CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I usually ride solo so a spare seems like a good idea to me. I had seen the DRF unit and liked it but he hadn't finalized the 2 R and I was headed for Utah and Arizona in March so I had to find an alternative - that was the FactoryUTV spare carrier. My buddy @Lil_Steve had an extra front wheel waiting for me in AZ. Welp, Covid kilt the hell outta that trip, I never got Steve's spare and rode without all summer. :( That's Pike's Peak in the background.
I zLkF3ZG L

B 4 - fwiw: getting that 52 pound spare on and off this carrier is a real handful for this #oleguy. :oops:
I 6rQjmwH XL

DRF got the 2 R unit finalized including the Talon red powdercoat and I ordered one with a 3 gallon Rotopax which he provides, a good thing because I know it will fit. It's 57 pounds of very nicely done metal fab. It came tightly wrapped in a shipping blanket (and it never occurred to me to take a photo). There are a couple of minor scuffs but no chips. Since I work alone and couldn't possibly position it myself without dinging it, me and/or the Talon, I hung the come-a-long from the attic. This worked extremely well, confirming that, contrary to what my ex said about me, I'm a genius. :p
I 6RWfqD3 X2

It doesn't come with any directions but once I got it in position I could see how everything fit together - all the angles and dangles were right on the mark. ETA: installation instructions are available at - dirtroadfabrication.com
I hk9SVFS X2

The ROPS ends were about 1/8" too narrow, that's almost irrelevant considering he's trying to match Honda's manufacturing tolerances at that particular spot. A little pressure with a spreading bar clamp and everything screwed right together.
I SKwZKsV L

There's one very tight point, removing this screw allowed me to pull the rear corner of the bed out enough to squeeze the front half of the ROPS clamp into place, it was still very tight.
I bGFzWJH XL

After -
I SxntBkD L

I 6Jz8VZB L

I 54CW2Ds L

I MvGgzzQ L

I w2BgtdP X2

Again, because I'll be in the desert solo, I'll run both spares if the weight doesn't become a problem but it's close to 150 pounds + everything I have in a heavy storage box - time will tell. 🤔 You can see the white quick disconnect sway bar link in the up/disc. position.
I d6qrBPV L

30" Chicane RX tires on STI HD9 wheels (6+1 front, 4+3 rear). The spares are on stock wheels, one front, one rear.
I Rj9gxnr X2

Checking my minimum tongue weight, I don't have much room to spare on a 14' trailer. But that's minimum, I'll pull it forward a couple of inches.
I pgq465g L

Last edited:
eagleXP

eagleXP

Sep 18, 2020
Longview
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I was looking at that quick connect sway bar last night. It was not cheap, I was wondering if you could tell me some more about it. Your thoughts and how the thunder chicken does crawling disconnected.

Reactions: Smitty335 and TxDoc
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I was looking at that quick connect sway bar last night. It was not cheap, I was wondering if you could tell me some more about it. Your thoughts and how the thunder chicken does crawling disconnected.
I'm a mechanic by instinct, not profession. I was a bit disappointed that the bolts used fit loosely in both the sway bar and in the trailing arm holes. The stock bolts fit really tight in the trailing arm, to the point I had to use a mallet to get them out. When a bolt fits that well, the fit itself carries the load and the nut just keeps it from working itself out. When the bolts have too much clearance, the load carrying ability depends on the tightness of the nut. Maybe it doesn't matter in this application but I was comparing it to the stock fittings and they weren't as good, IMO.

Saying all that, mine will be disconnected most of the time so it doesn't really matter.

Crawling - This is my first year with a SxS, so I don't have anything to compare with and I ride alone so have to be a bit conservative and don't have anyone to show me what I can get away with. I know it's gone up s*** that amazed me and Lil_Steve did things with his (stock) at the SxS rally in Hurricane, Utah that I'll never try. I've read :oops: that the Talon is really good at crawling beside Steve's and my experience. Disconnecting the SB definitely allows better articulation and it lessens either front lifting wildly into the air when the rear drops in a hole.

