BOX1

P500 Effects of Tire Weight

Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Getting a lot of mods done on my 17' P5 and tires/aluminum wheels are next (most-likely next month). So of course I have nearly burnt up google and this forum reading and watching reviews on a TON of tires. For my needs I want an all around tire that's at least decent riding on trails but that I can also not be afraid to hit the mud as well.. In addition to that I'm highly drawn to aggressive/meaty looking tires because.. well.. who doesn't want their P5 to have a mean lookin' stance!? So with aggressive meaty looking tires comes added weight.

What would be the actual "felt" effects of the added weight when going from stockers to 28" Zillas (lighter less aggressive) versus going from stockers to say a heavy/aggressive tire like the 27" STI Outback Max? I'm mostly leaning towards 28" zillas to get a light true 27" height tire but they look so tame compared to some others that have caught my attention lately.. Here are some weights:

Zilla 28x10x12 = 26 lbs
Outback Max 27x10x12 = 40.6 lbs
Terminators 28x10x12 = 48 lbs

As you can see there's quite a bit of difference there! And although the last two are very aggressive looking their flat profile supposedly makes them very smooth on hard trails. So my thinking is that if the P5 is geared low anyway the added weight may not even be felt. What's yall's opinion?

Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Run what you can fit and don't worry about the weight too much. All of that worry went out the window when @Bastardchild started turning 35's. ;)

Lmao! Is he the guy with portal lifts on the red P5? When I saw his videos a couple weeks ago I was like “dang, and I’m worried about weight of 27’s!?”.

Just not trying take away ALL trail manners/performance if you know what I mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bastardchild
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Getting a lot of mods done on my 17' P5 and tires/aluminum wheels are next (most-likely next month). So of course I have nearly burnt up google and this forum reading and watching reviews on a TON of tires. For my needs I want an all around tire that's at least decent riding on trails but that I can also not be afraid to hit the mud as well.. In addition to that I'm highly drawn to aggressive/meaty looking tires because.. well.. who doesn't want their P5 to have a mean lookin' stance!? So with aggressive meaty looking tires comes added weight.

What would be the actual "felt" effects of the added weight when going from stockers to 28" Zillas (lighter less aggressive) versus going from stockers to say a heavy/aggressive tire like the 27" STI Outback Max? I'm mostly leaning towards 28" zillas to get a light true 27" height tire but they look so tame compared to some others that have caught my attention lately.. Here are some weights:

Zilla 28x10x12 = 26 lbs

As you can see there's quite a bit of difference there! And although the last two are very aggressive looking their flat profile supposedly makes them very smooth on hard trails. So my thinking is that if the P5 is geared low anyway the added weight may not even be felt. What's yall's opinion?
Run Helium in the tires!

Ragincajun92

Ragincajun92

Mar 19, 2018
Kingsland, Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
I'm in the same boat as you. I have researched so much my head hurts. I have my rims and off set figured out but i still can't decide which tire. From my understanding is the 17 and up pioneers have a taller gear then the 15-16 p500. Not sure if there is a big difference or not but i haven't gotten a true a answer on it. I like those outback max tires too but the weight does concern me a little and i wonder if the p500 is geared low enough to turn them in thick mud. I have also been looking at 27" outlaws and they weigh 30 lbs and in mud conditions they are still no tire out that's better but not sure about there trail manners. good luck on your tire choice. hopefully we both get it figured out

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ran the super atv intimidators for a few months when I first got my 1000-5 and they rode smooth and drove good. They didn’t have the sidewall strength I wanted. I ran 28x10 all the way around. No power loss that I could tell. I don’t do top speed runs though. Rarely get above 35mph if that. 46f5d06c5f894a6b05da1c43c3db7271

@my99svt @Tigermark look at little peaches. Hahaha

my99svt

my99svt

I identify as a lesbian
Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2016
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Ownership

1. Talon X

2. Talon R
I ran the super atv intimidators for a few months when I first got my 1000-5 and they rode smooth and drove good. They didn’t have the sidewall strength I wanted. I ran 28x10 all the way around. No power loss that I could tell. I don’t do top speed runs though. Rarely get above 35mph if that. View attachment 70201

@my99svt @Tigermark look at little peaches. Hahaha

I love that girl!

