P1000 Electric box under seat oil leaking from driver side plug

justinjaeger

justinjaeger

Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2018
illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Having trouble that I posted yesterday about starting and dying. Upon inspection, The 2 pronged box under the seat has oil leaking from it. I unplugged the connector closest to the door and and it was wet with oil. The box is directly under the seat. Not the 3 plug ECU. The 2 plug box under the driver left but cheek. I think there is oil in it to keep it cool not sure though. What does the box control?

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Having trouble that I posted yesterday about starting and dying. Upon inspection, The 2 pronged box under the seat has oil leaking from it. I unplugged the connector closest to the door and and it was wet with oil. The box is directly under the seat. Not the 3 plug ECU. The 2 plug box under the driver left but cheek. I think there is oil in it to keep it cool not sure though. What does the box control?
Can you post a picture of what you are referring to?

justinjaeger

justinjaeger

Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2018
illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The machine in in my dads garage (heated) about an hour away all taken apart. I left it there after replacing all IACV and the injector wires was not the fix. I had to take the top of the under seat storage box off then noticed the oily connector. Maybe someone else will know what it controls.

justinjaeger

justinjaeger

Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2018
illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Gray plug on the horizontal box. Found the pic online.

A22DECF6 4A89 4534 B094 34FFEC8E3455

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That might explain the voltage changes and spikes. I believe in another thread you spoke about 11 to 12 volts. When my bike is running it is running a constant 14.2 volts. When you are lowering your RPM's it might be getting to low of voltage for the unit.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Gray plug on the horizontal box. Found the pic online.

View attachment 362114
Someone else was having a similar issue with oil in the plug not too long ago. For the life of me I can't remember the thread or what the cause/fix was, sorry. Hopefully someone will chime in soon.
@HondaTech might know, hi's one of the gurus around here

Reactions: CID and Buggyman

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
No oil supposed to be anywhere in or around that unit.

Reactions: Buggyman
Wallace

Wallace

Well that didn't go as planned
Lifetime Member
Jun 28, 2017
Lonoke Arkansas
Ownership

1. 500
Someone else was having a similar issue with oil in the plug not too long ago. For the life of me I can't remember the thread or what the cause/fix was, sorry. Hopefully someone will chime in soon.
The thread is "What is this???".

Reactions: CID and Buggyman
ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This is from an Africa twin site.....

The immediate and naive thought that immediately comes to mind is:
  • Access the source end of the cable.
  • Detach and clean-up the end.
  • Solder the affected braided wire so to stop the wicking effect up into the conductor strands.
  • Follow this up by an application of heat-resistant epoxy around the conductor sheath end and the wire itself. This prevents oil from getting between the sheath and conductor, bypassing the soldered braided fix and resume the wicking behaviour along the remaining length of the cable.
In theory, that should stop the wicking behaviour. However, will oil now drip when it hits this interface?

Alternative thought:
  • Strip away about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of sheath not far from the source connector.
  • Solder the conductor so all braided strands are bonded.
  • Dip the entire 1/4 to 1/2 inch unsheathed area in heat-resistance (oil resistant) epoxy.
  • Consider wrapping the section in electrical tape or similar protection.
This too, in theory (??) could plug the wicking of oil by way of the internal cable conductors.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yea I remember seeing that thread also. Can't remember where

Reactions: JenElio

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!