BOX1

P700 EPS recall done + fuel pump. Now it dies when driving.

Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
Got my 19' 700 back from dealership yesterday. It stalled twice at idle in the dealership driveway. EPS Light came on both times. Could not get it to die a third time, EPS Light was off on restart.

Against my better judgement, I brought it home. It died 5 times in 3 miles, varying RPM/SPEED. Twice, the EPS Light came on as it died. Three times the entire dash lit up as it died.

This machine has been perfect up until now.
I'm very dissapointed in the testing of the dealership. Now I get to haul it back.
45 mins each way is adding up.
They are closed Sunday & Monday so riding this weekend is out.

Btw, the dealership said the EPS bolt was knicked. Apparently they screwed something important up.

Does an EPS malfunction typically shut the machine down???? The fuel pump was also replaced under recall.

wrhii

wrhii

Lifetime Member
Feb 22, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got my 19' 700 back from dealership yesterday. It stalled twice at idle in the dealership driveway. EPS Light came on both times. Could not get it to die a third time, EPS Light was off on restart.

Against my better judgement, I brought it home. It died 5 times in 3 miles, varying RPM/SPEED. Twice, the EPS Light came on as it died. Three times the entire dash lit up as it died.

This machine has been perfect up until now.
I'm very dissapointed in the testing of the dealership. Now I get to haul it back.
45 mins each way is adding up.
They are closed Sunday & Monday so riding this weekend is out.

Btw, the dealership said the EPS bolt was knicked. Apparently they screwed something important up.

Does an EPS malfunction typically shut the machine down???? The fuel pump was also replaced under recall.
Look around the fuel pump area. A lot going there as far as wiring and stuff that has to be taken loose to get to the pump. Of course look for anything left off or not tightened back up. Battery connections and so forth. Cant hurt to look and stand the chance of waisting a good Sunday broke down in the garage. 🤷‍♂️ 👍:confused:

H

HondaTech

Check battery cables, the battery has to be removed to remove the fuel pump. Also check battery to starter solenoid wire to be sure its not loose.

There's not really anything they could've done to the eps doing the steering recall. Its just the lower joint.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I know you got a 700, but when the EPS light lights up on the wifes P1000, it means battery issues. Like low voltage because it hasnt been ran in a while, bad ground connections, dirty connections, etc.. Like stated previously, check wires, connections, voltage on battery, etc.. good luck!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Am i mistaken, or will the EPS light come on anytime the engine isn't running? I don't think Mine ever goes out until I crank the engine, and I've never had a stall to see.
Point being that the EPS may simply be because of the stall, and not from the cause?

But...it does sound electrical. I'd check those cables and grounds.

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They didn't plug something in all the way or didn't get batt terminals tight .p1000 eps light comes on anytime engine isn't running but key is on. So I assume p700 works same way

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Am i mistaken, or will the EPS light come on anytime the engine isn't running? I don't think Mine ever goes out until I crank the engine, and I've never had a stall to see.
Point being that the EPS may simply be because of the stall, and not from the cause?

But...it does sound electrical. I'd check those cables and grounds.
In my wifes case on her 1000 it was after it was jump started and the engine is running. It blinks sporadically. Not like its blinking a code or anything.

Reactions: DG Rider
Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
They didn't plug something in all the way or didn't get batt terminals tight .p1000 eps light comes on anytime engine isn't running but key is on. So I assume p700 works same way

I looked at the battery compartment and all the plugs yesterday. Everything looks tight and secure. Including the battery connections, ECU etc. I was really hoping to find an easy fix.
I'm going to drop it off at the dealership today.
I have a bad feeling this is going to be a "can't reproduce it" issue. Although pulling the codes should provide some info.

ETA, called the dealership this morning and explained that it's shutting down while driving.
Happened 5 times in 3.5 miles.
No sputtering at all. It feels just like someone turned the key off while I was driving.
It starts back up, thankfully.
Service manager said they will check the spark plugs...

The machine has 90hrs on it. 4 tanks of gas tops. Been 100% solid until they installed the recall parts. I REALLY hope they don't act stupid on this.

Last edited:
Reactions: wrhii and Smitty335
wrhii

wrhii

Lifetime Member
Feb 22, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I looked at the battery compartment and all the plugs yesterday. Everything looks tight and secure. Including the battery connections, ECU etc. I was really hoping to find an easy fix.
I'm going to drop it off at the dealership today.
I have a bad feeling this is going to be a "can't reproduce it" issue. Although pulling the codes should provide some info.

