BOX1

Engine oil refill amount

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
If I'm reading the manual correctly when replacing both oil filters the amount of oil is 6.1 oz,,,, right? 6 quarts and 3.2 oz ?

Twice I have changed the oil and after I put in 6 qts and 3.2 oz of oil and let the engine run for a few minutes and shut it off and let it set for a few the dip stick shows no oil on it. So as to not over fill the engine I added 4 oz and did the run and set routine and still no oil. I have ended up adding 16 more oz of oil and now I have oil on the tip of the dip stick. I let it run and set for a few minutes and let the stick sit in the hole (not screwed in) when I take the measure.

Has anyone else endured this?

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If I'm reading the manual correctly when replacing both oil filters the amount of oil is 6.1 oz,,,, right? 6 quarts and 3.2 oz ?

Twice I have changed the oil and after I put in 6 qts and 3.2 oz of oil and let the engine run for a few minutes and shut it off and let it set for a few the dip stick shows no oil on it. So as to not over fill the engine I added 4 oz and did the run and set routine and still no oil. I have ended up adding 16 more oz of oil and now I have oil on the tip of the dip stick. I let it run and set for a few minutes and let the stick sit in the hole (not screwed in) when I take the measure.

Has anyone else endured this?
Yes I have, mine always takes a bit more.

IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
My Yamaha YXZ is the same way, you just never know how much oil it will take to get it to the upper fill line on the dip stick. Even though i use the same oil and drain it in the same manner.

Reactions: Tedbell52
Bobrhino

Bobrhino

Sep 19, 2018
Arizona & Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Same here with 2017 Pioneer 1000. Always add more with oil and filters change. About 3.2 oz with older clutch cover, nearly 4 oz extra with newer cover. Always allow hot oil to drain along time, though not sure if it matters.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
6 qts, 3.2 ounces is correct.

Mine did something similar and then I realized I was overfilling the engine. It was cooler weather and if I didn't let it warm up completely (2 bars on the temp gauge), then shut down and wait a full 3 minutes, it would take more oil (not that I remember an additional 16 ounces but it was quite a bit).
Now I completely warm it up, shut down and wait a full 3 minutes before checking and 6 qts, 3.2 ounces is always enough to fill after an oil change. Fills it right up to the full mark.

You may want to check again. First, make sure you don't have any leaks. Then make sure it is fully warmed up (maybe even drive it around a little), let it sit perfectly level for 3 minutes and check again.

Reactions: TripleB
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
6 qts, 3.2 ounces is correct.

Mine did something similar and then I realized I was overfilling the engine. It was cooler weather and if I didn't let it warm up completely (2 bars on the temp gauge), then shut down and wait a full 3 minutes, it would take more oil (not that I remember an additional 16 ounces but it was quite a bit).
Now I completely warm it up, shut down and wait a full 3 minutes before checking and 6 qts, 3.2 ounces is always enough to fill after an oil change. Fills it right up to the full mark.

You may want to check again. First, make sure you don't have any leaks. Then make sure it is fully warmed up (maybe even drive it around a little), let it sit perfectly level for 3 minutes and check again.
This procedure makes me krazie. :oops: Why didn't they just provide a dipstick with the proper markings for reading a cold engine? Simply pull the dipstick from fully seated, before starting and check my oil? The recommended way has too many variables, how many guys even wear watches any more? When I'm tinkering in the shop, all I want to do is check my oil, not start it up, wait for it to reach 2 bars, time 3 minutes, burn my fingers, check oil and wonder if I got it right. 🤔

My solution, about 1/2" above the flattened end when cold.
I Jv4qKHq XL

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
This procedure makes me krazie. :oops: Why didn't they just provide a dipstick with the proper markings for reading a cold engine? Simply pull the dipstick from fully seated, before starting and check my oil? The recommended way has too many variables, how many guys even wear watches any more? When I'm tinkering in the shop, all I want to do is check my oil, not start it up, wait for it to reach 2 bars, time 3 minutes, burn my fingers, check oil and wonder if I got it right. 🤔

My solution, about 1/2" above the flattened end when cold.
View attachment 209974
100% Agreed! I mainly only use the factory method at oil change, after a hard ride or if the engine is not stone (overnight) cold.

Otherwise, I try to park level after the last ride of the day and use your method before the first ride in the morning.

Reactions: TripleB and CID
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!