P1000 DragonFire canvas softTop

W

wittryd

Nov 12, 2019
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone have experience with the DragonFire canvas softTop for the 1000-5? I have 2.5 inches of clearance above my cage to get it into an enclosed trailer so the OEM hardTop and many others are "too tall." Does the DragonFire (1) stretch almost directly on top of roll cage, (2) keep water out, (3) sturdy/value/quality?

vendor link: SoftTop for Honda Pioneer 5-Seater | Roofs | Body | DragonFire Racing
__thanks in advance

Reactions: Biteme and Isaiah
dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would second @HondaTech statement. Esp if you are looking to "keep water out"- I think a hard top is going to be your best bet. I designed and made a soft top similar to what alien shade makes, only with a waterproof rip stop nylon material. It does a good job with shade and a light sprinkle, but honestly if it really rains you're getting wet. That's probably true of anything but a full cab enclosure though.

The advantage is that the only thing that touches the outside of the cage is the bungees, which are easily and cheaply replaceable if they get caught up and torn on a tree.

W

wittryd

Nov 12, 2019
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven't found any soft top that will last once a tree gets ahold of it.

Unless your riding out in the desert I wouldn't waste the time or money on one.
I think I'll go with the Kolpin. It is heavy/sturdy (side effect: top-heavy), yet head clearance is a main concern (to get into enclosed trailer w/78" opening height).

Honda® Pioneer® 1000 Crew Steel Roof | Kolpin

H

HondaTech

Another thing to consider, I'd your getting a hard roof (beside the Honda one) make sure it extends past the front roll cage cross bar.

I rode in a Pioneer 1000 the other day after it rained that ended just shy of that bar and water fell right in your lap.

Sowie

Sowie

Dec 7, 2019
Bunnell, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the dragon fire canvas roof for the same reason you state as overhead clearance is an issue in my toy hauler. It is made of a fairly heavy duty canvas material and it’s only 1/4 the cost of the hard top so you could tear up 4 of them before you would equal the cost of the hardtop. And yes it fits directly over the frame.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Z

Zaccatdaddy

Feb 28, 2020
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
@Sowie.
Does it keep a light rain out? Once the canvas is water logged it probably drips in?

Z

Zaccatdaddy

Feb 28, 2020
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So Sowie how do you like the dragonfiee top so far? I just bought the sxs tonight. But the OEM soft top said hondas doesn’t fit with a windshield. Not sure if this is true. But I’m looking for option

Reactions: Biteme
Sowie

Sowie

Dec 7, 2019
Bunnell, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Sowie.
Does it keep a light rain out? Once the canvas is water logged it probably drips in?

It is water proof however it collects water in the center sections. No drips through canvas. Just have to get inside and push up to make water run off the sides.

Sowie

Sowie

Dec 7, 2019
Bunnell, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So Sowie how do you like the dragonfiee top so far? I just bought the sxs tonight. But the OEM soft top said hondas doesn’t fit with a windshield. Not sure if this is true. But I’m looking for option

I still like it for the price and I also have a headroom issue with my toy hauler so this is my only option. I have the super Atv split windshield and light bar mounted above it. All fits and light bar is same height as roll bar. Ebb90709a8ad265cd6944880d039fc92

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Have had a soft top a long time ago cuz of space and being cheap not to buy the Honda hard top. It was the absolute worse decision and purchase I ever made. Don’t care who the F makes the one u want, they just suck ass! Can’t open trailer them, forget any kind of wind on trail , cleaning them suck and taking them off and on is a PITA. I delt with it all. Sold that bastard on eBay as soon as I got the Hard top and that wasn’t soon enough. So save yourself the heartache and just get yourself some sort of a hard top and lower your tire pressure if you need to get it to fit in a trailer or TH! Don’t worry It will be ok I promise ;)

Reactions: Biteme and TripleB
Sowie

Sowie

Dec 7, 2019
Bunnell, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As you can see everyone has there own opinion however for me letting air out of my tires does nothing as they are really stiff and don’t sink down even with zero pressure. Also I have trailered mine at 65mph with no problems so far. It depends on what your issues are that you have to overcome.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
As you can see everyone has there own opinion however for me letting air out of my tires does nothing as they are really stiff and don’t sink down even with zero pressure. Also I have trailered mine at 65mph with no problems so far. It depends on what your issues are that you have to overcome.

That was a shot!:cool:

Awsome bro ! Go for it if it works for you!
But Since your tires are too stiff like the rest of us, just pull your ratchet straps tighter and pull her down, you’ll gain your depth.
Also Don’t got faster than 65 or you’ll have a parachute in your rear window! Mine did twice and was quite embarrassing going back to get it.

