Feedback Needed. Jumping the Talon X 2 after shock upgrades.

79xs

Aug 14, 2020
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I am going to cut to the point here. This question is for Talon X 2 owners who have done shock work (re-valve, springs, whatever). Does the unit still nose dive when you hit large bumps or jumps? If not, what shock work have you completed?

Thanks.

Reactions: TxDoc
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Bandit tension springs with Weller Racing re valve . I don't jump it on purpose BUT it happens . First trip out after Weller I did hit a jump accidentally and I was surprised that it landed 75% better then before . Have I did that exact jump before ? No . It was just a little nose down and the landing was comfortable .

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Gary @ G-Force Racing Technology in Tennessee is the guy you want to talk to. He can completely transform the stock Fox Shocks on your machine and make it a completely different animal. In a good way. Lol Not the cheapest option out there but one of the best in the business.

Reactions: Hometeam
H

HondaTech

Gary @ G-Force Racing Technology in Tennessee is the guy you want to talk to. He can completely transform the stock Fox Shocks on your machine and make it a completely different animal. In a good way. Lol Not the cheapest option out there but one of the best in the business.

I 2nd this, morphed my GMs machine into a whole different animal.

Reactions: Hometeam
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL

Same here! Gary at G-Force has done the suspension on my X and it is flat awesome. I did springs, valving, and high/low compression adjusters. The high/low compression adjusters is not something that everyone does but I think it is an upgrade worth the money. The QS3 doesn't flow as well as the full range adjustment does....SLOWPOKE is absolutely right when he says "it turns it into a completely different animal". My riding style is aggressive. I am confident you would not be disappointed with Gary's work!

Reactions: Smitty335
scoutt

scoutt

Sep 11, 2020
Oregon
Ownership

1. Talon R

2. w/Turbo
There is also Shock Therapy, night and day difference for me.

CrosbyTalon

CrosbyTalon

Oct 7, 2020
Minnesota
Ownership

1. Talon X
I am following this thread....I have a 2021 X live valve but the suspension is a bit harsh on small bumps. Kinda makes me a bit angry that I opted for live valve upgrade but seems like I still need work done. The 2021 X has crossover rings and tender springs that are not in coil bind from factory so they have made a few changes...

79xs

Aug 14, 2020
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have been tire kicking Talon Xs for almost a year...asking (bugging) YouTube channels and forum members about them. I am fully confident I could beat the heck out of the Talon and not have mechanical issues, but the nose dive thing bugs me. I don't mind if it rides like a brick or if it rolls on it's side.. but flipping end over end is not a good time. Then this crazy Yamaha RMAX came out, but I feel it would be a ton of work to make that thing swamp proof. Anyways, keep the feedback flowing.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
The Talon's suspension geometry (both the R and the X) makes it buck/nose dive. Shock tuning and weight redistribution can mitigate it but will never eliminate it. The geometry is better for rock crawling but not so good for high speed whoops and jumps.

The way the suspension is designed pushes the nose down while accelerating when the rear suspension is extended/drooped. The reasons differ between the R and the X but both have to do with the suspension mounts, center of gravity and the angle of drive at full droop. The only way to completely get rid of it is to modify the suspension geometry somehow. I have not looked at the X (trailing arm suspension) but on my R (4+ link suspension), to get the Anti-Squat below 100% and reduce/stop the bucking, I can...

• Lower the lower front mount at least 1"
  • Raise the upper front mount at least 1".
  • Limit the rear droop at least 3" with limit straps.
  • Combination of the above.
This is for my R, yours may/will be different. As an experiment, I am going to use limit straps and test to see if and how much droop reduction will eliminate the bucking.

This does not apply to the X, although I believe that the limit straps may help on the X also. Talon race team runs straps on the rear of the long version car (which is an X4 converted to a 2 seater race car). The straps appear to limit the rear a few inches so I am fairly sure they are trying to limit the droop to mitigate the bucking inherent in the Talon design, there is no reason other than that to run straps on the rear that I am aware of...

Reactions: TripleB and CID

79xs

Aug 14, 2020
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I should have clarified that I will be doing mostly trail riding, some hills/rocks/mud. No desert or dunes. The R is not trail legal here, so I have to stick to the X or another 64 inch machine.

CrosbyTalon

CrosbyTalon

Oct 7, 2020
Minnesota
Ownership

1. Talon X
Ok. So I have been kicking around spring replacement on my 2021 Talon X. But I cannot find specs on the tender spring spec for stock. I have heard go to 10-12” 150lbs. tender springs but no real data on results. My question is not knowing a base line could one just load up the back with predetermined amount of weight until you get the soft supple ride then, deduct little by little until the suspension rebounds an inch and get a base line that way?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Ok. So I have been kicking around spring replacement on my 2021 Talon X. But I cannot find specs on the tender spring spec for stock. I have heard go to 10-12” 150lbs. tender springs but no real data on results. My question is not knowing a base line could one just load up the back with predetermined amount of weight until you get the soft supple ride then, deduct little by little until the suspension rebounds an inch and get a base line that way?
One of Shock Therapy's videos says the Talon responds well to adding weight at the rear and I'll be doing that with Dirt Road Fabrication's tailgate/bed extender/spare carrier but I still intend on getting valve work done for the best results.

