Factory UTV Spare Tire Holder - REAR VIEW ?

L

lifeisgoodsteve

Feb 13, 2021
Bitterroot Valley, MT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
For those who have the Factory UTV Spare Tire holder, or another over the bed spare tire holder, do any of them preserve the rear view?

Any pics looking back, as I hear a pic is worth a good number of words?

Cheers,

s

Reactions: Remington and TxDoc
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Here's a combination of the Factory UTV mount with the Dirt Road Fabrication bed extender with the original high mount. What looks like a yuge rearview mirror is the over bed spare tire.

Side view. The tire is below the roof peak.

Reactions: Remington
L

lifeisgoodsteve

Feb 13, 2021
Bitterroot Valley, MT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Cool, thanks! So without the dirt road fab spare, the view looks like it's still quite good?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Cool, thanks! So without the dirt road fab spare, the view looks like it's still quite good?
If you mount the rear view below the roll bar, probably but Lil Steve hit his helmet on the mirror down there so he put it above the roll bar, in that position the FUTV spare might be in the way for a clear rearward view.

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I have the Factory UTV tire carrier, over a Tractor Supply box. I use a Seizmik rear view mirror and find the view perfectly acceptable. I am even going to try strapping two chairs on top of the box. I think it will still be fine. I have attached a pic looking into my mirror. Pay no mind to the Wildcat in the background- I just bought that to flip. And it is too freaking hot to go ouside!

20210616 142036

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have the Dirt Road Fabrications bed extender/spare carrier and I opted for the low spare mount so I had a chance at having a decent rear view either by mirror or turning my head and looking back while in reverse. I'm happy that I can finally see out back with the DRF low tire mount.

Here's what I see in my rear view mirror (that's @CID chasing me) with the DRF low mount. You can see I still have the brackets attached from the JEI Off-Road spare mount, it completely blocked my rear view.

IMG 20210528 084619160 HDR XL

Reactions: RB3offroad and CID
L

lifeisgoodsteve

Feb 13, 2021
Bitterroot Valley, MT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have the Dirt Road Fabrications bed extender/spare carrier and I opted for the low spare mount so I had a chance at having a decent rear view either by mirror or turning my head and looking back while in reverse. I'm happy that I can finally see out back with the DRF low tire mount.

Here's what I see in my rear view mirror (that's @CID chasing me) with the DRF low mount. You can see I still have the brackets attached from the JEI Off-Road spare mount, it completely blocked my rear view.

View attachment 278938
That’s sweet. I may go that route but looking into having a similar bed extender fabricated that’s a bit longer for a larger bed space. If it’s in the same ballpark price for my uses I’d prefer to have the bed extend 10-12” further than taking up that space with the spare.

thanks

Reactions: CID
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I had the UTV over the bed mount but didn't like it, went w the DRF bed extender with high mount. For me neither provides a good view so I installed a back up camera that on all the time, that gave me several options on where to mount the camera for best field of view.

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
That’s sweet. I may go that route but looking into having a similar bed extender fabricated that’s a bit longer for a larger bed space. If it’s in the same ballpark price for my uses I’d prefer to have the bed extend 10-12” further than taking up that space with the spare.

thanks

Here's a view of how much stuff I was able to carry on a 550 mile 4 day trip last month. Of course my rear view was completely blocked but the DRF carrier gave me better options than I had with the previous, smaller bed extender.

IMG 20210511 152543429 XL

I threw on the hitch mounted ATV cargo carrier just to see if it fit but decided not to use it because it prevented opening the DRF extender.

IMG 20210420 230202235 X3

Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Very nice. Everything is a tradeoff. So if you want to install a particle separator at or above the roof you may run into spacing problems. Spares are a must so you are on the right track. Again, if a particle separator is not in you future, you have a very nice rig.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
If you zoom in on the first pic you will also see the factory exhaust that was ceramic coated
Can you give more info on the rack brand.
Also. Your rear winch. Is it just hitch mounted?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Smitty335
J

JRkc

Jun 23, 2021
Kansas City
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Yes the winch is hitch mounted so it can be used from the front or rear. I use a quick coupler for the battery connection for ease of use. The rack I made myself since I could not find one to my liking.

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Yes the winch is hitch mounted so it can be used from the front or rear. I use a quick coupler for the battery connection for ease of use. The rack I made myself since I could not find one to my liking.
Kool.. I been looking for a rack like that. We do lots of overlanding so something like that is going to be a must.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
If you zoom in on the first pic you will also see the factory exhaust that was ceramic coated
That’s cool, what’s the advantage to that?

J

JRkc

Jun 23, 2021
Kansas City
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I had it ceramic coated for these 3 reasons. Heat management, corrosion/rust resistant, and when you get it dirty/muddy it will wash off easily. When you wash a part that is ceramic coated it will bead the water like a waxed car. I will try and attach some pictures later for visual.

• Love
Reactions: CID and Montecresto

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!