Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Looking to get a new 3/4 ton diesel, GMC or Ford. Any real world feedback on either you have experienced? Drove a ford today and noticed a lot of effort just to turn the wheel, like almost 2 handed in the parking lot. GMC pretty much feels like my 1500 but stiffer suspension and less body roll. Gmc felt a touch quicker but ford has better/more options. The ultimate tow camera package was pretty awesome in the ford.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm driving a '16 GMC Denali w/a Duramax. Works for me.

If you're buying a truck to pull/tow and not do much pleasure riding, go with a Ford.
If you want a truck to tow/pull some and still go to town and enjoy the ride, go GMC.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Diesels ....... had one ford 3/4, never will again. Had 2 Duramax 3/4 and 1 ton, good service from both. Had one old Dodge 1 ton, loved the motor drive train, but truck was junk. Looked at the NEW designed Rams 1 ton last year and could NOT believe it was the same trucks. Still had the great drive train, but the truck was leap years ahead of the previous. A year old now and STILL tight as a fiddle string, no rattles of ANY type, ALL the functions/asscessories I wanted (including 2nd camera for the cargo/GN ball), rides as good as the Chevy, and cheaper than the Ford or GM. If the Ram was available with the Allison Transmission, it would be all a man could ask for ....... lol.

Last edited:
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking to get a new 3/4 ton diesel, GMC or Ford. Any real world feedback on either you have experienced? Drove a ford today and noticed a lot of effort just to turn the wheel, like almost 2 handed in the parking lot. GMC pretty much feels like my 1500 but stiffer suspension and less body roll. Gmc felt a touch quicker but ford has better/more options. The ultimate tow camera package was pretty awesome in the ford.
Go with the ford. More options better motor. You will get more for your money. Mine is a f350 platinum I drive it every day and trust me you can go to town and enjoy the ride.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I had a 13 GMC k2500 4 door. @elkguide is right on with my thoughts. The GM product has a much better ride while empty and loaded as you described. I feel the drive trains of both are plenty enough for the normal persons needs. I'm truck got 17 mpg empty and 10.5 ( staying between 65 and 70)while towing my 32' fifth wheel. The only down side I had was I had to use my cruise control while towing! If not I would be doing 80 pulling my trailer.

1rooster

1rooster

Jul 18, 2017
Fitzgerald Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4
Up until last year I was over all of the maintenance on our ambulance fleet. We run powerstrokes all from the 6.0 to the 6.7's. we also run a ton of duramaxs as well. ( more duramax than powerstroke). its a tight race but the duramax's cause less trouble than the powerstrokes and stay out the shops a lot less as well. A few months ago we had to put a brand new 6.7 engine with 42,xxx miles on it. It spun a bearing.

If you decide to go with Ford I would try and stay away from the 6.4. Seems to be a super good engine up till about 100,000 miles. Then they go down quick !

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's a toss up. The ford is the most expensive and worst resale. If it was a diesel is go duramax hands down. Same power in both, I know personally 5 people that had the new f250 only 1 still has it. Others were plagued with problems. And very little support. Hell you got to pull the cab just to replace some common sensors.
Chevy gives you better mileage better transmission. Cheapest interior , but Chevy really stands behind their products.

I realize you dont have ram on there. But the ride is really good with the coil overs. If your to tow heavy the ram offers air suspension in their heavy duties and it is awesome. Plus they have the Cummins. I have 28,000 miles on my now I'm strictly towing and it gets better every trip. I would go and drive all three then make up your mind

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another thing to pay attention to is payload on a 2500 truck. There's not as much there as you would think. The crew cab diesels are around 2200lbs of payload. That's tounge weight and passengers also what you got in the box. Technically I'm probably over loaded with my set up.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
First realise by starting this you are going to hear the good and the terrible about every manufacturer. They all make good trucks.

My diesel guy is top notch and the only person I'd ever let touch my truck.

