P500 Factory Front Diff Lock

Jbratt78

Jbratt78

Feb 23, 2022
Spring, TX
Ownership

1. 520
This may be a dumb question but has anyone looked into the viability of using the front diff lock parts from a 700 front end on the 520? They use the same carrier, just different ring and pinion gears. It looks like from the diagrams that the right side case section that houses the differential locking mechanism should bolt right up to the 520 center case. They utilize the exact same seal, bolts (quantity and size), gaskets, and bearings. Is this just wishful thinking or could this be a relatively easy way to have a selectable locking front diff? It would obviously require a custom length axle shaft on the right side but still.

Jbratt78

Jbratt78

Feb 23, 2022
Spring, TX
Ownership

1. 520
The Torq Locker took all the guess work out of it. $500 and an afternoon.
That's one of the first things I looked at when I joined and started going down the rabbit hole of threads on various upgrades. This is my first sxs, I have lots of experience with Jeeps and other 4x4s and I had a lunchbox locker in the front of a K5 Blazer for all of 5 minutes before I swapped it out for an Eaton Elocker. The constant ratcheting action felt like it was trying to eat itself and was just generally all around annoying. I am leery of spending the $500 and half a day install on something that I am not 100% sure is going to get the job done. I would want to ride in one to experience it first hand before making the decision. Plus I like the added flexibilty of have selectable 2/4/4 lock capabilty.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That's one of the first things I looked at when I joined and started going down the rabbit hole of threads on various upgrades. This is my first sxs, I have lots of experience with Jeeps and other 4x4s and I had a lunchbox locker in the front of a K5 Blazer for all of 5 minutes before I swapped it out for an Eaton Elocker. The constant ratcheting action felt like it was trying to eat itself and was just generally all around annoying. I am leery of spending the $500 and half a day install on something that I am not 100% sure is going to get the job done. I would want to ride in one to experience it first hand before making the decision. Plus I like the added flexibilty of have selectable 2/4/4 lock capabilty.
I was unpleasantly surprised the I4wd didn't have the lock, 2wd and turf modes in the Talon's LE's and SE's. Now the crazy trail riders are installing lockers and still don't have turf mode. Honda?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

This one doesn't seem to be too bad. You have to be listening for it to hear it ratchet really.

Jbratt78

Jbratt78

Feb 23, 2022
Spring, TX
Ownership

1. 520
This one doesn't seem to be too bad. You have to be listening for it to hear it ratchet really.
I was driving in a straight line on a sandy creek beach in the K5 and it felt like I was going to break something in the front end. All the popping and grabbing made it almost undriveable. Could have been just a bad application since I was running 35s and most lunchbox lockers top out at about 33s. Either way I am going to have to find some way to lock up the front end on the 520 because there is a mountain we climb in Arkansas that requires 4 lock to get up. 3 wheel action ain't gonna get it and I would hate to have to leave the Honda at the bottom and ride up in my dad's mule. That would just be embarrassing.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I was driving in a straight line on a sandy creek beach in the K5 and it felt like I was going to break something in the front end. All the popping and grabbing made it almost undriveable. Could have been just a bad application since I was running 35s and most lunchbox lockers top out at about 33s. Either way I am going to have to find some way to lock up the front end on the 520 because there is a mountain we climb in Arkansas that requires 4 lock to get up. 3 wheel action ain't gonna get it and I would hate to have to leave the Honda at the bottom and ride up in my dad's mule. That would just be embarrassing.
If there were any issues with the lockers you would hear it here loud and clear. The guy's here put products to the test. Where's the mountain? Sounds like where I ride.

