P1000 Excessive turf mode use?

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I only have about 85 miles on my '21 P1K-3 but I have been running in turf mode most of those miles. I have mainly been running hard packed forest trails, dirt roads, and some pavement roads. The reason for this type of use has been mainly because I just had back fusion surgery just under 2 months ago. About 25 of those miles were done before surgery. Anyway, is it possible to overwork the clutches and transmission if turf mode is used so much? Thanks!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I only have about 85 miles on my '21 P1K-3 but I have been running in turf mode most of those miles. I have mainly been running hard packed forest trails, dirt roads, and some pavement roads. The reason for this type of use has been mainly because I just had back fusion surgery just under 2 months ago. About 25 of those miles were done before surgery. Anyway, is it possible to overwork the clutches and transmission if turf mode is used so much? Thanks!
I kinda doubt it.

Plowboy1466

Plowboy1466

Lifetime Member
Feb 11, 2018
Ashland, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Turf mode has nothing to do with the transmission or the clutches. It just unlocks the rear differential so both wheels aren't trying to turn at the same speed. I run mine in turf as much as I can to not wear out the drivetrain.

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
How did your back fusion go I had 2 back fusions last year the last one was in November I am still trying to heal up they fused the last 2 disc at the bottom getting over back fusion surgery is a long slow process

Last edited:
Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
How did your back fusion go I had to back fusions last year the last one was in November I am still trying to heal up they fused the last 2 disc at the bottom getting over back fusion surgery is a long slow process
This was the first back surgery for me. The bottom 2 vertebrae plus the big sacrum bone at the bottom. Two rods and six screews.. surgery went very well and pretty much took care of the stenosis leg pain I had for over 2 years. But recovery is very slow to heal like you say. I need to stay off the bumps on the trails for another couple months or so..

D

Dasmoeturhead

This was the first back surgery for me. The bottom 2 vertebrae plus the big sacrum bone at the bottom. Two rods and six screews.. surgery went very well and pretty much took care of the stenosis leg pain I had for over 2 years. But recovery is very slow to heal like you say. I need to stay off the bumps on the trails for another couple months or so..
Good luck with your back. Sounds like your getting some relief. I fractured L1 & L2 and broke 2 ribs when I fell of a ladder 15 months ago. No surgery yet, cuz docs say there isn't anything they can do. It hurts like Hell when I bend over to do anything. Cheers!

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yep I got 2 rods and 6 screws my self but the doctors think the bottom 2 screws might be loose causing me pain so they may take out the bottom 2 screws my bones have fused together so they want have to replace the bottom screws when they take them out I am ready to get over this I haven’t done much of anything the last year and my wife is getting tired of putting my shoes on she was putting on my underwear basically dressing me the last year have you started physical therapy yet and good luck and get better and be careful

Soaz1000

Soaz1000

Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2018
Soaz
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've had two back surgeries the last one L4-L5 was fused. My best advice is to follow what your doctor and physical therapist says to the tee. Yes your going to get frustrated and it takes along time, but in the long run you'll be better off for it.
Don't be afraid to ask for help moving heavy items. Also using hand trucks become second nature. Good luck with your recovery.

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Good luck with your back. Sounds like your getting some relief. I fractured L1 & L2 and broke 2 ribs when I fell of a ladder 15 months ago. No surgery yet, cuz docs say there isn't anything they can do. It hurts like Hell when I bend over to do anything. Cheers!
Very sorry to read about your accident and injuries. Hope there will be something that can be done sometime in the near future to help you out. My back problem was just due to a lifetime of not taking as good care of how I used it as I should have. Lots of arthritis bone build up where the nerves had less and less room to move. Also had two bulging discs that didn't help matters at all.

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yep I got 2 rods and 6 screws my self but the doctors think the bottom 2 screws might be loose causing me pain so they may take out the bottom 2 screws my bones have fused together so they want have to replace the bottom screws when they take them out I am ready to get over this I haven’t done much of anything the last year and my wife is getting tired of putting my shoes on she was putting on my underwear basically dressing me the last year have you started physical therapy yet and good luck and get better and be careful
I really know what you mean about needing help with doing almost everything. My wife has been great to be caring for me like she has.. don't know what I would do without her.. she has also been my best physical therapist I could ask for!

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I use turf mode a lot too. Sometimes I forget and run up steep ditches to roads and am always impressed how much traction there is in turf mode.
I need to start using the paddle shifters, sometimes when going up steeper hills the automatic transmission upshifts at times when it probably shouldn't and it sounds like the engine is lugging until the transmission does a downshift, all in turf mode. I still haven't tried using the paddle shifters.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I was also very glad to read on another post about delaying the 100 mile first oil change. There is no way I would be able do that oil change myself!
BS, all it takes is a 10 & 12 mm socket, short extensions, 1/4 & 3/8 drives, funnel, oil & filters and rags. And a lot of patience, it's a pain in the butt. I suggest starting at the back with the engine and then the oil pan drains, then the filters.

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I need to start using the paddle shifters, sometimes when going up steeper hills the automatic transmission upshifts at times when it probably shouldn't and it sounds like the engine is lugging until the transmission does a downshift, all in turf mode. I still haven't tried using the paddle shifters.
Absolutely. Awesome for downgrades too. Always use them in automatic mode. I barely use MT unless crawling.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!