BOX1

P1000 Engine cutting off when stopping

S

Sloganuga

Jun 19, 2015
Leesburg, GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2017 1000-5 deluxe with 500 miles. Started this weekend and has done it 5 or 6 times today. When slowing down and coming to a stop the engine will die. Usually will not start back up unless you turn key off and then back on. Also noticed the rpm gauge is doing some weird movement when turning the ignition back on but before starting. Any ideas on this one?

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Loose electrical wires or bad Air Filtero_O or bad Spark plugs, or plugged spark arrestoro_O

Tell us about your service historyo_O

S

Sloganuga

Jun 19, 2015
Leesburg, GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A bit of additional info. It also most seems like the clutch is not fully disengaging when coming to a stop and thus bogging and dying. Also the shift points are changed (lost shift memory) upon restarting.

ohiohunter

ohiohunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2016
Minerva Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would look at grounds on battery or battery its self.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
If it keeps dying and you still have a warranty bring it back in.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Sloganuga
Do you know how to record the diagnostic trouble code? Try taking a quick cell phone video of dash panel when it dies. That will tell us your code and will allow us to help diagnose your issues.

S

Sloganuga

Jun 19, 2015
Leesburg, GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks all. I went ahead and put the battery on charge at lunch and will check the grounds tonight (hopefully). Neohio, I will check for trouble codes and let everyone know. I don't know how off the top of my head but have the service manual at the house. I assume it is just a blink pattern on the display?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks all. I went ahead and put the battery on charge at lunch and will check the grounds tonight (hopefully). Neohio, I will check for trouble codes and let everyone know. I don't know how off the top of my head but have the service manual at the house. I assume it is just a blink pattern on the display?
Correct, long blinks are units of 10, short quick blinks are units of 1.
Add them all together and hit the service manual for direction.

S

Sloganuga

Jun 19, 2015
Leesburg, GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Checked when I got home this evening and no codes are being thrown. Embedded is a video of what the display is doing after the engine shuts down. Note you can hear the clicking of a relay in the background. It appears to be the fuel pump relay opening and closing repeatedly.

GerryC

GerryC

Sep 6, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Checked when I got home this evening and no codes are being thrown. Embedded is a video of what the display is doing after the engine shuts down. Note you can hear the clicking of a relay in the background. It appears to be the fuel pump relay opening and closing repeatedly.
This going to sound weird....but be absolutely sure you are not left foot braking and touching the accelerator pedal at the same time inadvertently. There is a built in program in the electronics for clutching that is a default to more serious issues. If you do it more than "X" number of times, the default kicks into a limp home mode. It happened to me twice in first 200 mi. Once I figured it out it never happened again. Hoping you are that lucky too.....just sayin

S

Sloganuga

Jun 19, 2015
Leesburg, GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Quick update. The problem continues to get worse. Now it will shut off when stopping or starting. You have to gently get it going or it will die. Also noticed you can hear a humming after all power is off and key is removed. Sounds like the fuel pump pressurizing. Shifting is also jerky. It killed the battery last night so charged it up and took to the shop to hopefully get it repaired under warranty (5 months old). Service manager said about a 2 week backlog. I'll update when they figure it out.

S

Sloganuga

Jun 19, 2015
Leesburg, GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Over 2 weeks at the shop now and they cannot figure it out. They had a call in to Honda and waiting to hear back...

evildoctor

evildoctor

May 2, 2016
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Over 2 weeks at the shop now and they cannot figure it out. They had a call in to Honda and waiting to hear back...

Any updates? I'm having the same issues with it cutting off minus the weird sounds and all that. It cuts off during driving and would only restart when I turn the key back to the "off" position and restart it then. Found a few posts pointing the issue to be a faulty fuel injector plug wire.

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You nailed it. There is a neat little repair plug here at the store. Get those (2) at least you should be good to go

Reactions: evildoctor
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Mine makes weird sounds when it cuts off. It's like it farts through the muffler, sometimes. Or maybe that was me...

Reactions: Mudwing
HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My pioneer 700 was doing it. Took it to the dealer, was a loose battery cable.

Yep, it can surely be a loose battery post/connection or bad ground.
But in most cases with that year it's the injector harness, it's not if it's going to go bad it's when. The repair kit is cheap and easy, everyone should be carrying one in their toolbox.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!