P1000 Engine water port

O

oldgasser

Feb 26, 2017
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi There: I'm hoping a Honda tech guy can answer this. I just had the Clutch and heat upgrades done to my 2017 LE. Being an old school guy and having had the engine overheat once because the auto fan module failed I would like to add a manual temp gauge. I asked the service manager if there was a plugged water port in the head of the 1000 engine and he didn't know. Before I go looking I thought I would ask on this forum. If there is one what are the size and thread pitch? I'm not that impressed with the little 4 bar temp indicator and it prevents me from using the other functions when driving because temp is a critical item when driving.

Old Gasser

Reactions: BWAF
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
96854BCA A4AE 4CA7 8ED2 9B8F4FAE3826

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Capture1

arrow pointing at coolant temp sensor.
Might be able to find a metric 18mm tee fitting and fab something up that way. (don't quote me on the threads, just a guess)
Not sure if there are other ports.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 78738
arrow pointing at coolant temp sensor.
Might be able to find a metric 18mm tee fitting and fab something up that way. (don't quote me on the threads, just a guess)
Not sure if there are other ports.

I think you might be mistaken, believe that arrow is pointing to the bleed screw, witch has a 10mm head, so m6x1.25 maybe they make a sender that small. But the stock bolt is sealed with a copper washer. I don’t think it uses a o-ring to seal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think you might be mistaken, believe that arrow is pointing to the bleed screw, witch has a 10mm head, so m6x1.25 maybe they make a sender that small. But the stock bolt is sealed with a copper washer. I don’t think it uses a o-ring to seal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are correct, the arrow is pointing at the bleed screw, right next to it is the ECT. If you remove that, it will be a larger thread that should be easy to convert for either mechanical or electric temp sensor. I would take it a step further, and see if I could tap into the factor wiring and find a gauge that will work with those signals.

O

oldgasser

Feb 26, 2017
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You are correct, the arrow is pointing at the bleed screw, right next to it is the ECT. If you remove that, it will be a larger thread that should be easy to convert for either mechanical or electric temp sensor. I would take it a step further, and see if I could tap into the factor wiring and find a gauge that will work with those signals.
Hi There: Thanks for the reply. I may pull the existing temp sensor to get thread size and pitch and just replace the factory sensor with one for a gauge. I won't have any further use for the factory temp gauge unless there is some safety feature that causes computer to alter operating system without temp info.
Old Gasser

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi There: Thanks for the reply. I may pull the existing temp sensor to get thread size and pitch and just replace the factory sensor with one for a gauge. I won't have any further use for the factory temp gauge unless there is some safety feature that causes computer to alter operating system without temp info.
Old Gasser
I bet it will change something amount of fuel injected ,fan going on and off

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Why can't all immigrants be like you? Wouldn't have to build the wall!

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Yup, if it always thinks it is cold, it won't switch open/closed loop, it may even put the bike into limp mode.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
On the other hand, if computer thinks it is overheating. It will constantly run the fan. I would have to check the service manual to see if it has other temp sensors. There might be one for the fan as well as the gauge.

O

oldgasser

Feb 26, 2017
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Yeah probably so. I guess the answer is probably to replace the drain plug with a gauge sensor.
Old Gasser

Reactions: Mudwing and BWAF
G

gpd2111

Aug 2, 2017
US
Koso makes inline temp gauges. Basically you cut the coolant hose coming from the engine to the radiator and put their tee in there then the temp gauge attaches to the other side of the tee. I have used these on several motorcycles and they work great. Just need to know the size of the coolant line

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!