P1000 Dual battery isolator ground question

G

GGreen

May 18, 2018
Amherst, MA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Installed my True isolator and Odyssey battery. I drilled and tapped a hole in the frame to ground the Odyssey, and everything works, including the dual voltage meter setup.

My question is : I originally ran the ground from the negative side of the Odyssey to the negative terminal of the factory battery, thinking I would 'pick up' the ground to the machine there.

But then I began to wonder if I wasn't defetaing the isolator by connecting the negative of the two batteries.

Does it make any difference? is one way better than the other?

Thanks!

Reactions: pit
O2bsmitty

O2bsmitty

Mar 29, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
This is a good question I never thought about. I wouldn't think it would make a difference but not 100% on that. I ran a ground from both batteries to frame. Would of ran to factory battery ground but I mounted my 2nd battery under the seat so I saved wire. Mine seems to be working as it should.

O2bsmitty

O2bsmitty

Mar 29, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Reactions: pit and Eltobgi
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I’m just sharing info, lol. The guys will jump in here I’m sure.

Reactions: pit and O2bsmitty
O2bsmitty

O2bsmitty

Mar 29, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I’m just sharing info, lol. The guys will jump in here I’m sure.
Just checked mine and I was wrong. Did not run a ground from oem battery to frame. Blue light is on on the isolator while running and everything seems to be working as it should.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Guys I forgot to mention I’m not very good at this stuff. The techs here on the site provided me with this to help me...
C1997CCE F5F5 490C A7E7 152493079D9A

;)

renosxs

renosxs

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2017
reno, nv
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking at the 2016 p1000-5 wiring diagram it shows a connection between the factory battery negative terminal and ground. Based in this connecting the AUX battery to the negative terminal of the factory battery should be acceptable. Anyone have other thoughts?

Is there a preference of the True or Blue Sea isolators? If so why?
Is the 80A Stinger relay enough or should I use the 200A?
I see other manufacturers for the relay that look identical to the Stinger that are less costly. Anyone use these? Are the knock-offs?

Sorry for the many questions. I plan on adding the second battery and hope I don't blow up my Pioneer. Thanks

J

JTW

Looking at the 2016 p1000-5 wiring diagram it shows a connection between the factory battery negative terminal and ground. Based in this connecting the AUX battery to the negative terminal of the factory battery should be acceptable. Anyone have other thoughts?

Is there a preference of the True or Blue Sea isolators? If so why?
Is the 80A Stinger relay enough or should I use the 200A?
I see other manufacturers for the relay that look identical to the Stinger that are less costly. Anyone use these? Are the knock-offs?

Sorry for the many questions. I plan on adding the second battery and hope I don't blow up my Pioneer. Thanks

So I ran my 2ndary ground back to the motor on a dedicated ground. You can’t have too much ground.

I’m using the 80 amp stinger for my “master switch relay” no issues. As I recall the stinger wasn’t but about $15-20..

I also have the the true isolator for my setup.. $50 bucks.

renosxs

renosxs

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2017
reno, nv
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where on the motor did you connect the ground? I assume there is a connection to suppprt the main battery. 4ga wire? Did you tie the relay to ACC and are you using a DPDT to use the battery without the key? Again, sorry for many questions.

J

JTW

Where on the motor did you connect the ground? I assume there is a connection to suppprt the main battery. 4ga wire? Did you tie the relay to ACC and are you using a DPDT to use the battery without the key? Again, sorry for many questions.
Same spot as stock battery on the motor.
I used 4gage
The stinger acts as the relay. All my accessories are on the second battery.. but it’s all powered by the second battery. This way I dont have to have the key on to run the radio. The only thing I have ran off the stock accessory wire is a volt meter and the light on the master power (stinger) switch.

WhitJo

WhitJo

Supporting Member
Jul 13, 2018
Mtns of East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
FWIW...DC circuit grounds on a vehicle are all common...meaning that no matter where you attach a ground, it's common to all other grounds...regardless of where they are attached...that's why most cars/engines/chassis have multiple ground points...to insure proper current flow to all the circuits.

SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
FWIW...DC circuit grounds on a vehicle are all common...meaning that no matter where you attach a ground, it's common to all other grounds...regardless of where they are attached...that's why most cars/engines/chassis have multiple ground points...to insure proper current flow to all the circuits.
So if I hooked my second battery to the winch ground, would that work?

RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So if I hooked my second battery to the winch ground, would that work?

If your winch is grounded to the common frame then yes. If you have not ground the battery that powers the winch to the common frame then no.

All batteries should be grounded to the frame... It is best they are grounded individually and not daisey chained. Do not run a black wire from the negative terminal on one battery to the negative terminal on the second battery and then to ground.

The isolator must be grounded. That is how it can read the voltage and turn on/off as needed.

HTH!

FredD

WhitJo

WhitJo

Supporting Member
Jul 13, 2018
Mtns of East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just drilled and tapped a hole in the flat section of the frame close to the battery....
upper left corner of the pic you can see where...
easy to get the drill in right there
IMG 2596

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!