Yes, it has that low rpm stall in particular situations but I'm willing to work around that simply because the dual range, 6 speed DCT is so damn much fun to drive - the throttle is connected directly to the tires just like my dirt bikes. Yippie Kai Yay :eek: Since the Talon is my 'trainer' SxS, I'll learn to drive to its peculiarities and never be aware of where it falls short next to a belt drive. I snowmobiled for 25 years and will do whatever it takes to never own another belt driven machine.

Last edited:
Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Great write up and photos! What's your impression of the hinge, a full sized spare tire and a 3 gallon Roto-Pax can is considerable weight.

The red color ties in nicely viewed from the back. It may be a little while before I get around to it, but I intend to get this extender with the spare mount in the lower position. My want list is becoming longer and longer, I may just have to go out and get a job. Nah.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Great write up and photos! What's your impression of the hinge, a full sized spare tire and a 3 gallon Roto-Pax can is considerable weight.

The red color ties in nicely viewed from the back. It may be a little while before I get around to it, but I intend to get this extender with the spare mount in the lower position. My want list is becoming longer and longer, I may just have to go out and get a job. Nah.
Thanks, Dude. :cool: I think the red POPS really well on the otherwise black back end.

The hinge is TIGHT, I have to push the tailgate open, quite forcefully, it's a quality fitment. I opened it to check it out, it has a spring loaded plunger about 1/2" in diameter that fits snugly in its receptacle. He's added a 6" rubber bumper to eliminate an earlier reported rattle. Everything fits so tight that I had to use a bar clamp to get the plunger lined up again. I'd rather have that than a poor fit and rattle. It'll break in from the inevitable flexing and should get easier to latch. Even if it doesn't, I can still get in the storage box reasonably easily and I can't stand rattles caused by poor fittings (as I said above about the quick disc sway bar assembly, no rattle but poor fittings).

I went with the standard height spare because I didn't want to compromise my departure angle but I have no point of reference so it was simply a guess. 🤔 Looking at my own pics, I think a rearview mirror might be useless and I'd hoped to add one because the 2 side views aren't enough coverage. If that's the case, backup cameras are affordable.

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
If I'm going to start over, I'm hoping I'll have some sort of rear visibility (at least more than what I have now) with the spare mounted lower. I've tried 3 different set of side mirrors in search of nirvana, haven't found it yet. Backup cam is always an option too.

D

Dirt-roadfab

Aug 25, 2018
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks, Dude. :cool: I think the red POPS really well on the otherwise black back end.

The hinge is TIGHT, I have to push the tailgate open, quite forcefully, it's a quality fitment. I opened it to check it out, it has a spring loaded plunger about 1/2" in diameter that fits snugly in its receptacle. He's added a 6" rubber bumper to eliminate an earlier reported rattle. Everything fits so tight that I had to use a bar clamp to get the plunger lined up again. I'd rather have that than a poor fit and rattle. It'll break in from the inevitable flexing and should get easier to latch. Even if it doesn't, I can still get in the storage box reasonably easily and I can't stand rattles caused by poor fittings (as I said above about the quick disc sway bar assembly, no rattle but poor fittings).

I went with the standard height spare because I didn't want to compromise my departure angle but I have no point of reference so it was simply a guess. 🤔 Looking at my own pics, I think a rearview mirror might be useless and I'd hoped to add one because the 2 side views aren't enough coverage. If that's the case, backup cameras are affordable.

