plan on doing both front and rear.
One quart should leave you with leftovers.
Capture83

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!