P1000m5 Dust in cab is worse than horrible!

16Honda

16Honda

Nov 24, 2015
Missouri
Took the Pioneer 1000 5 for a ride down the gravel road like I've always done with all of my past utv's. It's the first time to try it out with my top and 2 piece windshield. I've never seen so much dust rolling in the cab!. I was going about 20mph and I brought it down to 10 or so and still a lot of dust just rolling in over the seats. It was like the wind was blowing it the rear but I was going into the wind so it should have been carrying the dust behind me. If I had passengers in the rear seats, they would have been covered in dust like I was. I forgot to mention, the windshield was open as far as it would go. This all happened in about 2 minutes on roads that just had snow and ice on them a few days ago.I can only imagine how bad this would be in the spring and summer. I'm guessing that most people that bought their Pioneer in the last couple of months that have the same full top and 2 piece windshield as I do, have been riding in mostly damp conditions because it's winter. The only reason I have the top is because of the hot summer sun. This is not a problem with just the Pioneer, all utv's with a top and windshield have this problem. I didn't think it would be this bad.I now need to come up with a plan B. I wish now I had made a video of the dust rolling in, it was really bad. Just letting everyone know this. As soon as I got home I removed the top and windshield and rear roll cage which also meant I had to remove my lights on the top front and rear that I spent hours mounting and wiring. The plus to all of this is now the pioneer is quiet like the day I got it. I'll come up with something to block the sun. I just wish I had thought about this before spent the money on the top and windshield. Not trying to sound so negative, It's the way it is. Just be prepared to get covered in dust if you ride in these conditions.

Reactions: MarkM and dotman1
Sxsnewbie

Sxsnewbie

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Connecticut
Took the Pioneer 1000 5 for a ride down the gravel road like I've always done with all of my past utv's. It's the first time to try it out with my top and 2 piece windshield. I've never seen so much dust rolling in the cab!. I was going about 20mph and I brought it down to 10 or so and still a lot of dust just rolling in over the seats. It was like the wind was blowing it the rear but I was going into the wind so it should have been carrying the dust behind me. If I had passengers in the rear seats, they would have been covered in dust like I was. I forgot to mention, the windshield was open as far as it would go. This all happened in about 2 minutes on roads that just had snow and ice on them a few days ago.I can only imagine how bad this would be in the spring and summer. I'm guessing that most people that bought their Pioneer in the last couple of months that have the same full top and 2 piece windshield as I do, have been riding in mostly damp conditions because it's winter. The only reason I have the top is because of the hot summer sun. This is not a problem with just the Pioneer, all utv's with a top and windshield have this problem. I didn't think it would be this bad.I now need to come up with a plan B. I wish now I had made a video of the dust rolling in, it was really bad. Just letting everyone know this. As soon as I got home I removed the top and windshield and rear roll cage which also meant I had to remove my lights on the top front and rear that I spent hours mounting and wiring. The plus to all of this is now the pioneer is quiet like the day I got it. I'll come up with something to block the sun. I just wish I had thought about this before spent the money on the top and windshield. Not trying to sound so negative, It's the way it is. Just be prepared to get covered in dust if you ride in these conditions.
Need the mid or rear panel or window.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you try it with the top portion off the split windshield? I have the same set up. Only plan to use full windshield in winter and just leave deflector on during summer

16Honda

16Honda

Nov 24, 2015
Missouri
Did you try it with the top portion off the split windshield? I have the same set up. Only plan to use full windshield in winter and just leave deflector on during summer
That's what I did . Have not tried it on the gravel road but it should be much better since I took off the top too.

HondaTim

HondaTim

Feb 8, 2014
My buddy just has the 2 piece windshield no roof and he didn't have any problems. Maybe the roof makes a difference.

16Honda

16Honda

Nov 24, 2015
Missouri
My buddy just has the 2 piece windshield no roof and he didn't have any problems. Maybe the roof makes a difference.
That's what I'm thinking. I spent yesterday filling the bed with tree branches from all over the yard and the top and the roll cage really get in the way and limit how much you can carry not to mention it's much quieter with the top removed.

wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
You need the rear panel. My 700 was exactly the same until I got that. Cut the dust down tremendously.

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
Add a windsheild, dust gets bad. Add a roof, it gets worse. Add a mid or rear panel, gets much better.

The windsheild and roof cause a suction, bringing in all sorts of stuff.
I have all 3 and it works very well.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
u have to have a mid or rear panel then it wont do that

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone seen a wind deflector like the old station wagons or SUV's used? Could that help?

I tried this on my RZR but saw no difference. I might try on my P5 with the full roof it might make a difference

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I may try one. I would like to have one that will work with my lower windscreen installed.

Hopefully it will adjust to fit.

16Honda

16Honda

Nov 24, 2015
Missouri
Has anyone heard of any updates to report? I found a review online and see they are working on a sunscreen for a vented roof also.
I just got off the phone with the company owner. She said they will be ready for the P1000 in June. Just in time for the summer bugs! They are currently working on the Can-Am windscreen and the Honda will be next week! She took my name and email to contact me when they are ready. A very nice lady btw.

Reactions: Stauvo
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
We have glass roof mid rear and doors it's great with all on. Doors can be pulled if mid and rear are still up. From what I saw it's not too bad with just roof for the dust but no windshield not even the factory half. It's about to get dusty boys and girls in fact my glass is coming out for next weekend. The mid and rear since they roll up will stay. We also have half and I cut a tinted acrylic that I use in emergency. I've been adamant about not mounting anything to the roof or windshield it seems like a good idea in the winter but you'll most likely lose it come summer. Look into mounting your light bar to the front ROPS and be done. Same with speakers. Or at least use plugs for anything up there. I honestly think most people will wind up leaving their roof on this but I still wouldn't mount anything to it, it's not super tough to mount in a different fashion and it's nice if something gets broken or you want to pull it or change accessories to not be limited or have to cut and splice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stauvo

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!