P500 ECU and water?

Aerolite

Aerolite

Jan 10, 2021
Oxford Mills ON
Ownership

1. 500
Searched but couldn't find anything. Looking at the ECU and the wires going into the back of the connectors has me a bit concerned. Are they sealed inside? There will be some deep water crossings I'll be encountering this spring, so if water level goes above the ECU I want to be sure there will be no issues. I'll be looking at some sort of snorkel as well. Looks like my 520 is identical to the 500 in this area.
Thanks.

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Headed for trouble if you get that deep.
Air Intake: snorkel
Raise all vent lines : fuel tank , water pump , ft. & rear diffs
Even exhaust will need to be raised.( if it stalls water will get in the motor quick )
Use DIELECTRIC grease on every connection on the entire machine including all grounds & ECU.

There are both successful & Unsuccessful stories of submerging these machines.
Anything above the fuel tank filler neck gets questionable if it stalls. ( at least keep water level below exhaust outlet )
Others with 1st.hand experience will chime in may be share $$$$ drain on the old bank account amount off work involved.

Standing water is one thing.
Crossing a raised creek or river is another , doesn't take much current when that deep to loose traction the bigger the tire sooner it floats ( seen it happen to Jeep's & ATV's )
In the Adirondacks seen creeks raise several feet in just 2--3 hours , put more wood on the fire wait 24 -- 48 hours water level goes down then head home.

Aerolite

Aerolite

Jan 10, 2021
Oxford Mills ON
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the good points. Will be fairly quick dips in standing water but even still I’ll be careful. I’ve only got experience on dirt bikes over the years in water. Been watching too many you tubes of sxs’s and atv’s in deep water. Lol

Reactions: TripleB
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
They are usually filled with some sort of jelly-like substance that makes them pretty watertight. The connectors are also sealed, so so water "shouldn't" be able to get in that way. We all know those things can fail...esp over time, but Honda generally uses quality stuff. Maybe put some dielectric grease on the outsides of the connectors, but otherwise, not much you can do.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Best if you don't....over time you'll end up with all sorts of weird electrical problems.

F

Fischer

Dec 22, 2019
The woods
Ownership

1. 500
Weird thing is I have alot of friends that cross deep creek crossings alot with polaris and can am products and they never seem to have these issues?

Timmy

Timmy

May 22, 2016
Elkview, West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
All the vent tube lines, and the air intakes are very low on the hondas. Water over the bottom of the seat, you are in trouble.

Reactions: Fischer
F

Fischer

Dec 22, 2019
The woods
Ownership

1. 500
All the vent tube lines, and the air intakes are very low on the hondas. Water over the bottom of the seat, you are in trouble.
Are the talons and 1000s the same as well, low intakes and vent lines?

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I've had my P5 in water 6" over the seat, it never missed a beat...... Mrs 906UP was not as impressed as I was. 🤣

I have snorkeled the air box & raised the vent lines for the fuel tank, diffs, water pump & rad fan. Haven't done anything to the ECU, no issues.

Timmy

Timmy

May 22, 2016
Elkview, West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
I've had my P5 in water 6" over the seat, it never missed a beat...... Mrs 906UP was not as impressed as I was. 🤣

I have snorkeled the air box & raised the vent lines for the fuel tank, diffs, water pump & rad fan. Haven't done anything to the ECU, no issues.
I swamped mine without vent lines and snorkel. It cost me a bunch of work to get it running again.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!