Drive and Braking system....

admin

admin

Your club! I just turn it on!
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 7, 2013
One big question that is still unanswered relates to the rear drive system and the break system for the Pioneer.
Is it a "turf differential" or OPEN differential as most know it?
Is there 4 wheel disk breaks?

Here is what we have learned so far.

- Differential.
The Big Red offered a rear OPEN drive differential. This made it easy to turn without creating scuffing of the outside wheel.
The Pioneer's rear differential is a positive locked differential. This operates like the Honda ATV's we are accustom to. Positive traction, this means that both wheels will turn at the same time and rate. Some will see a issue when on the golf course but we see it as a welcome site and glad to see it on the Pioneer.

- Brake system.
The braking system on the Big Red is a 4 wheel disk break system. With a disk at each wheel. This helped provide the extra breaking the larger MUV needed but lacked unanimous control particularly when descending.
The Pioneer switches back to the system found on the Rincon. The front uses left and right wheel breaks while the rear uses a single inline break located between the engine and the differential. Combined with the rear differential insures full unanimous control over both rear wheels and helps increase the breaking for the front when in 4 wheel drive.

This should help with the Pioneer's abilities on the trail and overall is a plus in our book.

Reardiff

greenatv

greenatv

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2013
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I do like that honda went back to the positive rear end. I did not like the open diff on the trail.
It looks just like a Rincon. same pads.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is anyone getting a significant amount of noise and or whine out of the rear end when braking? Especially when going downhill?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
ohanacreek said:
Is anyone getting a significant amount of noise and or whine out of the rear end when braking? Especially when going downhill?
I don't have one ( yet ), but i did notice some noise on braking during a test drive. This is just inherent with the shaft mounted disc systems. All the braking goes through a bunch of components en-route to the wheels, and gear lash type noises usually manifest themselves, particularly under hard braking on loose surfaces.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
DG Rider said:
ohanacreek said:
I don't have one ( yet ), but i did notice some noise on braking during a test drive. This is just inherent with the shaft mounted disc systems. All the braking goes through a bunch of components en-route to the wheels, and gear lash type noises usually manifest themselves, particularly under hard braking on loose surfaces.

That was one of the thoughts I had but I have never owned anything with the brake separated from the wheels by the diff so I have no experience to go off of, I have rebuilt enough diffs to know there has to be some play in the diff for it to function, I wonder how that is going to play into long term reliability, its Honda so I am sure they have beat the heck out of it and know its going to last.

The dealer said that the UV joints had play in them but thats a load of crap there is nothing to be uneven enough to cause it, the brake and engine are keeping a smooth application of force on the UV joints. I checked all the fluids they are full and clear no flakes or chunks.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!