Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i picked up a couple of axles (call it planning for the future) when a good deal presented itself. Knowing that hopefully I would not have to use in the immediate future but would most likely haul In the truck when I go ride - I knew the cardboard boxes they come in would not last through a few load unloads so I began looking for options.
I first ordered a dragon fire racing axle bag for $20 - nice but it really does not offer much protection for the axle except for basic cover. So I built one tonight out of PVC. First I’ll say if you can find some thinner walled PVC you might go in that direction. Otherwise I think this has the potential to give good protection for spare axles.
Materials used
  • 4” PVC tube cut to 29”
  • 4” convex tube cap
  • 4” screw cap and connector (probably not the correct terms)
  • Pool noodle
  • Clear tape
  • Plank foam (this part still working on - and maybe don’t need)
As you can tell in the pics below I cut the tube to the length of the axle. I cut about 3.5 to 4” of the pool noodle and placed this over the spines on each side - this do 2 things (protects the spines and provides a little bit of cushion and stabilization on the ends to lessen movement inside the tube.
I cut a 4” circle out of the plank foam and I am trying it out as a stabilizer, it has a hold cut in the middle for the axle shaft and goes around the axle shaft in the middle of the tube.

I taped the cotter pin and o ring into tha cap for easy access.

One axle tube that can be tossed in back of truck with out worry of something damaging the contents.
D87185C8 356B 4868 977C 73A6052C9406

CDC1978D B4C6 4715 8192 5AD24D8A18AB 45FF4459 8EC6 43A5 8437 C651FD2E7DA5 8D58867C 9A85 48B1 B32C B2459331D4E7 B7A419EC FD44 41A3 9BF6 8D7220F74332
Lastly I write on the outside of the tube which axle is stores inside (front, rear R, rear L)

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I like it! Great idea! So to be truly prepared you would have to carry R-Rear, L-Rear, and a left or right front for a total of three tubes?o_O Possibly mounted to bed or ROPS and protected from the elements;)

Reactions: BWAF and Ragnar406
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like it! Great idea! So to be truly prepared you would have to carry R-Rear, L-Rear, and a left or right front for a total of three tubes?o_O Possibly mounted to bed or ROPS and protected from the elements;)
Yea, or ride with a couple friend that can split the load. Really I want something that I can toss in truck bed and then not worry about something being tossed on top of or put I can put in Pioneer if needed.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Yea, or ride with a couple friend that can split the load. Really I want something that I can toss in truck bed and then not worry about something being tossed on top of or put I can put in Pioneer if needed.
Yeah I could see that working for you, but for the 2017 Carnage Trophy Winner (Me):oops: I would have to find a mounting solution for all three like what @popeye recommended. Paint them black with Bed liner and they could look :cool:

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Or don't break your axles running lifts, arched A arms without steering stops and ginormous tires. 2500 miles all back to stock, goes where everyone else goes and nothing broken.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Or don't break your axles running lifts, arched A arms without steering stops and ginormous tires. 2500 miles all back to stock, goes where everyone else goes and nothing broken.
To date I have not broken any axles either. I have tore 2 boots at different times while on the trails. I do a few multi day trips a year and have begun to accumulate a few spare parts to hopefully keep me or a friend up and running should something happen. If a boot gets tore really bad it would be a quick fix to swap to a new axle and keep riding for the weekend allowing me time to change the boot at home.

I don't plan on packing axles in the Honda on a daily ride. I do plan on tossing them in the truck bed for any multi day trips.

Reactions: JTW and BWAF
Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015

Probably just as much for other riders as it is for him. Nice to have axles for the beginners that have problems with skinny pedal management. I have always had 30s never had steering stops it’s about how you drive it. Although yes I was one of the first to discover the brake lines needed to be a small bit longer (I know your gonna say it)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Also know when to stop pressing the skinny pedal...
If not that then what??
I think Pioneer gets by with either lift OR arched a-arms pretty easy. Arms here only but no steering stop, can’t deal with that limited steering where we’re at. Killed off the lift after the shocks. We’ve never actually broke an axle with our setup. Some can break axles dead stock but sure easier with too much bind. 4 loc it’s grabbing everything it can find so caution needs to be given there.

Reactions: Eltobgi and BWAF
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If not that then what??
I think Pioneer gets by with either lift OR arched a-arms pretty easy. Arms here only but no steering stop, can’t deal with that limited steering where we’re at. Killed off the lift after the shocks. We’ve never actually broke an axle with our setup. Some can break axles dead stock but sure easier with too much bind. 4 loc it’s grabbing everything it can find so caution needs to be given there.

I don't have the steering stops in mine but I am conscientious of that and if it is at full lock I won't put much power into it if it isn't wanting to move or the steering feedback is telling me that its a bad choice. If I can I'll reposition and take a better angle to save the axle, I like to ride not repair, if I can avoid repairs I will. I haven't broken anything, and the only tie rod I have bent was on a wide open straightaway where I hit a cross trail rut going too fast. I definently have dents in the side bars from rocks, have had to straighten the skid plate crossmember from the same, and have had a few tire patches on the 4Ply bighorns. I am not afraid of a rough trail, but I am also not going to get a lot of views on youtube either.

D

DDDonkey

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 29, 2017
AZ
I like your idea, I have yet to break an axle but also like to use low gear and go slow. I am getting ready to replace my first tie rod as I bent on hitting a tree root going about 25mph. It is not too bad, but knowing it is bent I have to replace it.

Have you thought or putting an extra tie rod in with the axle?

Reactions: BWAF and Ragnar406
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like your idea, I have yet to break an axle but also like to use low gear and go slow. I am getting ready to replace my first tie rod as I bent on hitting a tree root going about 25mph. It is not too bad, but knowing it is bent I have to replace it.

Have you thought or putting an extra tie rod in with the axle?
I carry a spare tie rod (or 2) on my machine at all times.. Currently I store them in the Rear door mod. I have learned that tie rods are going to bend if you run at all in any type of tight trails.

D

DDDonkey

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 29, 2017
AZ
I carry a spare tie rod (or 2) on my machine at all times.. Currently I store them in the Rear door mod. I have learned that tie rods are going to bend if you run at all in any type of tight trails.
That’s how I bent mine, tight trail through the trees and a little throttle happy.

Reactions: Plumber32 and BWAF
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Nice job building those containers @Ragnar406 that is awesome way to transport. I wish the pioneer only had one rear axle it would make it much easier for us to carry parts safely but I’m positive those will do that job!

I wonder why the rearend wasn’t shifted one way or another so they were both the same?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I wonder why the rearend wasn’t shifted one way or another so they were both the same?
Maybe they felt the rear end was better aligned with trans the way it is would be my only guess. Sucks though because it drives the price and inconvenience up. Not to mention one will turn a bit more in turf mode.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!