Talon Elka Stage 5 for the Talon X

cummins14

cummins14

Jul 18, 2019
GA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Anyone have experience with ELKA Suspension? I've heard a few people that seem to think that Elka is the absolute superior shock set up for a UTV due to the tougher aluminum reservoir dogleg mounting and the adjusting etc. I definitely know that the Fox 2.0 QS3 set up that came stock on my Talon X isn't the best setup and doesn't offer anywhere near the capability of what the Elka Stage 5 could do. It seems like the Elkas also have a true dual rate spring system unless I'm wrong. Definitely not cheap, but I think it would be a great upgrade. Click the link for the details:
Stage 5 High-Performance UTV Shock Absorbers - Elka Suspension USA

UTV 56 Stage5 Main

Reactions: Isaiah and BWAF
R

red124

Sep 7, 2018
MN
Just subscribing to see what others say. Hope you don't get any "rebuild valve and re spring the original ones" comments. One question for you have you ever thought about "king" shocks.

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone have experience with ELKA Suspension? I've heard a few people that seem to think that Elka is the absolute superior shock set up for a UTV due to the tougher aluminum reservoir dogleg mounting and the adjusting etc. I definitely know that the Fox 2.0 QS3 set up that came stock on my Talon X isn't the best setup and doesn't offer anywhere near the capability of what the Elka Stage 5 could do. It seems like the Elkas also have a true dual rate spring system unless I'm wrong. Definitely not cheap, but I think it would be a great upgrade. Click the link for the details:
Stage 5 High-Performance UTV Shock Absorbers - Elka Suspension USA

View attachment 164622
On the Talon no one that I know of,on Pioneer there is a few they will see it

Reactions: Isaiah
D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
Looking at the Elka site, I like the looks and adjust ability and if I was into competitive racing, they would be on my list of must haves.
But at that price for the average every day rider, I can't see it.
The Talon X & R comes with a fairly good Fox shock already that can be custom setup to your riding style for half the cost by someone like Shock Therapy.

cummins14

cummins14

Jul 18, 2019
GA
Ownership

1. Talon X
We actually are thinking of entering our Talons in the amateur endurance races next year. That is one of the main reasons that the multitude of adjustments would be nice. I could also tune them when we are just wanting to do some trail riding. As far as using shock therapy, I am after a dual rate set up which they offer, but once you throw in the custom shock valving or their RIS(Ride Improvement System), I'm thinking you will not be a lot cheaper. Since our machines have only 8 hours or actually one full day of riding and a multitude of rides around our property, I was thinking that i could sell all four of my factory shocks/springs that could offset a little of the expense. Just a thought. I was able to talk to a guy at the Fox display at the IMSA race at Road Atlanta about my machines a few weeks ago and he pretty much claimed that Honda is the reason for the current way that the machine rides and is set up. He told me that they put their Honda specific springs on the Fox shocks. Funny thing is that I was looking at my springs this past weekend and they have "FOX" and some other wording stamped or rather printed on the springs themselves. I wonder if this statement is true or not?

Reactions: BWAF
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
He told me that they put their Honda specific springs on the Fox shocks. Funny thing is that I was looking at my springs this past weekend and they have "FOX" and some other wording stamped or rather printed on the springs themselves. I wonder if this statement is true or not?
I think what he meant was that they put Fox springs that were manufactured to Honda Specs. I am pretty sure that is what happened because the Fox numbers on the Talon R springs do not follow Fox's normal number schema and you can't tell what rate they are. Even though they say "FOX", the numbers make no sense.

Honda required springs that are much heavier than needed for the average user because the payload is almost 750 lbs putting the total weight on the R at almost 2300 lbs. That is almost 150% if the curb weight so if they didn't put that heavy of a spring, they could not have claimed that much payload.

I believe that if you load the Talon to it's maximum payload, it will ride like a Cadillac. Or, as some of us do, reduce the springs to match the payload, it rides like a Cadillac. However, you can't have it both ways.

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
I'm just reviving this thread as I am also interested. How true is this "leaker" reputation?

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm just reviving this thread as I am also interested. How true is this "leaker" reputation?