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Most weight difference is due to all the stuff I carry after adding storage box, kinda like a garage, the bigger it is, the more stuff you keep. Best tire is the type suited for the terrain you ride. P500 will do well.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

Zilla 28x10x12 = 26 lbs

I ran 30x10x14 Monster Mayhems before i put the portals on and it slowed my top end speed down from 44mph hitting the rev limiter, to 36mph and the engine didnt hit the rev limiter anymore. Amazon says the Mayhems weigh 35 pounds each. It definetly put a strain on the topend, but then again i never did top end runs. We always creep through the muddy trails and around mud holes and swamps. The P5 had zero problem spinning 30s in 1st, click to 2nd and it may or may not, depending if you were in thick stuff or soupy, slushy stuff. I would break an axle now and then but thats part of it. Mostly axles broke due to the wheels spinning in a hole and then all of a sudden grabbing traction on a root or something. Im sure youre probably doing different style riding than me though, or have more common sense than me, lol, so you might not break axles like i did. That was also with me trying to go absolutely everywhere i can in 2wd before i gotta give in and pull the 4wd lever. Maybe had i put it in 4wd earlier a few times it woulda took a little stress off of the rear cv's because the front woulda been helping. I say pick the tread pattern that fits your terrain and the size that gives you the stance you want, do the frame mod if needed, and have a blast! Lol. If your coming to the takeover ill let you bolt on a pair of 30s to see how you like them if you want. :)

Ragincajun92

Ragincajun92

Mar 19, 2018
Kingsland, Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
I ran 30x10x14 Monster Mayhems before i put the portals on and it slowed my top end speed down from 44mph hitting the rev limiter, to 36mph and the engine didnt hit the rev limiter anymore. Amazon says the Mayhems weigh 35 pounds each. It definetly put a strain on the topend, but then again i never did top end runs. We always creep through the muddy trails and around mud holes and swamps. The P5 had zero problem spinning 30s in 1st, click to 2nd and it may or may not, depending if you were in thick stuff or soupy, slushy stuff. I would break an axle now and then but thats part of it. Mostly axles broke due to the wheels spinning in a hole and then all of a sudden grabbing traction on a root or something. Im sure youre probably doing different style riding than me though, or have more common sense than me, lol, so you might not break axles like i did. That was also with me trying to go absolutely everywhere i can in 2wd before i gotta give in and pull the 4wd lever. Maybe had i put it in 4wd earlier a few times it woulda took a little stress off of the rear cv's because the front woulda been helping. I say pick the tread pattern that fits your terrain and the size that gives you the stance you want, do the frame mod if needed, and have a blast! Lol. If your coming to the takeover ill let you bolt on a pair of 30s to see how you like them if you want. :)
How did you get your P500 to run 44mph? Mine want run 40 with the stock tires

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
How did you get your P500 to run 44mph? Mine want run 40 with the stock tires
I dont know what to tell you lol. The digital dash said it was going 44 mph with stock tires when it hit the rev limiter. Mine is a 2016.

Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500

Thanks a lot for the input there man. I definitely won’t have to worry about breaking axles as 90% of the time I’m putting around wooded trails in 2nd or 3rd gear with the occasional small mud hole here and there.

I think as long as the tire I chose doesn’t vibrate a ton worse than stock on hard trails around the 10mph speed and I am still able to sorta punch the gas in a trail curve and break traction on the rear tires I’d be completely satisfied.

I surely appreciate the offer but I won’t be able to make it this year.. I discovered/joined this site a little too late to be able to plan that sorta trip short notice but it’s on my list to try and make it next year!

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Thanks a lot for the input there man. I definitely won’t have to worry about breaking axles as 90% of the time I’m putting around wooded trails in 2nd or 3rd gear with the occasional small mud hole here and there.

I think as long as the tire I chose doesn’t vibrate a ton worse than stock on hard trails around the 10mph speed and I am still able to sorta punch the gas in a trail curve and break traction on the rear tires I’d be completely satisfied.

I surely appreciate the offer but I won’t be able to make it this year.. I discovered/joined this site a little too late to be able to plan that sorta trip short notice but it’s on my list to try and make it next year!

Well you joined the right site. There is tons of cool ideas and build threads and great people on here. Welcome to the site!

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
Hell you've got me second guessing myself now lol. I'm not gonna take everything off and build it back like it was just to doublecheck myself though lol. Im just gonna keep on saying it went 44mph whether its a lie or not lol! :)
I would say 44 is plausible,I've hit 43 mph on a steep downhill paved road on 26inch tires.

Reactions: Bastardchild
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I've got a 16, hits the limit at 42 on speedo, with stock tires that was 37 actual on GPS. After swapping to 27" tires it'll do 41 on GPS at the limiter. A friend has a 17 and swears it only hits 36-37mph on the speedo at the limiter. Anyone else have this happen?

To the OP, I was concerned about the weight of the tires when I ordered also but the P5 has such low gearing to start with it does fine. I still start out in 2nd, if anything I think the extra weight helped smooth out the power delivery, shifting, etc.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!