The hinges will loosen up and the weatherstripping does relax. Your machine looks awesome. Thank you for again for your business and for posting

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The hinges will loosen up and the weatherstripping does relax. Your machine looks awesome. Thank you for again for your business and for posting
The tight fitment of everything including the snug hinges and latch is exactly what I wanted, I feel it shows American quality in engineering. You got my business because you built exactly what I wanted - a bed extender, spare and Roto-Pax carrier and did an exceptional job with high quality craftsmanship, a dying American symbol. You answered an e-mail question quickly about the fit of the 3 gallon Roto-Pax and changed your website to answer that question for others - you earned my business. You even sourced the Roto-Pax and included it in my package. 👍

Disclaimer - I don't know DRF, he didn't ask for this review; he makes a quality accessory for the Talon, the product and his customer support earned this feedback.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't remember names very often, but I remember Jared reaching out and answering a couple questions that I had on his 1000 rear rack design. Very fast response and willing to make any thing I wanted. I ended up going a different route with mine, but not for lack of the quality of his products. If you are interested in a rear rack and other accessories, give Jared a try. From everything I have seen you won't be disappointed. @CID hit the nail on the head about the dying American symbol of workmanship, so it is nice to find some great products that truly represent the 'Made in USA' logo.

Last edited:
IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
The tight fitment of everything including the snug hinges and latch is exactly what I wanted, I feel it shows American quality in engineering. You got my business because you built exactly what I wanted - a bed extender, spare and Roto-Pax carrier and did an exceptional job with high quality craftsmanship, a dying American symbol. You answered an e-mail question quickly about the fit of the 3 gallon Roto-Pax and changed your website to answer that question for others - you earned my business. You even sourced the Roto-Pax and included it in my package. 👍

Disclaimer - I don't know DRF, he didn't ask for this review; he makes a quality accessory for the Talon, the product and his customer support earned this feedback.
CID, Where did you obtain those shock covers?

B

Brazula4life

Jan 19, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. Talon R
Lo
I usually ride solo so a spare seems like a good idea to me. I had seen the DRF unit and liked it but he hadn't finalized the 2 R and I was headed for Utah and Arizona in March so I had to find an alternative - that was the FactoryUTV spare carrier. My buddy @Lil_Steve had an extra front wheel waiting for me in AZ. Welp, Covid kilt the hell outta that trip, I never got Steve's spare and rode without all summer. :( That's Pike's Peak in the background.
View attachment 234124

B 4 - fwiw: getting that 52 pound spare on and off this carrier is a real handful for this #oleguy. :oops:
View attachment 234137

DRF got the 2 R unit finalized including the Talon red powdercoat and I ordered one with a 3 gallon Rotopax which he provides, a good thing because I know it will fit. It's 57 pounds of very nicely done metal fab. It came tightly wrapped in a shipping blanket (and it never occurred to me to take a photo). There are a couple of minor scuffs but no chips. Since I work alone and couldn't possibly position it myself without dinging it, me and/or the Talon, I hung the come-a-long from the attic. This worked extremely well, confirming that, contrary to what my ex said about me, I'm a genius. :p
View attachment 234125

It doesn't come with any directions but once I got it in position I could see how everything fit together - all the angles and dangles were right on the mark. ETA: installation instructions are available at - dirtroadfabrication.com
View attachment 234126

The ROPS ends were about 1/8" too narrow, that's almost irrelevant considering he's trying to match Honda's manufacturing tolerances at that particular spot. A little pressure with a spreading bar clamp and everything screwed right together.
View attachment 234128

There's one very tight point, removing this screw allowed me to pull the rear corner of the bed out enough to squeeze the front half of the ROPS clamp into place, it was still very tight.
View attachment 234129

After -
View attachment 234131

View attachment 234132

View attachment 234133

View attachment 250262

View attachment 250264

Again, because I'll be in the desert solo, I'll run both spares if the weight doesn't become a problem but it's close to 150 pounds + everything I have in a heavy storage box - time will tell. 🤔 You can see the white quick disconnect sway bar link in the up/disc. position.
View attachment 234134

30" Chicane RX tires on STI HD9 wheels (6+1 front, 4+3 rear). The spares are on stock wheels, one front, one rear.
View attachment 234135

Checking my minimum tongue weight, I don't have much room to spare on a 14' trailer. But that's minimum, I'll pull it forward a couple of inches.
View attachment 234136
Love the look, those 2 bars on the bottom going vertical from the frame to the tire carrier are those the extended metal option on the drf website? Also did you go with the high mount or low mound, looks like a high mound.
How much did it help with the bucking? Planning on getting a live valve model i wonder if would be a problem with the extra weight in the back.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Love the look, those 2 bars on the bottom going vertical from the frame to the tire carrier are those the extended metal option on the drf website? Also did you go with the high mount or low mound, looks like a high mount.
How much did it help with the bucking? Planning on getting a live valve model I wonder if would be a problem with the extra weight in the back.
Thanks.

