Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hondasxs submitted a new resource:

Dual Battery Install with TRUE Isolator - Dual Battery Install with TRUE Isolator

View attachment 24842
Installing a second battery is a great way to ensure you are always left with a good starting battery, regardless how long you leave the lights on, run the winch, or listen to the radio. The purpose is so power for all accessories is pulled from the second battery thus leaving the original battery fully charged. When running, the system will charge both batteries simultaneously. Installation is fairly simple, however it is sometimes intimidating to many who do not...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you!!! I've been wanting to do this
Thanks @Tflynn,
This seems to be a popular mod lately and everyone has questions on it. I hope this answers a few.

There are other options such as a Battery Switches that can be added to control which battery is being pulled from. This gets more complicated for the average user and only add's, even more, wires for something you may never use.

Reactions: Eltobgi and sharp
J

JTW

Has anyone considered just swapping to large deep cycle battery?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Has anyone considered just swapping to large deep cycle battery?

There's been several guys do it to all the pioneers. I did it on my P700, eltobogi did his P1000 and so did Windrock. Monte did his p500.

Signature:

QUOTE by Sharp, Where's Don? He's probably spray painting stuff lmfao!

Reactions: Eltobgi and JTW
J

JTW

There's been several guys do it to all the pioneers. I did it on my P700, eltobogi did his P1000 and so did Windrock. Monte did his p500.

Signature:

Versus doing the dual battery setup?? Or using the deep cycle as the second battery?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Versus doing the dual battery setup?? Or using the deep cycle as the second battery?

Using only one large deep cycle is what I did and may do it again one day.

Reactions: JTW
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
How did you run it? Did you just jump off the factory cables to a new location?

I used remote terminals to mount the OEM wires and new wires.

Reactions: JTW
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Think there'd be any issue running from the p500 battery to under the drivers seat as the aux battery location?

I don't think so. I know most people will recommend that you use two batteries that are the same chemistry, size and age though.

Always use a fuse when running a wire that far.

Signature:

Reactions: DGann
J

JTW

Really? So it would be a good idea to do it sooner than later since the battery is new. What's the issue with using a bigger battery for the auxiliary?

Yeah.. that link suggested mega fuses and this unit..

IMG 0871

Reactions: CumminsPusher
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Really? So it would be a good idea to do it sooner than later since the battery is new. What's the issue with using a bigger battery for the auxiliary?

Yeah.. that link suggested mega fuses and this unit..

View attachment 25112

If you do a full size battery, why the need for a second? You can buy a "low voltage cut-out" to prevent it from depleting too far. Carry a compact jump starter that isn't much bigger than a smart phone.

Just my opinion. I would do two equal batteries or one large battery.

Maybe someone with more knowledge than us will chime in about the batteries need to be the same or not.

Reactions: bb22 and sharp
J

JTW

If you do a full size battery, why the need for a second? You can buy a "low voltage cut-out" to prevent it from depleting too far. Carry a compact jump starter that isn't much bigger than a smart phone.

Maybe someone with more knowledge than us will chime in about the batteries need to be the same or not.
I agree.. I just want to go with the option that allows me the most stereo and work light runtime.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

If the batteries are connected directly it's more of a big deal that everything is the same. Say a dual battery setup on a pickup. The reason is because the batteries discharge a little at rest and the stronger battery will take the blunt of that and bring it down at a quicker rate however it saves the lesser battery a little so it's whatever. That changes with a dual battery isolation setup. When the batteries click off it will still allow them to rest differently. While the vehicle is changing they both get charged and everything back to good. Did a little research on the isolated setup on the bus many years back and couldn't see the need of everything the same. You don't want a half dead one or crap in the mix but isolated battery is really treated differently

J

JTW

If the batteries are connected directly it's more of a big deal that everything is the same. Say a dual battery setup on a pickup. The reason is because the batteries discharge a little at rest and the stronger battery will take the blunt of that and bring it down at a quicker rate however it saves the lesser battery a little so it's whatever. That changes with a dual battery isolation setup. When the batteries click off it will still allow them to rest differently. While the vehicle is changing they both get charged and everything back to good. Did a little research on the isolated setup on the bus many years back and couldn't see the need of everything the same. You don't want a half dead one or crap in the mix but isolated battery is really treated differently
What system do I want?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
What system do I want?

That's debatable amongst people. I prefer dual battery by far and leave factory setup alone. Again man it's just me I don't f*** with factory stuff. So one big battery is not ideal for me seen too many things have a problem because of a set of fog lights. Battery size with iso doesn't really matter much but always run deep cycle even in a high use single setup. A smart isolator is the only way to go if a dual battery. You don't generally want to hook up deep/standard,old/new or big/small amps without an ISO in between. But with you can get by with more. I'd leave your factory setup even go smaller on factory battery or a lithium iron like Shoai if worried about weight and throw the biggest deep cycle you possibly can at it, Smart ISO, circuit breaker and call it.
Not everyone needs that kind of power but I expect massive amounts for myself. In mine I run the extra deep cycle and a 1200watt capacitor that I just recently started playing around with and I can have stereo on it's 12 speakers with lots of bass, a few lights and be charging my phone for over 2-1/2 hours with no issues, drops to around 11.6 like that. Had it actually down to 10.5 several times just fire back up!
If you have single battery with voltage regulation to keep it from going dead then once you go over that voltage you lose everything at once that sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!