Door Netting - Stay or Go

Blacklab16671

Blacklab16671

Jan 18, 2023
Virginia
Ownership

1. 700-2
I just brought home a new 700 Deluxe this past Saturday. This is my first SxS. My first impression is I don't like the netting over the doors and I am thinking about removing it. Is it needed/required to ride any trails? I am not interested in racing or mudding. My wife and I want to ride at a leisurely pace to enjoy what nature has to offer. Thoughts?

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just brought home a new 700 Deluxe this past Saturday. This is my first SxS. My first impression is I don't like the netting over the doors and I am thinking about removing it. Is it needed/required to ride any trails? I am not interested in racing or mudding. My wife and I want to ride at a leisurely pace to enjoy what nature has to offer. Thoughts?
It’s there to keep arms, hands, heads and body parts inside the SxS so they aren’t crushed/pinned under the SxS in the event of a tip or roll over. It also keeps branches from smacking you in the face.

That said, many people remove them. I don’t know of a single trail system that shuts down access because they are removed. I’d recommend keeping them in a box on a shelf somewhere if you do remove them. I’ve seen a few people decide they want them back and even more that have sent them to other members that have broken a fastener or bought a used unit that didn’t have them.

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Lisa named them drunk catchers. We removed them because it's more likely to f*** us up getting in and out than practical for keeping us safe imo. We took then off and never looked back. I do run honda soft doors on both the talon and pioneer.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
... We removed them because it's more likely to f*** us up getting in and out ...
Never thought about having to get out past the nets if I tip over. With the SATV windshield, that could be a problem, the opening isn't very wide on a Talon. 🤔 I'll have to think about that.

The only time I put mine up is when it's raining, they seem to deflect enough water to be worth leaving them on. I also 'imagined' that they might help with plants whipping me even though they're only 1/2 there (45* on a Talon). The mesh is too fine, I can't stand looking through them.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I just brought home a new 700 Deluxe this past Saturday
Welcome from The Putrid Swamp Run Michigan!

First things first when u join, we need pics of your ride. Its unwritten forum rule #4
Pics Or It Didn't Happen!

As for the nets, take them off. But its ultimately up to u. If ur taking your lab with u like I've done my labs, id put the rears up for that. otherwise there just a pain in the ass to deal with

R

RedorDead

Jan 3, 2023
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

First things first when u join, we need pics of your ride. Its unwritten forum rule #4

As for the nets, take them off. But its ultimately up to u. If ur taking your lab with u like I've done my labs, id put the rears up for that. otherwise there just a pain in the ass to deal with
That’s a good point I neglected to mention. I use the rear nets for the dogs. Plus I use a cargo net across the rear so they don’t fall out over the tailgate.

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Never thought about having to get out past the nets if I tip over. With the SATV windshield, that could be a problem, the opening isn't very wide on a Talon. 🤔 I'll have to think about that.

The only time I put mine up is when it's raining, they seem to deflect enough water to be worth leaving them on. I also 'imagined' that they might help with plants whipping me even though they're only 1/2 there (45* on a Talon). The mesh is too fine, I can't stand looking through them.
I have intrusion bars in the cage on the pioneer and soon to come with the talon too. I never considered climbing out through the windshield. Sounds much better than climbing out through the up facing door onto an already unstable vehicle.

R

Rdrcr

Aug 16, 2022
WA
Ownership

1. 520
I hate the nets, but, I'm leaving them installed. I figure, in the event of a rollover (which is apparently somewhat common with the P500/P520) it could save some limbs or prevent a more serious injury.

I'd remove the nets if we typically drove with helmets and basic safety gear, but, we don't.

Mike

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I left them on because on the P5 if you disconnect them from the top it makes a good arm rest (think arm hammock). The wife likes them on her side for that slapped in the face reason.

That's exactly how we're rolling too. Mine is disconnected at the top, still covers some but I can see better that way. Wife's side stays up.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I ride with the wife and kids pretty much always, took my net off day one but always put down the rears for the kids and wife uses hers pretty often too. We ride a lot of tight brush trails so they do come in handy. You can always strap'm up outta the way..........my 2 cents

Blacklab16671

Blacklab16671

Jan 18, 2023
Virginia
Ownership

1. 700-2

Mine is only a 2 seater. I do plan on taking the labs and that is one of my future problems to solve. I wish there was a net system like is available for a Jeep Wrangler. I have looked but have not found anything yet.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine is only a 2 seater. I do plan on taking the labs and that is one of my future problems to solve. I wish there was a net system like is available for a Jeep Wrangler. I have looked but have not found anything yet.
Dog harness and a seat belt clip can keep the pup safe if you need an alternate route. 👍🏻

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!