Explaination of 1000cc "limit" on engines.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It was explained to me by a person who deals with such things that the major manufactures have become members of this organization.

http://www.rohva.org/

This organization has imposed a 1000cc limit for its member companies, for their recreational off-highway vehicles, to be defined as a ROV the machine must meet certain requirements. 1000cc limit on engine size is one of them. These are guidelines used by state and federal agencies to grant or restrict land access, enforce DOT registration requirements and tax laws.

It's not that a SXS can't have a 1001cc engine or greater, it's that it would not be considered a ROV and could be subject to other regulations and requirements that an ROV is not likely to be subject to.

For example Kubota's 1100 RTV is basically a diesel tractor with more than one seat and a suspension (it has hydraulic PTO capability and is limited to 25-29mph depending on model). They don't market it as an ROV but as a Utility Vehicle.

hondarock

hondarock

Jun 19, 2015
CARB would call it a Sand Car.
HIGHWAY MOTORCYCLE & OFF-HIGHWAY RECREATIONAL VEHICLE CATEGORIES: ATV or ATVA=all terrain vehicle conforming to the
California definition in 13 CCR 2411(a); ATVB=Off-highway or non-road recreational vehicles that meet USEPA definition for an all-terrain
vehicle or USEPA definition for an off-road utility vehicle and, in addition, meet one or more CARB definitions for an all terrain vehicle, off-road
utility vehicle, off-road sport vehicle, and/or sand car, EGC=electric golf cart, HMC=on-road or highway motorcycle; HMC-IA / -IB=HMC below
50 cc / 50 cc to below 170 cc: HMC II=HMC 170 cc to below 280 cc: HMC-III=HMC 280 cc and above; OFMC=off-road motorcycle; SC=sand
car above 1000 cc: OFRSV=off-road sport vehicle, including otherwise sand car but with 1000 cc engine or smaller; OFRUV=off-road utility
vehicle:

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Yep, a 2000cc four cylinder….😳
I think it’s awesome. True game changer. The technology (some will argue takes away from the purity) is really cool and they are marketing the car well with some cool special editions. Really beefy a arms, real cage and double shear everything. Still a belt and porky for the power to weight ratio but in a couple years with a turbo this thing will be making 300-325 reliable HP. There’s the 40K thing but I bought a new top tier Can am and after doing the things the forum says (like you guys but less cowbell) it’s another $3K on top of the $30K msrp and close enough to the price to ponder.

Wish the Turbo S car in a 64” & 74” with 200HP, 6 speed with a Dif lock and all the tech was what Honda gave us.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I double-checked Michigan law today, and going over 1000 cc would have zero effect as far as MU law is concerned.

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!