BOX1

P1000 Dual battery setup

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am sure this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I would like advice on installing a secondary battery in the OEM spot. Apologies for asking what I'm sure has been asked, but I would prefer pointed, concise direction rather than digging through build threads as I am sure some do it differently than others. I would like to know the proper way to connect them, and also if this over works the alternator/stator keeping (2) charged, or does it lessen the burden due to the parasitic draw being less spread over (2) batteries. Is there a specific spec required on the battery so it doesn't effect the OEM components? As you can tell, dual batteries is not my forté. If there is a specific build thread that has great detail in answering my questions, please share the thread link.
Thanks !

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
This is the set up I use and love it. It completely isolated oem electrical from accessories and adds an option to combine batteries temporarily for tough winching.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I am sure this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I would like advice on installing a secondary battery in the OEM spot. Apologies for asking what I'm sure has been asked, but I would prefer pointed, concise direction rather than digging through build threads as I am sure some do it differently than others. I would like to know the proper way to connect them, and also if this over works the alternator/stator keeping (2) charged, or does it lessen the burden due to the parasitic draw being less spread over (2) batteries. Is there a specific spec required on the battery so it doesn't effect the OEM components? As you can tell, dual batteries is not my forté. If there is a specific build thread that has great detail in answering my questions, please share the thread link.
Thanks !

I'll make you a deal on my setup. I'm going to go to a full size battery under the seat and remove some front weight which will also lower COG.

I'll be removing an Odyssey battery, OEM battery and battery isolator system.

Reactions: Lady01 and 500

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll make you a deal on my setup. I'm going to go to a full size battery under the seat and remove some front weight which will also lower COG.

I'll be removing an Odyssey battery, OEM battery and battery isolator system.
Is the Odyssey small like the OEM battery? I am not familiar...

Reactions: Lady01

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In my opinion, Odyssey is a top-of-the-line battery. I think the battery weighs 26 pounds but I'll have to check
Ah, thats nothing for my setup, as I don't have the extra weight of the bumper, larger LEDs, etc. I will however go with a winch at some point, but if I go with the WE fronts the 26 pounds will be factored into the spring rate. What will it include besides the battery and wiring? What will I need to buy in addition to make it workable? Do these systems use the secondary battery or do you have to flip a switch?

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Which wire is best to tie into for "key on" power for running multiple LEDs?
I hooked mine up without a key on power, and use individual toggles on each accessory. If you are interested in this setup I will post photos of install:)

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
You'll only need my battery and battery isolator. I'll include the battery hold down clamp and all cables.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hooked mine up without a key on power, and use individual toggles on each accessory. If you are interested in this setup I will post photos of install:)
I've got my current three LEDs on rocker switch ran directly to battery all on relays and fuses, but my son like flipping switched and I'd prefer to have it powered up with key on to avoid him leaving a light on.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That's correct. It will disconnect the primary battery if it's voltage drops to 12.6 I think. That way it stays charged so you won't be stranded.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's correct. It will disconnect the primary battery if it's voltage drops to 12.6 I think. That way it stays charged so you won't be stranded.
Cool. I'll be out your way picking up another deer mount from Chris McCarver's place downtown, and will get with you on a day we can meet up. One more question, say for instance when using a winch, does it use both batteries or would it automatically switch batteries if the primary dropped during load?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It will pull from both until the primary battery drops below 12.6. I've seen my voltage gauge drop to 10.5 while winching. My gauge is connected to the aux battery so it was the one that dropped to 10.5 and my starting battery stayed at 12.6. That's probably very important because of all the electronics on these machines, they all pull from the primary battery.

Just give me a day or two heads up before you want to come out. I'm home today and tomorrow but I'll be in North Carolina Monday through Wednesday.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It will pull from both until the primary battery drops below 12.6. I've seen my voltage gauge drop to 10.5 while winching. My gauge is connected to the aux battery so it was the one that dropped to 10.5 and my starting battery stayed at 12.6. That's probably very important because of all the electronics on these machines, they all pull from the primary battery.

Just give me a day or two heads up before you want to come out. I'm home today and tomorrow but I'll be in North Carolina Monday through Wednesday.
It will be a week or two before the mount is ready. I'd say week after next.
What prompted this was reading on the other sites/groups of all the people now saying Honda is getting traction on these issues with clutches being voltage/electrical related. Most guys who have clutch/ "E" issues have all had battery issues from what I've read. Who knows.
I'll let you know end of next week and we'll plan for following week.

Reactions: Lady01 and joeymt33
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!