eidnar2000

eidnar2000

Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2021
ut
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello Board!
I could use some help with an electrical question.
I have a Cole Hersee relay that I can get power to from using the "HondaSXS key on" adapter.
I have tested the key -on power and it's got power to the relay..
I can't get power thru the relay to positive bus or fuse box for some reason. I don't know if I wired something wrong or if the part is defective. I'm just not smart enough to figure it out.
I tested all the accessories and they work of the battery, so it seems the problem is isolated to the relay. Any advice is welcome. Thank you.
I can add additional pictures.
20230521 123730
20230521 123642

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pretty sure your key on power source should go to one of the small posts on the cole hersee. One of these guys can for sure help you out @Scoop @bumperm

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pretty sure your key on power source should go to one of the small posts on the cole hersee. One of these guys can for sure help you out @Scoop @bumperm
Ya. It's not even hooked up in the picture.

Let's start from the beginning.
From Second battery. Need large guage wire to the Cole large post. The the other large post needs a large guage wire to the fuse box.
The fuse box also need a large guge wire to the second battery as a ground.

Now the cole small post need the key-on wire and a ground wire to the other.

That should do it.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
What amp capacity does everyone recommend when using the Cole Hersee on a SxS? Is there a disadvantage to using a large one, like higher current draw to keep it activated? Is there any call for the Cole Herseee 220 amp model over the 65 amp model?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is there any call for the Cole Herseee 220 amp model over the 65 amp model?
Just being overrated.
I wouldn't expect you to pull 65 amps worth of accessories.
But I would hate for that to be the failure point if you did.
Also, if you plan to put your winch on it. Note that most winches can pull right at or over 220 at max load.
So it is underrated for that use case.

eidnar2000

eidnar2000

Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2021
ut
Ownership

1. 1000-5
20230521 183749

I found out the issue was my ground wire not being installed on one of the small posts. Duh.. I had some many wires being installed I overlooked needing to build one of those. I stole an old battery cable from my lawn mower and used that to test. Works great now :) I overlooked that simple piece despite all the good info here. My bad.
So after figuring that out, I added a DPDT switch. Love the results so far.
Last thing I hooked up tonight was the BT NOAM speaker system. Sounds good so far.
Now I just have a lot of wire organizing to do and adding a rear work light. Then we see where it goes. 😉
Thank you so much again to this board for the amazing help to get me to this point. Any comments or ideas are appreciated! Have a great week. Cheers
20230521 203106

20230521 203051

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
65A @ 12V would be nearly 800 watts. You'd need a boatload of accessories running at the same time to get close to that. I certainly would not run my winch through the relay, even with the 220A. The only thing you want powered by the relay/key-on is the trigger for the winch contactor - your main winch wires should be wired directly to your AUX battery (positive AND negative cables).

The 65A (which I thought I saw it is now 85A on their site?) is marine rated, whereas the 220A (and most others) are not. You live in Denver. I reckon it freezes there, so any water inside can freeze up the relay. That's the primary reason many folks in colder climates stopped using the Stinger and started using this particular Cole Hersee.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thank you, Gentlemen. :cool:

I wouldn't run my winch through it but it seems that some light bars pull 40 amps (or is it watts?) and that's nearly 2/3 of the 65 amp model. Add pod lights, rock lights, backup lights, radio comms, GPS/tablet, and your leaning real hard on 65 amps. Having seen the wiring masterpieces some guys have done here, it made me wonder if 65 was close to minimum. Not sure how far I want to go but I don't want to limit my options.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you, Gentlemen. :cool:

I wouldn't run my winch through it but it seems that some light bars pull 40 amps (or is it watts?) and that's nearly 2/3 of the 65 amp model. Add pod lights, rock lights, backup lights, radio comms, GPS/tablet, and your leaning real hard on 65 amps. Having seen the wiring masterpieces some guys have done here, it made me wonder if 65 was close to minimum. Not sure how far I want to go but I don't want to limit my options.

