P500 Does a TORQ Locker need power steering?

LordByron444

LordByron444

Nov 18, 2018
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Those of you who’ve installed a torq locker, did the steering get harder to turn? I have the torq locker but haven’t installed it yet. Who’s added power steering and does it work good?

Reactions: rtn001
WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
Added P/S after adding the T Locker. The locker only added a little extra effort to turn but the P/S made it so I can ride hours and left shoulder not get tired from using left hand suicide knob. Left shoulder used to ache after long rides but not anymore.

WB

MarlinWalker

MarlinWalker

Aug 25, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I don't own a locker (yet) but am seriously considering it. I'm also interested in the answers to this thread. I originally wrote it off as not going to happen because most everybody has the power steering mod and the consensus seemed to be that you should have it if you have the locker. My heater build takes up all the space a power steering unit would go so PS is out of the question.

My questions for the non-power steering crew:

1. In 2wd, is the locker very noticeable? I have read some accounts that it can pull you into the corners while driving aggressively but it only seems like it would do this if you were in 4wd. If the resistance to ratcheting is very high then maybe it would affect the 2wd performance. Maybe somebody can clarify that for me.

2. In 4wd, is the resistance to steering seriously heavier? I would expect some and that is a fair trade-off. I just wouldn't want it to be so bad that my wife would have trouble operating it in 4wd. She is mostly in 2wd when and where she rides but I wouldn't want it to exlude her from 4wd.

FYI, I run 26" tires so I'm not seriously over sized to add to the steering issue even more.

Thanks

Reactions: rtn001 and mrjeff42
ToolmanJohn

ToolmanJohn

Mar 20, 2018
Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Those of you who’ve installed a torq locker, did the steering get harder to turn? I have the torq locker but haven’t installed it yet. Who’s added power steering and does it work good?

I had the locker installed for about a month without PS: I found it quite difficult to steer tight corners even in 2 wheel drive. The PS made a huge difference!

John

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I had the locker installed for about a month without PS: I found it quite difficult to steer tight corners even in 2 wheel drive. The PS made a huge difference!

John
I put the locker in last year, still don't have PS. In 2wd the only difference is an occasional clicking noise when turning sharp at slow speeds, I notice no difference in steering effort. In 4wd there is a little more resistance but I think it's minimal, sharp turns in 4wd you can feel some feedback but not enough for me to want to add PS.

865Pioneer500

865Pioneer500

Jul 5, 2018
Corryton, TN
Ownership

1. 500
I've seen no difference in steering effort or radius in 2wd with the torq locker. It is, however much harder to steer in 4wd, which is only used as needed, so I'm keeping mine manual steering for simplicity's sake.

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I have 30" interco's. (Tractor tire) No way would you drive this on the trail without the PS now that it has a locker. My wife or a smaller person would not be able to go far. Could you use harder all terrain tires or stock tires and get by, it looks like it from what I read here.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!