Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
saw an older thread on enclosed trailers. Needed for P500 and Rancher Atv, likely 16 ft and dual axle. Are the v fronts full 16 ft. Or just at the point? Any advice welcomed. Pulling with 5.3 L pickup. Electric brake?

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Are the v fronts full 16 ft. Or just at the point? ~. Electric brake?

I have a 16' v-nose X 8.5 wide. I think the 16' is 17'1" inside to the v (going from memory).
It's branded as a Look Element cargo trailer.
Also I got the extra 6" height.
The door is 80" tall so a Pk1 will just fit when I haul a Pk1.
On the down side the extra height and width add to the parachute effect and bring the mpg down.
Also the Pilot doesn't like going faster than 70 (stays in 3rd gear and revs the engine to make enough power to move the air).
The sales literature says it should weigh 2100# but the weigh slip I got to register it says 3200#.
I tent to believe the weigh slip.

'05 Rancher and a p500 fit nose to tail with no monkey business.
No tipping the quad on end or turning it sidewise.
ATVs will fit side by side but the p500 is a full 50" wide, so only a really small quad would fit beside it.
I made a quick calculation, the p500 is heavier per inch than the Rancher, put the p500 in first to move the CG forward.

You definitely want electric brakes.
In the wet the trailer will push the truck around with no weight in the back of the truck.
Also with a light load I can pull the trailer with my Honda Pilot. Gives a little more flexibility.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
saw an older thread on enclosed trailers. Needed for P500 and Rancher Atv, likely 16 ft and dual axle. Are the v fronts full 16 ft. Or just at the point? Any advice welcomed. Pulling with 5.3 L pickup. Electric brake?

Looking at an 18x8.5 like @lee with extra height and V nose.

Brakes on both axles, that's a lot of weight for a ½ ton. I've got a 14' LTZ Z71 crew with the 5.3, 9600ish towing capacity. I'm figuring 8-9mpg based on pulling similar but lighter trailers

Look at your owners manual and it should tell you tow rating based on trucks setup.

Reactions: 100Acre and Mudder
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Just priced upgraded special order Spartan 7x16, with 7 ft door, dual torsion 3500 axles with electric break away brakes, .30 skin and 6 tie downs and flow thru air vents at $5k. Would be extra $1k for rubber floor and 2 ft up walls for wash down. Read where torsion springs are recommended over leaf. Saw where law is brakes on each wheel if over 3k lbs. $$. On the fence now about open trailer at $2k.

M

misterkit

Jun 30, 2016
ny
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
what did you end up deciding to do?

Reactions: Mudder
AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
I like my 16 ft flat deck!

Resized 20170413 190449

Al

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
I have a 16' v-nose X 8.5 wide. I think the 16' is 17'1" inside to the v (going from memory).
It's branded as a Look Element cargo trailer.
Also I got the extra 6" height.
The door is 80" tall so a Pk1 will just fit when I haul a Pk1.
On the down side the extra height and width add to the parachute effect and bring the mpg down.
Also the Pilot doesn't like going faster than 70 (stays in 3rd gear and revs the engine to make enough power to move the air).
The sales literature says it should weigh 2100# but the weigh slip I got to register it says 3200#.
I tent to believe the weigh slip.

'05 Rancher and a p500 fit nose to tail with no monkey business.
No tipping the quad on end or turning it sidewise.
ATVs will fit side by side but the p500 is a full 50" wide, so only a really small quad would fit beside it.
I made a quick calculation, the p500 is heavier per inch than the Rancher, put the p500 in first to move the CG forward.

You definitely want electric brakes.
In the wet the trailer will push the truck around with no weight in the back of the truck.
Also with a light load I can pull the trailer with my Honda Pilot. Gives a little more flexibility.
Have you tried running the Pilot in full manual mode? I have a similar problem in my Touareg - in auto mode the trany hunts and shifts constantly, and sometimes seems to lock in a lower gear going up a long grade and approaches the rev limiter. When in full manual mode, I control shift points and keep tach in a comfortable range.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
The older Pilot doesn't give you that Mich control.
Apparently it just is not needed while dropping the kids off at soccer practice.
The manual says to leave the shifter in '3' (and let it Rev - but it doesn't say that part).

But I 'down graded' to an MDX.
I can control the gear now but I would rather have the Pilot back.

I do like the adaptive cruse control and lane keep assist.
Makes a long day driving less stressful.

Reactions: DaddyDubbs
J

JTW

Trailer ordered, Spartan, 8x18, beaver tail, 7 ft, 81 inch tall door.

View attachment 66470
Is that as tall as you could get the door with the beaver tail ? When I asked about it, I was told the beaver would get me another couple inches of door height? Hence, I was thinking 7.5 tall with a beaver. Would give me a little better than 84” which would cover any future mods.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Yes, 24 inch beaver tail added 3 inches more door clearance at no extra cost on 8x18 frame. 78 high without it. Figured a little extra height might come in handy someday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chooglin and JTW
SXSHP500CO

SXSHP500CO

Pounding - Beaver
Lifetime Member
Dec 2, 2017
Northglenn Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Image I bought a 7 x16 - need to work on the inside to make it a dual purpose trailer. I asked the old ball-n- chain if she will sleep in it once completed, she said HELL NO! So I guess she'll be sleep out side then.....

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 68286 I bought a 7 x16 - need to work on the inside to make it a dual purpose trailer. I asked the old ball-n- chain if she will sleep in it once completed, she said HELL NO! So I guess she'll be sleep out side then.....

Nice trailer man! Is that all aluminum? Yeah, for some reason women are more opposed to sh**ing in a bucket than we are. :D

Reactions: JTW and Gassygordo
rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
@Mudder are you still rocking the Spartan enclosed trailer? I've been leaning on getting a dual purpose enclosed trailer for the 520 and to also hunt/camp out of. I'm liking the size of that 8x18. Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread, but trying to figure out if there a specific brands that are better than others or what is going to work the best for my situation.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!