P500 Dual Batteries?

Peter_72

Peter_72

Supporting Member
May 31, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
I’m thinking about adding a second battery to the p5 but I’m not sure if I need an isolator or not. I’ve never had a problem with the battery or charging system but since I switched from the 3500 lbwinch to a 5000 lb winch is does cut out under heavy use. If the radio is playing while I use the winch it all shuts down after about 5 seconds. If the radio is off the winch pulls for a while but sometimes I have to let off the button and give it a few seconds then it’s pulling again. Being that I’ve never had issues with it starting do I really need an isolator?

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Battery & Charging System is Designed to Just Start & Run the P500 & P700 ( sure it WILL take a few Small Acc. )
"BUT"
5K Winch <> <> used often for more than a few Short Bursts Equals <> <> "NEED" for Dual Battery With Isolator
Perfered Full Size Battery with plenty of Backup Storage to pull from ( Deep Cycle / Start Battery ) Yes P500 Charging System CAN handle it.
Do a search <> plenty of posts on the subject along with wireng suggestions.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Peter_72

Peter_72

Supporting Member
May 31, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
My first question would be are you running this winch and radio with the engine off? If it's cutting out with the engine running then you definitely need a second battery. I run two in parallel, essentially the same batteries and same age. Their are advantages and disadvantages to both. Whether isolated or not I'd carry one of these.
It’s happening while it’s running, it doesn’t kill the engine but everything else loses power for a few seconds. Do you use an isolator with your dual battery set up? I already carry the jump pack, one in the truck and one in the buggy!

Peter_72

Peter_72

Supporting Member
May 31, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
Battery & Charging System is Designed to Just Start & Run the P500 & P700 ( sure it WILL take a few Small Acc. )
"BUT"
5K Winch <> <> used often for more than a few Short Bursts Equals <> <> "NEED" for Dual Battery With Isolator
Perfered Full Size Battery with plenty of Backup Storage to pull from ( Deep Cycle / Start Battery ) Yes P500 Charging System CAN handle it.
Do a search <> plenty of posts on the subject along with wireng suggestions.
I like the idea of the full size battery but wasn’t sure if the p500 would handle it, that might be the easiest solution.

Dave75

Dave75

Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 520
I like the idea of the full size battery but wasn’t sure if the p500 would handle it, that might be the easiest solution.
Your in Louisiana I would think your one battery idea will work. I like the dual batteries for snow plowing, that way the winch has its own battery. The p520 does had not problem charging both batteries. A lot of people wire in a plug for a battery charger.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
It’s happening while it’s running, it doesn’t kill the engine but everything else loses power for a few seconds. Do you use an isolator with your dual battery set up? I already carry the jump pack, one in the truck and one in the buggy!

No, I'm wired in parallel with fat cables. Basically two batteries wired together to make a bigger one. They need to be like batteries to do it though. Same specs and age and preferably identical. Although I ran a Die Hard Gold lawn tractor battery wired in parallel to the stocker for about 5 yrs and never had a problem. But if one goes bad it'll take the other down with it. I also run circuit breakers, one for the winch and one for accessories. Been plowing with mine since I got it.

KyGal83

KyGal83

Duchess Sheldon, Daisy, KGB, Natasha, SNS
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
For some reason the quote in your comment is attributed to me.. but it came from @trigger. Any advice I could give on the matter would be highly incorrect… 😂😂

Brmcg324

Brmcg324

Supporting Member
Aug 17, 2020
SW Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I think the answer to your question is: yes you need a second battery. The pioneer 500 with its small “generator” and small battery can be easily overwhelmed by a 5000 pound winch when running at high load, heavy pull. The maximum total power you can get is with two batteries in parallel (as trigger has on his 500). And always use the winch with engine running, even revved up while pulling. Still, it all comes down to your use of the winch. If you keep pulling and pulling a high 1000 pound or higher load something will give out. Your best hope is the circuit breaker/overload if you used what typically comes with a winch, which will cut off the winch and let everything recover for a few seconds. You can possibly stall your engine and destroy all of your batteries by overworking the winch. Sorry if that sounds really bad, but it could happen. It could happen with a 3500 pound winch, also. My pioneer 500 gets dragged across the ground with my 3500 pound winch, only 1000 pounds or so to hold it down.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!