ETA, called the dealership this morning and explained that it's shutting down while driving.
Happened 5 times in 3.5 miles.
No sputtering at all. It feels just like someone turned the key off while I was driving.
It starts back up, thankfully.
Service manager said they will check the spark plugs...

The machine has 90hrs on it. 4 tanks of gas tops. Been 100% solid until they installed the recall parts. I REALLY hope they don't act stupid on this.
Let us know please

Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
Stopped by dealership today.
They "have a call into Honda" since they can't figure it out.
I have 90 days left on my factory 1yr warranty.
Should I get this on file with Honda in case it drags out?

Last edited:
Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
Big surprise, zero update or calls from the dealership. I'm really regretting letting them touch my pioneer. I'm seeing now they are best suited for tires and oil changes.
I'm planning to open a case with Honda today.
The dealership won't put the old parts back, won't take ownership of the issue and has already billed out the repair to Honda. Basically, they have no motivation to get my machine back to me.

Reactions: TripleB
Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
Got the call to pick it up yesterday.
Dealership says the problem was the spark plugs. They were "fuel fouled."
(Machine only has 3 tanks of non ethanol high test through it)
I live on a 2 Mile gravel private road so every time it's started up, I run it at least 2 miles just to keep the battery charged.
I rode it about .5 a mile at the dealership service road with no problems so time will tell.
I have a sneaky suspicion they are just saving face with the spark plug story.
Makes no difference at this point.
Hopefully I have a solid machine again.

It was a "demo" machine so it probably idled slot and had short trips in the parking lot prior to me owning it, so it might be legit.
Ran perfect before the recalls, ran s***ty after so who knows...

wrhii

wrhii

Lifetime Member
Feb 22, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got the call to pick it up yesterday.
Dealership says the problem was the spark plugs. They were "fuel fouled."
(Machine only has 3 tanks of non ethanol high test through it)
I live on a 2 Mile gravel private road so every time it's started up, I run it at least 2 miles just to keep the battery charged.
I rode it about .5 a mile at the dealership service road with no problems so time will tell.
I have a sneaky suspicion they are just saving face with the spark plug story.
Makes no difference at this point.
Hopefully I have a solid machine again.

It was a "demo" machine so it probably idled slot and had short trips in the parking lot prior to me owning it, so it might be legit.
Ran perfect before the recalls, ran s***ty after so who knows...
Thanks for the update

Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
The stalling problem is back. Took 4 restarts just to get it on the trailer. Less than a tank of fuel since I got it back.
Basically same issue as last time. Starts fine, revs up ok in neutral. Dies when in gear at any and all RPM. No error codes.

This all started after the fuel pump upgrade.
Dealership said the spark plugs were fouled.
It ran fine for about 3/4 tank of fuel now it's stalling again. I plan to bring it back to the dealership on Tuesday. Very frustrating!!!!

I did open a ticket with Honda last time so at least there is a record of this issue.
My factory warranty runs out in January.
This isn't looking good.

Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
Still dealing with this. Multiple dealer trips.
First it was spark plugs, then a ground issue...then water in the fuel.
This all started when the fuel pump recall was done. So disappointed with the dealership support.

Reactions: TripleB and Mudwing
C

caverat

Feb 3, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 700-2
This sounds very suspicious of the new fuel pump they installed. Like a bad connection internally. If it was me at this point I would replace the fuel pump.
Then if problem still continues start inspecting every connection. not just for being connected tight but inside the plugs looking for bent an d broken pins. Then if no problems are found I would run a bypass wire from the key on whip under the hood to the fuel pump. This will tell you if the wire is damaged. This is defiantly an electrical issue! The causes they have given you are almost always associated with other problems. Maybe they need to higher someone other than a high school kid for a mechanic.

Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
After 6 attempts by 2 different dealerships (it's fixed, bring it home then bring it back) it was determined to be water in the fuel.

The tank was "drained" but the issue continued, albeit less frequently.
Rather than bring it back again, I dumped a can of gas water remover in it.
The stalling issue hasn't occured in 1/4 tank.
Fingers crossed that was the root cause.
I'm skeptical.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!