P500 Does Torque Locker need Power steering?

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Torq Locker or not it's better with ESP.
ESP??Trigger ,I thought you were through with mods,and now yours has ESP? [could'nt resist,LoL] I had eps before adding my locker,so I can't really say,but I feel sure one would be ok without it,but it is really nice.Probably not as nice as a ESP equipped machine which most likely knows where you want to go and steers itself:D,but still a great mod.Trigger when are you going to let the rest of us see this new ESP mod?Pictures???:)

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
ESP??Trigger ,I thought you were through with mods,and now yours has ESP? [could'nt resist,LoL] I had eps before adding my locker,so I can't really say,but I feel sure one would be ok without it,but it is really nice.Probably not as nice as a ESP equipped machine which most likely knows where you want to go and steers itself:D,but still a great mod.Trigger when are you going to let the rest of us see this new ESP mod?Pictures???:)
lmao

tomcj2

tomcj2

I forgot the ditch was so close
Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
N. Shore Lake Huron,Northern Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 500
The TorqLocker is something that you seldom, if ever, really require, but if you do need it you will be thankful that you spent the money on it.
Power steering is used every time you go for a ride and you will wonder why you had not installed one last year.
To answer your question (Does Torque Locker need Power steering?) I would reply: No, but it certainly compliments it.

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

Lmao! Thought about going back and editing it but now I just have to leave it. The only ESP it has is knowing that I'll spend more time and money on it. Good sh** Boss! :D

LordByron444

LordByron444

Nov 18, 2018
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Gentleman,
I've had both shoulders operated on in the last 3 years.Not to mention 5 hand surgeries, 2 knee's, and lower back. Having fun has it's price, IE Motocross... My upper body strength isn't close to what it once was.
I bought the TQ Locker but have not installed it yet. Still in the box for a year. I've asked this question before in FB groups but not everyone has a TQ Locker. One person however said after installing the locker the steering was much harder. Well, my P-500 steers hard enough as is so I think I'll add P/S first. My younger crazy days are behind me. I'll ride and enjoy the outdoors and watch you young people do what I used to do. That is generally funny in itself.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
@LordByron444 , I hear you. Wise choice with the PS first. I bought a steering wheel knob thinking I needed it, but the PS by itself allows me to spin the wheel with the palm of my hand, so the knob is collecting dust. I really didn’t notice any more strain after I added the locker later.

Wallace

Wallace

Well that didn't go as planned
Lifetime Member
Jun 28, 2017
Lonoke Arkansas
Ownership

1. 500
Power steering is the first mod I did. I just got back from riding in the Rockies. I don't think I would have had the same experience without power steering. It makes a world of difference not having to fight the wheel.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I don't think I would have had the same experience without power steering.
Nope, you wouldn’t have, the wife and I were impressed watching you handle the P5 making those split second decisions on where to put your feet on those large rocky trails trying to keep up with the 1000’s. Without ESP (lol) you would have been screwed.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Nope, you wouldn’t have, the wife and I were impressed watching you handle the P5 making those split second decisions on where to put your feet on those large rocky trails trying to keep up with the 1000’s. Without ESP (lol) you would have been screwed.
Yep, EPS and a locker helped following a P1000 over big rocks.
Bryant’s Cove / Coalmont Labor Day weekend.

Morpheus

Morpheus

Supporting Member
May 6, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
I saw Jason Dimmick's video from Appalachian Mountain Riders where he installed the locker and did a test with and without PS. It seemed that when he had it disconnected it was more difficult to steer. It was a good video and test. I would recommend you check it out to help you make your decision.

Reactions: 70Bones
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I saw Jason Dimmick's video from Appalachian Mountain Riders where he installed the locker and did a test with and without PS. It seemed that when he had it disconnected it was more difficult to steer. It was a good video and test. I would recommend you check it out to help you make your decision.
Yes, that was a detailed effort he did on that video. Kudos to Jason, AMR!

LordByron444

LordByron444

Nov 18, 2018
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

I watched that video back when he installed the locker. I didn't think he had power steering on his P500.
My 500 steers hard enough without P/S. Years ago, (1985) i had a old Jeep CJ-7 that had a 232 V6 Buick engine and I got stuck in the snow and popped the front diff. Money was tight so I welded the spider gears up solid. I'd unlock the front hubs to drive it on the road and off road, it took both hands and a buddy to steer it.
I am assuming the torque locker is able to ratchet around turns to some degree but stay locked when you lose traction on one wheel. Those of you who have the Tq/L , can you hear or feel it ratcheting?

Reactions: JWB
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Only rarely can I feel/faintly hear the ratchet on hard surface under torque (acceleration). By design the pin slides off center in the “oblong clam shell hole” to separate the halves to mate the ratchets only under increasing torque, so you could let up on gas to turn the wheel easily. Someone correct me if wrong. Its an interesting design. Have power steering so no issue.

DB3E0B3C 5600 4EAB AC2A 2B7D1B3FB9EA

Last edited:
Reactions: JWB
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Only rarely can I feel/faintly hear the ratchet on hard surface under torque (acceleration). By design the pin only slides in the “oblong clam shell hole” to mate the ratchets under increasing torque, so you could let up on gas to turn the wheel easily. Someone correct me if wrong. Its an interesting design. Have power steering so no issue.

View attachment 156508
You are correct, it only lock while under load. So to make corners easier, let off the gas pedal and coast thru.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!