I think you misread 'expanded' metal - stock, the bottom is mostly open, smaller items can fall through, he'll put an expanded metal bottom on it to contain those smaller items. The two down tubes are an important part of the structure and are mandatory.

I went with the high mount for best departure angle, @Lil_Steve went with the low mount for better rear visibility.

It hasn't been on long enough to know whether it will help with the bucking, Shock Therapy says rear weight will help with that though and they have the experience to know.

With the extender, two spares and a full storage box, my stock springs are maxed out. That doesn't bother me because I'm headed for Arizona soon and hope to have Weller Racing revalve and respring the shocks to handle the weight. With one spare, the stock springs on your LV should work fine but you'll have to tighten your preload a bit to get your stock ground clearance back. I'm not sure if the LV shocks are the same diameter as mine but the link in my sig has a link for the spanner that fits 2-1/2" Fox shocks.

Showing how a rear view mirror will see the high mount. The other black thing that looks like a huge rear view mirror is the overhead spare itself.
I MfcJ6G3 XL

B

bk5r

Apr 13, 2020
Congress, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks.

I think you misread 'expanded' metal - stock, the bottom is mostly open, smaller items can fall through, he'll put an expanded metal bottom on it to contain those smaller items. The two down tubes are an important part of the structure and are mandatory.

I went with the high mount for best departure angle, @Lil_Steve went with the low mount for better rear visibility.

It hasn't been on long enough to know whether it will help with the bucking, Shock Therapy says rear weight will help with that though and they have the experience to know.

With the extender, two spares and a full storage box, my stock springs are maxed out. That doesn't bother me because I'm headed for Arizona soon and hope to have Weller Racing revalve and respring the shocks to handle the weight. With one spare, the stock springs on your LV should work fine but you'll have to tighten your preload a bit to get your stock ground clearance back. I'm not sure if the LV shocks are the same diameter as mine but the link in my sig has a link for the spanner that fits 2-1/2" Fox shocks.

Showing how a rear view mirror will see the high mount. The other black thing that looks like a huge rear view mirror is the overhead spare itself.
View attachment 253610
Talk about a picture worth a thousand words. Now anyone have a picture of a low mount? Will all this fit on a 12' trailer?
Bob K

Reactions: CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Talk about a picture worth a thousand words. Now anyone have a picture of a low mount? Will all this fit on a 12' trailer?
Bob K
You might have problems with tongue weight on a 12' trailer, not sure. This is mine on a 14' er with 250 lb TW which is on the low side (RV limitations) but it tows well so I'm good. My trailer fenders are narrower than the Talon so I can only pull forward another ~3".

I SWv6W2c XL

B

bk5r

Apr 13, 2020
Congress, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
You might have problems with tongue weight on a 12' trailer, not sure. This is mine on a 14' er with 250 lb TW which is on the low side (RV limitations) but it tows well so I'm good. My trailer fenders are narrower than the Talon so I can only pull forward another ~3".

View attachment 253650
Thanks for the info. I can handle >750# tongue weight w/ my Avalanche so no problem there. Length might be ok cause my trailer has a fold in half gate and I think the spare could hang over it if needed.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for the info. I can handle >750# tongue weight w/ my Avalanche so no problem there. Length might be ok cause my trailer has a fold in half gate and I think the spare could hang over it if needed.
My concern is not enough tongue weight if you can't pull forward enough with our engine in the rear. You can load backwards to solve that problem and I think that's why Honda put vents in the roof -- backward towing. Do you already have the trailer?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!