P1000 extended warranty?

D

Dean91

Jan 9, 2021
Mesa az
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hi guys, i just bought a 21 p1k3 3 weeks ago and paid $1000 for a 4 year extended warranty. Yesterday i was reading up on what the warranty covers, and to be honest it doesnt seem to be too good, there is a page listed PARTS NOT COVERED and it seems like its just about everything on the buggy. The contract had a line in it that said i could get a full refund if its been under 30 days, and i bought this thing on 3-23, should i try to get my money back and rely on Hondas reputation of reliability? Or keep the warranty just in case?

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Did you buy a Honda warranty extension or a rip-off policy by some other name? If you bought the Honda extended warranty you may have paid a little too much but it should normally cover everything but tires and batteries.

The key that is often misunderstood is Honda or any manufacturer is not going to protect you if you abuse the machine and break it. Warranties only cover parts and labor for parts that fail in normal use as the product was intended to be used. If youu submerge it in mud or jump it off a cliff you're on your own dime.

If you bought another policy you were abused. Cancel the policy asap.

I have not purchased a warranty for an atv/utv but I put a lot of miles on two new Honda Goldwings and did buy the Honda extended warranty for each. I used the warranty for an expensive repairs at 93,000 miles on the first Goldwing. Honda was picky, very careful, but paid without any nonsense.

Aftermarket, non-manufacturer warranties are in general nothing more than profit to the dealer, the F & I manager, and the company that issues the paper. The company that issues the warranty usually goes out of business after several years to avoid claims and starts up under a different name. It's legal fraud.

Last edited:
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I don't think Honda or a Honda dealer can do that.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits a manufacturer or dealer from denying warranty coverage for capricious reasons.

Last edited:
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I purchased the extended warranty for my machine and it is an aftermarket warranty thru the dealer. I think my warranty company is called riders. Basically any warranty only covers things that break not things abused. I am a mechanic at a dealership and I have plenty of time working with warranty companies and the short of the story is that most people don't realize that the warranty is only as good as the dealer doing the work. It's all about having the knowledge to word things in a manner that gets the warranty work approved and it's all about the relationship you have with your dealer. Nine times out of ten the dealer makes all the difference. I asked A TON of questions when I bought mine and basically should be covered when I need it. It's hard to explain in short but I could give a thousand examples of how the dealer is what makes the warranties worth their money.

D

Dean91

Jan 9, 2021
Mesa az
Ownership

1. 1000-3
well good news, the dealer was cool about me wanting to cancel the EW. It was an aftermarket company that had too many exclusions, so cheers to Western Honda for taking care of it. I may buy the Honda Care warranty next year when the factory warranty expires, but at least i have 11 months to think about it.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Good. You made a wise move. If you decide you want an extended warranty Honda's is the way to go.

Reactions: Lady01
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
well good news, the dealer was cool about me wanting to cancel the EW. It was an aftermarket company that had too many exclusions, so cheers to Western Honda for taking care of it. I may buy the Honda Care warranty next year when the factory warranty expires, but at least i have 11 months to think about it.
Just a reminder the price of the warranty goes up longer you wait

Reactions: Lady01
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
As I recall Honda does not increase the price of the Honda extended warranty as time passes and miles increase. Price remains the same.

I think Honda's reasoning is it's covered by their warranty for the period they prescribe regardless of miles. If, at anytime before the warranty expires, the owner chooses to extend the warranty, the extended warranty is covered regardless of miles.

When my wife bought a Honda CR/V in 2005 and a Honda Pilot in 2010 we were told the car was covered under warranty for 36 months and we could extend the warranty at any time before expiration.

Likewise when I bought Honda Goldwings. Honda paid in full for a repair on my 2010 Goldwing at 93,,000 miles.

xltman

xltman

Feb 1, 2017
US
I just signed the paperwork on my 1000-5. Honda warranty is $1395 for an additional 4 years. You have to but it within the first year while it is still under original warranty. You DO NOT need to have it serviced at the dealership. There is no deductible on repairs, it is nationwide with no limit on shop rate. It is also transferable if you sell the unit.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

D

Dean91

Jan 9, 2021
Mesa az
Ownership

1. 1000-3
copied from Hondas website:

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Thanks. I had not seen that.

Fd203

Fd203

Apr 20, 2020
Uniontown AR.
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I just purchased extended warranty for my p3 1000 just because I have a farm and it gets used daily, I bought it in april 2020 never had a problem with it but get a warm fuzzy feeling if it's kinda protected, I bought it From [email protected] and got the real honda warranty 4 extra so a total of 5 years for around $750 so email her and let her give you a quote but this was by far the cheapest I have found. And yes I know extended warranties aren't for everyone but I feel like it was something that I wanted to pass along incase someone wanted to save some money.

BrophyCreek

BrophyCreek

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 8, 2016
New Richmond, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2016 P1K-5. I bought the Honda Care 4 year extended warranty when I bought the machine. The 1000 was a new model that year, so figured it was good insurance to have it covered at least until it was paid for. It expires next month.

Thankfully, I have never used it.

Even so, I think it was money well spent.

As hard as it is to spend the money on something you may never use, it gives piece of mind.

@Dean91: Welcome to the group!

R

rickoshea

i have the honda+ extended(canada).it covers almost everything but brakes.they even covered the oil change and sub trans change when they replaced the shot shift motor.i've yet to be denied any work on it.i think it has a lot to do with your dealer as well.i buy all my consumable parts thru them and we're on a first name basis.

Rednick69

Rednick69

Sep 10, 2020
White Hall, AR.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I just purchased extended warranty for my p3 1000 just because I have a farm and it gets used daily, I bought it in april 2020 never had a problem with it but get a warm fuzzy feeling if it's kinda protected, I bought it From [email protected] and got the real honda warranty 4 extra so a total of 5 years for around $750 so email her and let her give you a quote but this was by far the cheapest I have found. And yes I know extended warranties aren't for everyone but I feel like it was something that I wanted to pass along incase someone wanted to save some money.
Can dealers get the ext. warranty prices cheaper?

Reactions: Lady01 and ChadD
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Dealers - meaning a dealer F & I Manager, can charge any price he, his sales manager, and the GM or owner want to charge. The cost to the dealer is about $650 for a Honda Pioneer 1000 48 month extension of the factory warranty. Some dealers charge as much as $1950 for it.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
If anything has dirt on it, they will deny your claim View attachment 267235

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry, I disagree. I've experienced the opposite.

The Honda extended warranty paid a big warranty bill for me on a 2010 Goldwing with 93,000 miles. i bought it new from a dealer, kept it serviced by a dealer, and there was no question whatsoever.

Aftermarket warranties - you are correct. They will try hard to weasel out of paying.

Reactions: Lady01 and ChadD

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!