Here is what HE would tell you...
As far as newer trucks go he says the ford has the best package. The 6.7 puts out the most power and their transmission is way better than the Allison. They've ran 1500hp through one with no issues. The dodge tranny is actually number 2 then Chevy. The dodge has a great tranny but the torque converter only lasts about 100k and starts to shudder. He says replace it and then its bullet proof.

I have a 2015 ford 6.7 and my buddy has a 15' Cummins. There is no comparison. The ford has a scary amount of power. I dont think the duramax is all that great and the cummins just seems to run forever.

As far as ride quality Chevy used to take the cake but I don't think so anymore. Ford has really improved and so has dodge. You'll need to buy towards the upper end of any of them if you want a 3/4 ton that rides like a half ton.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I have a Ford had it for 17 years with some problems. Got a new one last year and it's been in the shop 4 times aready.

1rooster

1rooster

Jul 18, 2017
Fitzgerald Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4
One weird thing I noticed (like clock work) was almost ALL our chevys developed a power steering fluid leak coming from the brake master around 80k to 100k. You would find power steering fluid coming from the driver front fender well. Something about a internal o ring would degrade over time and leak

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've been a sales manager for a new car store(s) for going on 30 years. I LIVE this business, and have driven pretty much everything you can think of.

Fact is, the big three all make pretty good trucks. Each has plus's and minuses. You've just gotta pick what works best for you.

I've always said the Dodge has the best engine. That Cummins is pretty dam hard to beat. It'll get the best fuel economy out of all three, but as has been said, it has the weakest tranny, and the truck itself is STILL not up to par with the other two.
The GM trucks have always had a great ride. "Great" being the most plush.
I'm not into plush when it comes to my truck.

Since '11, Ford has had the best truck overall IMO. The resale on a well equipped 6.7 F250-350 is unreal.

I've always been a Chevy guy. Had numerous Silverado's over the years.. but 17 years ago, the wife wanted more power to pull the horse trailer.. The Chev's and GMC's back then looked wimpy.

I'm one of those guys that bought a new Superduty in late 2003 with the 6.0. At the time, it was quiet, made great power, and had a good rep. That didn't last long.
However.. MY luck was excellent. I got rid of the EGR at 90K, put a tuner on it, and then cringed every time I hammered it (which was often cause it ripped!) because I knew I should put head studs in it. I didn't. I ran it to 120K and sold it. Best dam truck I ever owned.

Which is why I replaced it in '14 with a new F350 6.7 Platinum. Absolutely LOVE my truck. I don't give a sh!t what I hook to it, it pulls it with ease. Love the tranny, great engine braking downhill.. love the amenities, (cooled seats ROCK!) and the best part?

I have 29K on it now, and could easily retail it here in the PNW for 50K. The retained value is insane. Don't get me wrong, the GM and Dodge 3/4 + trucks do well too.

Pick what you LIKE. They're all pretty dam good. Do your research. Be educated.

**Edit; We just sold a '13 F350 6.7 shortbox crew. Lariat Ultimate pkg. Super nice truck. 74K on the clock. Sold in 3 days for 42K. Do the math.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've always said the Dodge has the best engine. That Cummins is pretty dam hard to beat. It'll get the best fuel economy out of all three, but as has been said, it has the weakest tranny, and the truck itself is STILL not up to par with the other two.
The GM trucks have always had a great ride. "Great" being the most plush.
I'm not into plush when it comes to my truck.
I have heard that crap for 20 yrs. Might have been so 20 yrs ago, but not anymore. I have heard 22-24mpg on 3500 4X4 CC ...... BS. Maaaaaaaybe could get 20mpg out of mine ('17) on interstate at 55mph, no A/C, with good tail wind! Who drives 55 on interstate??? High side at 75mph is less than 16 .... REAL numbers, not computer BS. Pulling a loaded trailer 7-8 at 75mph, maybe 8.5-9 at 65mph. '02 and '08 Duramax did just as good comparatively. '17 3500 Laramie in NON delete.

Reactions: JTW and mjn

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!