I believe the "leaker" reputation is for King shocks, not the Elka. I've come across reading this a couple of times when I was looking into upgrading the shocks on my Kawasaki Teryx 4. I cant remember reading anything negative about Elka shocks.

Reactions: BWAF
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Why buy a whole new set of shocks???? The Fox shocks that come on the Talons are actually decent with some real tuning. I'm building my Talon R for MX & GNCC racing and thought about the stage 5 Elka's. I went to the races recently and the Pro class Talon guys were all running modified factory shocks. Nobody there had Elka's or Kings on their machines.

I am sending my factory shocks out to G-Force Suspension Technology in Tennessee. They are going to add DSC adjusters, rebound adjusters, change the pistons and valving out to race spec parts based on my intended use, and set me up with all new springs. While its not cheap to do, it's still alot less than buying a new set of Elka's or Kings, and they are tuned for your specific needs not just generic valving and springs that get you "close enough".

20200208 114828 20200208 142000

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
This is a list of shock tuning companies I'd call for upgrades to the factory Fox shocks....

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
Getting rebound adjustment is key, I believe, for riding terrain varying from rock crawling, mx track and sand dunes. I also think it might be good to go with larger shock bodies than the x comes with....but maybe not a bug deal? Thanks for the list. I'd rather spend less money if possible.

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have stage 4 Elka's on my X talon, so far I really like them. In a few weeks I will be in Oklahoma at the sand dunes so the real test will be there. So far I have pushed them over county roads that have no maintenance,, across bean fields with drainage terraces and choppy ground surface. They seem to float over rutty ground at speed and the pot holes in a dirt road are almost not there. I get some Body roll with hard cornering but there is not any feeling like I'm going to lay it over on its side. A stronger sway bar could help but I only found one made for a R talon. I have no complaints or buyers remorse for putting on a set of Elkas.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Sent my GMs shocks to Gforce Racing, they are a Fox east coast rep, still feeling them out since he doesnt have alot of miles on them yet. But they seems worlds better than stock.

What did Gary @ G-Force do to your GM's shocks? Did he get the DSC adjusters, valving and springs from G-force or ?

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
I have stage 4 Elka's on my X talon, so far I really like them. In a few weeks I will be in Oklahoma at the sand dunes so the real test will be there. So far I have pushed them over county roads that have no maintenance,, across bean fields with drainage terraces and choppy ground surface. They seem to float over rutty ground at speed and the pot holes in a dirt road are almost not there. I get some Body roll with hard cornering but there is not any feeling like I'm going to lay it over on its side. A stronger sway bar could help but I only found one made for a R talon. I have no complaints or buyers remorse for putting on a set of Elkas.
What size shock body did you get? I'm interested in you post done report. I'm about 5 hours away from little Sahara. Have never been duning, but plan to in the near future.

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
So I spoke with Rick at LDR Suspension and he said they can replace the QS3 adjustment knobs with full dials, including rebound adjustment. I expect this would be cheaper than the Elkas to achieve the adjust ability I seek. I should have a quote in a couple days. They are local to me and are regulars at TexPlex where I ride sometimes, so I think they would be ideal to work with. Will keep you all posted.

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
What size shock body did you get? I'm interested in you post done report. I'm about 5 hours away from little Sahara. Have never been duning, but plan to in the near future.
I got the 46mm body,,, it comes that way with my stage 4. I have plans to be there April 4th and 5th. I have the setting just like when they sent them to me,,, so I have no idea what to expect either way but surely it will be much better. The stock shocks beat my butt to death especially in the trails. I'm 6 hours from there north of Lawrence Ks

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
So I spoke with Rick at LDR Suspension and he said they can replace the QS3 adjustment knobs with full dials, including rebound adjustment. I expect this would be cheaper than the Elkas to achieve the adjust ability I seek. I should have a quote in a couple days. They are local to me and are regulars at TexPlex where I ride sometimes, so I think they would be ideal to work with. Will keep you all posted.
By all means, PLEASE keep us posted on this. Prices, links, phone numbers, etc. :)

Reactions: MAJspoon

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!