P1000 Engine crack

W

WISCO

Jul 13, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
8624AEF7 6C87 417A 9139 E901F8600003 E6B9FB56 27E9 45A1 A863 47FC3D9DDFBE New member here and happy owner of a 1000-3. I’ve owned my P1000 for over a year and thoroughly enjoy it. A recent visit to my local honda dealership for the clutch improvement and heat shield recall has me frustrated.

After bringing the machine home I found oil dripping from the skid plate. I removed the skid plate and cleaned up the residual oil left from the clutch cover replacement. While cleaning up the oil, I noticed a crack on the engine spacer forward of the new clutch cover.

After contacting the dealership, I was told my machine is out of warranty and honda would not cover the repair regardless of the fact that they just replaced the clutch cover, which bolts through the spacer. I was also told that if it wasn’t leaking oil not to worry about it. Really?
Has anyone seen or heard of this?

Reactions: BWAF
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
It’s obvious the mechanic who installed the clutch update caused the damage:mad:
Demand they fix it immediately and provide you with a loaner at no charge until it’s done! Or...lawyer up!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
It’s obvious the mechanic who installed the clutch update caused the damage:mad:
Demand they fix it immediately and provide you with a loaner at no charge until it’s done! Or...lawyer up!
Agreed. Without even reading this I noticed the clutch update and said that's the cause. Luckily, it's not the major engine section and the clutch spacer.

Though, I do think that the bolt hole is sealed and the outer is just the bolt housing.
Hummm... Since its causing no problems and no leaks I can see this may be difficult to win.
IDK... Me, I would probably just leave it.

Here's your part. Part #1 as the whole kit. --> Honda Side by Side 2017 OEM Parts Diagram for Oil Pump - Partzilla.com

W

WISCO

Jul 13, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Agreed. Without even reading this I noticed the clutch update and said that's the cause. Luckily, it's not the major engine section and the clutch spacer.

Though, I do think that the bolt hole is sealed and the outer is just the bolt housing.
Hummm... Since its causing no problems and no leaks I can see this may be difficult to win.
IDK... Me, I would probably just leave it.

Here's your part. Part #1 as the whole kit. --> Honda Side by Side 2017 OEM Parts Diagram for Oil Pump - Partzilla.com
Yeah it may be alright, but...;) I’d still make them fix it! It would bug the s*** out of me that my rig left the shop in worst shape than it went in. Some fights are worth fighting:cool:

W

WISCO

Jul 13, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for the P/N and I think your right about the bolt being sealed. The dealership is claiming it was pre existing and its been elevated to the regional service manager. My hopes = not high!

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Thanks for the P/N and I think your right about the bolt being sealed. The dealership is claiming it was pre existing and its been elevated to the regional service manager. My hopes = not high!
If your dealership says it was pre existing than they obviously documented it somewhere and contacted you to ask if you would like it replaced righto_O:rolleyes:

W

WISCO

Jul 13, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If your dealership says it was pre existing than they obviously documented it somewhere and contacted you to ask if you would like it replaced righto_O:rolleyes:
Nope!!! And exactly what I said to them. Now I will play the waiting game while losing trail time. Mad!!

Reactions: BWAF and Eltobgi
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I think there is a hollow dowel to align the covers right there. If so, and the cover was put on crooked and tightened it could crack that spacer.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
I remember that spot (because I have taking mine apart about 15 times) I think there is a spot in the casting because mine has a vertical mark exactly where that crack is. There is a dowel there and I bet if you pull that bolt out unless they put a new one back in they over tightened it and there is a good change that bolt will be deformed. Definitely their fault and possibly a weakness in that casting in that particular spot

W

WISCO

Jul 13, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
2947009A 66F6 4B31 A36D 6E29610AEC90 After reading the previous reply, I took another look. Depending on the light and angle, its difficult to tell if it’s a casting flaw or crack. Here is another picture.

Kilo427, yours does have a casting flaw in the same location and its not cracked?
Can anyone else confirm their machine does or does not have this?

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yes it has the casting flaw same spot and it does look like a crack but it’s not cracked it’s just the casting I’m gonna say with that new picture you took looks more like casting flaw

W

WISCO

Jul 13, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yes it has the casting flaw same spot and it does look like a crack but it’s not cracked it’s just the casting I’m gonna say with that new picture you took looks more like casting flaw
Thanks,

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!