Light bar ads lie!! It's an advertising "race" between manufacturers, and they claim higher wattage than reality and what you'll measure. E.g., my Nilight 54" bar has an advertised 312 watts. That would mean is should draw about 24 amps currant. At 13.3 volts applied, I measured just over 16 amps at 13.3 volts on the bench, or about 220 watts, not 312. Now really, that don't mean squat, except when plotting and planning wiring etc. Other metrics, like lumens are more important and most don't provide than info. The light is very bright though, so I'm not complaining too much.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Yes, most (all?) light bar claims are greatly exaggerated to get you to buy them.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yes, most (all?) light bar claims are greatly exaggerated to get you to buy them.
The lumens is lied about the most. Even if the number they state is accurate its "raw" lumens which is usually much higher(25%) than continuous lumen output.
Then factor in the chinese manufacturers s*** componentry and the lack of quality really comes to light.....

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Speaking about lights, I was a little late to the party on LEP's. That's Laser Excited Phosphor. We all know that a light beam normally spreads out from the source, and so with more distance the light gets fainter and thus usable distance is limited. That's okay, up to a point, as we are mostly concerned with lighting up the mountain lion or bear that's close, rather than the one across the valley.

So LEP's are different, the beam stays more cohesive like a laser. That's because it IS a laser in a way. The LEP uses a blue laser to excite a phosphor that emits an orange light. Then, through the use of mirrors and tricks, the blue laser light is combined with the orange to give a white light that doesn't spread as much as a reflector focused normal flashlight. LEPs are pricey. Here's a pic in my back yard illuminating a rock outcropping that's about 2,000 feet away. (Light shown is from a Fenix HT30R, I also have their TK30. Both are relatively small hand held lights about the size of a medium small flashlight. A bit pricey, but amazing! Light sabers anyone?!

20220726 204810

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I carry a Fenix PD36R everywhere I go. Not a Class 1 laser like the HT30R nor anywhere near the 1500M max beam distance, but I carry it to augment self-defense use. Likely the best flashlight I've ever owned, TBH.

HT30R - That's crazy for such a small flashlight .. nearly a mile. Wow!

Reactions: eidnar2000
ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Speaking about lights, I was a little late to the party on LEP's. That's Laser Excited Phosphor. We all know that a light beam normally spreads out from the source, and so with more distance the light gets fainter and thus usable distance is limited. That's okay, up to a point, as we are mostly concerned with lighting up the mountain lion or bear that's close, rather than the one across the valley.

So LEP's are different, the beam stays more cohesive like a laser. That's because it IS a laser in a way. The LEP uses a blue laser to excite a phosphor that emits an orange light. Then, through the use of mirrors and tricks, the blue laser light is combined with the orange to give a white light that doesn't spread as much as a reflector focused normal flashlight. LEPs are pricey. Here's a pic in my back yard illuminating a rock outcropping that's about 2,000 feet away. (Light shown is from a Fenix HT30R, I also have their TK30. Both are relatively small hand held lights about the size of a medium small flashlight. A bit pricey, but amazing! Light sabers anyone?!

View attachment 388611
If we think leds on cars suck for oncoming drivers just wait, I hear they are looking to use this LEP technology on cars soon. Reminds me of an old Manfred Mann song.

Reactions: eidnar2000
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Reminds me of an old Manfred Mann song.
That song was actually written and first recorded by Bruce Springsteen ~4 years before Manfred Mann's Earth Band re-recorded it and it hit #1 in the US.

Reactions: DawgU and ODAMO
Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3

View attachment 388611
That's a nice light for reaching way out there!

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That song was actually written and first recorded by Bruce Springsteen ~4 years before Manfred Mann's Earth Band re-recorded it and it hit #1 in the US.
Back in the day.....:)

Reactions: Smitty335
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 388611
Wow. I was doing a little research. Didn't know they were made in China

• Haha
Reactions: Remington
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Wow. I was doing a little research. Didn't know they were made in China
Yup. 95% of most everything is these days. Except for inflation, skyrocketing crime rates, CRT, LGBTQABCXYZ, child grooming, and an open border. That's all made right here in Washington DC.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!