Z

Zaccatdaddy

Feb 28, 2020
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Well thanks for the responses. And opinions. I won’t be running a top very often. Just when it rains. Hoping to fold it up and store it and then be able to install quickly on the trail of needed

Sowie

Sowie

Dec 7, 2019
Bunnell, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That was a shot!:cool:

Awsome bro ! Go for it if it works for you!
But Since your tires are too stiff like the rest of us, just pull your ratchet straps tighter and pull her down, you’ll gain your depth.
Also Don’t got faster than 65 or you’ll have a parachute in your rear window! Mine did twice and was quite embarrassing going back to get it.

No shot intended.

I’m only 6 months into mine so time will tell.

Sowie

Sowie

Dec 7, 2019
Bunnell, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well thanks for the responses. And opinions. I won’t be running a top very often. Just when it rains. Hoping to fold it up and store it and then be able to install quickly on the trail of needed

FYI it’s not a 5 min install. Not that hard either but if you feel sprinkles it will be too late to not get wet. There are 6 hose clamps and you have to get a helper to pull down while you tighten the clamps to get it stretched tight.

michdave

michdave

Apr 28, 2019
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had the Dragon Fire soft-top and it had it's ups and downs. The biggest thing I didn't care for, was that it had a huge gap in the front between the windshield and the top. I wish that they added 3 inches of material up there to help stop rain entering the cab. On the flip side, Even with it on and the windshield in-place, you got some good ventilation and it helped evacuate the hot air out of the cab. The material is a little thin, but it did it's job to keep the sun and water out. Water never leaked through the top...I just didn't like that I could see light gaps in all the seams and where there was attachment tabs sewn on. The good part about the thin material is that it folds up really small, so you can stuff the thing in the glove box or some other cubby pretty easily. It adds virtually no height, so that's a plus for shorter garages and/or trailers if height is a concern. (I replaced mine with the Honda Soft-Top and back window, and I have to remove the bows to put the machine in the trailer because they add 3 inches of height.) I did not trailer with it because it wasn't taunt as say, my Honda soft-top with the bows, so I never wanted to risk it ripping off. And I as stated earlier, I could see gaps where the attachments were sewn on, so I feared that it would rip if the wind pressure was too much.

As far as trees and limbs, I never had an issue. But granted, I don't drive my machine like it's a bull dozer and plow my way through overgrown trees and bushes. I have, on multiple occasions squeezed under low-hanging limbs and never had an issue. Just be mindful of broken-off or pointy ends of limbs and you won't have an issue.

After riding in machine with the hard-top and comparing it the soft-tops I've had....I don't think I'll add a hard top to be honest. They are quite a bit louder and resonate the sound of the engine a lot. If you're wearing a helmet, that may not matter. But I haven't worn a helmet yet, so I like the cab staying as quiet as possible.

As far as installation and removal, do yourself a favor and purchase 4 of the universal Velcro Windshield mounts off of eBay. I used those instead of the hose-clamps that Dragon Fire provided to hold the top on in the four corners. They're easy, and they're fast. You'll pull the top on/off in 5-10 mins. (link below)

UTV Windshield Clamps for Gator Quick Connect Mounting Pack of 4 | eBay

Everyone seems to have some strong opinions on the subject, but to each their own. I can see the benefits of the hard top and a soft top so I think everyone just has to pick what's best for them. Those are just the experiences I had with them.

Last edited:
michdave

michdave

Apr 28, 2019
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I added the Honda soft-top to my machine with the Super ATV Flip-up windshield and it fits. The soft top overlaps the windshield but still allows it to easily flip up or down. The Honda soft top comes with an aluminum windshield channel that the top slides into, so that it is secured to the windshield, preventing wind/rain from entering above the windshield. The mounting holes were setup for Honda's windshield, but I simply added two more holes and it bolted right on to my SuperATV windshield. So, it 's connected and there's no gaps.

As I mentioned in my above post, the Dragon Fire top is too short to attach to the windshields and will leave a 2-3" gap.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
As for more noise with the hard top. I suppose yes it’s louder. If I remember right it is a UTV not a Lincoln 🤔 😂 But either way I drowned out most noise with my stereo. Some of that noise is my cute brunette passenger 😘🙂

Z

Zaccatdaddy

Feb 28, 2020
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I added the Honda soft-top to my machine with the Super ATV Flip-up windshield and it fits. The soft top overlaps the windshield but still allows it to easily flip up or down. The Honda soft top comes with an aluminum windshield channel that the top slides into, so that it is secured to the windshield, preventing wind/rain from entering above the windshield. The mounting holes were setup for Honda's windshield, but I simply added two more holes and it bolted right on to my SuperATV windshield. So, it 's connected and there's no gaps.

As I mentioned in my above post, the Dragon Fire top is too short to attach to the windshields and will leave a 2-3" gap.

this is the information I’m looking for!! We want the sun but if it’s suppose to rain I'd be able to throw the top on. Thanks again for the detailed info.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!