Jbratt78

Jbratt78

Feb 23, 2022
Spring, TX
Ownership

1. 520
If there were any issues with the lockers you would hear it here loud and clear. The guy's here put products to the test. Where's the mountain? Sounds like where I ride.
Good to know, but in cases like this, consider me from MO, your gonna have to Show Me before I believe. A friend of ours owns 2k acres on the South Fork of the Caddo river just outside of Glenwood, AR. The mountain we climb is the only spot on the property that has cell reception and there is only 1 way up and 1 way down and the last 150ft is damn near straight up!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Good to know, but in cases like this, consider me from MO, your gonna have to Show Me before I believe. A friend of ours owns 2k acres on the South Fork of the Caddo river just outside of Glenwood, AR. The mountain we climb is the only spot on the property that has cell reception and there is only 1 way up and 1 way down and the last 150ft is damn near straight up!
Sounds beautiful. You haven't been around the club very long and haven't seen how fast the news of product failures get around here. I have called my dealer several times about a Honda recall, usually something knit picky to schedule for repair and they were dumb founded, they hadn't been notified about the recall from Honda yet, that I learned it from this Club. You'll get comfortable with the advice when you've been around a while. Happy Trails!

Jbratt78

Jbratt78

Feb 23, 2022
Spring, TX
Ownership

1. 520
Sounds beautiful. You haven't been around the club very long and haven't seen how fast the news of product failures get around here. I have called my dealer several times about a Honda recall, usually something knit picky to schedule for repair and they were dumb founded, they hadn't been notified about the recall from Honda yet, that I learned it from this Club. You'll get comfortable with the advice when you've been around a while. Happy Trails!
I am definitely a newbie. I am in the process right now of ordering wheels and tires and if it weren't for all the folks on here sharing measurements and advice I would probably be curled up in the corner in the fetal position mumbling about offsets. From what I can tell so far, if Trigger says it, it's gospel. Good Talkin with ya.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
From what I can tell so far, if Trigger says it, it's gospel. .
I pretty much found this to be true. I would say he has tried a lot of things on the P500 platform and knows what works and what doesn't. There are also a lot of other good builds to watch and learn from. The guys that have been around the longest have likely witnessed it all either from the trail or from watching us newbies screw up...

I'm buying my locker, power steering and skid plate today. Will make for a fun weekend project soon.

Rob

Jbratt78

Jbratt78

Feb 23, 2022
Spring, TX
Ownership

1. 520
I pretty much found this to be true. I would say he has tried a lot of things on the P500 platform and knows what works and what doesn't. There are also a lot of other good builds to watch and learn from. The guys that have been around the longest have likely witnessed it all either from the trail or from watching us newbies screw up...

I'm buying my locker, power steering and skid plate today. Will make for a fun weekend project soon.

Rob
What power steering setup did you get? That is definitely on my list of upgrades as well.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I've read most of the threads on the PS unit for the 500s, it appears that everyone is just rebranding (stickers) the same hardware. I'm not sure it really matters which one you get as long as you have support afterwards. For that reason alone, I'm getting mine from SuperATV. I feel like we have good vendors that support the Hondas we have, and I want to support them so they can make more cool stuff for us.

Rob

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've read most of the threads on the PS unit for the 500s, it appears that everyone is just rebranding (stickers) the same hardware. I'm not sure it really matters which one you get as long as you have support afterwards. For that reason alone, I'm getting mine from SuperATV. I feel like we have good vendors that support the Hondas we have, and I want to support them so they can make more cool stuff for us.

Rob
This is why I don't shop strictly by price, I want to support those who support us. :cool: If I don't buy what they make at a fair price to pay their wages and they don't buy what I make at a fair price to pay my wages, we're both unemployed. Stop buying chinese crap when possible. :oops:

Jbratt78

Jbratt78

Feb 23, 2022
Spring, TX
Ownership

1. 520
Thanks for everyones input so far. I found a complete right side case from a 700 on ebay for about $75. I'm gonna buy it and wait to find a junked 500 box to tinker with and test my theory before I give up completely. In the meantime I will most likely be ordering a TQL and a powersteering setup to cover my bases. Probably the powersteering unit first since I just ordered 27" terrabites last night and I have a feeling I'm gonna need the assistance.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Well, I spent my money this weekend.

Skid plates
Torq locker
Power Steering

While I have the P520 torn apart, I'm also installing the following
turn signal, horn and trailer kit
PIAA LED driving light
Some additional sound insulation

I'm down to only three things on my wish list:
Elka shocks
2" reciever hitch
radios

Rob

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!