I can't help with sprig rates, I haven't seen much written anywhere on them.

CrosbyTalon

CrosbyTalon

Oct 7, 2020
Minnesota
Ownership

1. Talon X
One of Shock Therapy's videos says the Talon responds well to adding weight at the rear and I'll be doing that with Dirt Road Fabrication's tailgate/bed extender/spare carrier but I still intend on getting valve work done for the best results.

I can't help with sprig rates, I haven't seen much written anywhere on them.
I am trying to figure out what the stock spring rates are. None of the suspension companies build these springs- all they have done is test/tune and come up with a formula for what works best in thier application/opinion. Because springs are fairly cheap I want to tune in for my riding here in MN trails. Problem is you need to know the rate your starting with in order to start tuning. Given a spring weight is based off 1” compression per a given weight I am assuming one could do the math fairly easily unless I am missing something? Just take add or take out weight until 1” of compression and do the math?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I am trying to figure out what the stock spring rates are. None of the suspension companies build these springs- all they have done is test/tune and come up with a formula for what works best in thier application/opinion. Because springs are fairly cheap I want to tune in for my riding here in MN trails. Problem is you need to know the rate your starting with in order to start tuning. Given a spring weight is based off 1” compression per a given weight I am assuming one could do the math fairly easily unless I am missing something? Just take add or take out weight until 1” of compression and do the math?
www.talonsxsforums.com/threads/buying-individual-springs-for-a-talon-x.493/post-3296

Last edited:
Reactions: CID
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Given a spring weight is based off 1” compression per a given weight I am assuming one could do the math fairly easily unless I am missing something? Just take add or take out weight until 1” of compression and do the math?
Yes, you are missing wheel scrub, suspension geometry/leverage, etc. A pound in the middle of the bed is not a pound on the spring. You need a spring gauge or a press and a scale to measure spring rates properly.

CrosbyTalon

CrosbyTalon

Oct 7, 2020
Minnesota
Ownership

1. Talon X
And this is why I ask....Thanks for info Paul...NOW about that link you posted...whats the info it takss me too? 👍

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
And this is why I ask....Thanks for info Paul...NOW about that link you posted...whats the info it takss me too? 👍
Hmmm, I can't link it either. 🤔 Go to hondasxsforum.com -> Forums -> Tech Section -> Brakes and Suspension -> Buying Individual Springs

https://www.talonsxsforums.com/threads/buying-individual-springs-for-a-talon-x.493/

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Looks like this forum doesn't allow links to that forum. Here is the content of that post...

AZChuck writes...

I was lucky enough to get the following info from a very credible source who asked I not post their name. This table is for a 1000X.
LocationP/NFree LengthInside DiameterSpring Rate
Front Upper039-00-441-16.4”2.5”275
Front Lower039-00-443-111.752.5”300
Rear Upper039-00-442-13.0652.5”400
Rear Lower039-00-444-115.72.5”350

This table is for a 1000R.
Front Upper039-00-451-85.9”3”350
Front Lower039-00-453-815.13”225
Rear Upper039-00-452-86.73”250
Rear Lower039-00-454-815.93”250
On the X, the combined spring rate until the upper spring is totally collapsed is 187 lbs/inch. When the upper spring collapses (very quickly with only a 3" length), the 350 lb/inch rate of the lower spring is what you have. Seriously stiff!!

On the R, the combined spring rate is 125 lbs/inch, 2/3 that of the X. When you finally collapse the upper spring (if the shock travels that far), the 250 lb/inch rate of the lower spring is what you have, again about 2/3 of the X. And that occurs after a much greater wheel travel.

I was looking at buying a new upper spring for my friend with the X, but it has a much smaller wheel travel since it is at least half compressed sitting still. Now I'm thinking replace the lower spring with 250 lb/inch like my R. The lowest price source for this spring is from LandrumSpring.com for $39 on sale. The springs are Chrome Silicon like everyone else. The only negative is that the longest length I can get is 14".

My problem with buying the spring kits from ST, Bandit and others is that you don't know the new spring length or the spring rate which is what you're trying to correct, kind of a blind date. Obviously they don't want to tell you, else you'd do what I'm doing!:rolleyes:

With the above info, at least you can make a more informed decision if you go the way I'm planning.

Good Luck!!

Reactions: TripleB
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Oops, a day late and a dollar short. ☺

AZChuck's info from the talonsxsforum -

I was lucky enough to get the following info from a very credible source who asked I not post their name. This table is for a 1000X.
Front Upper039-00-441-16.4”2.5”275
Front Lower039-00-443-111.752.5”300
Rear Upper039-00-442-13.0652.5”400
Rear Lower039-00-444-115.72.5”350

This table is for a 1000R.
Front Upper039-00-451-85.9”3”350
Front Lower039-00-453-815.13”225
Rear Upper039-00-452-86.73”250
Rear Lower039-00-454-815.93”250
On the X, the combined spring rate until the upper spring is totally collapsed is 187 lbs/inch. When the upper spring collapses (very quickly with only a 3" length), the 350 lb/inch rate of the lower spring is what you have. Seriously stiff!!

On the R, the combined spring rate is 125 lbs/inch, 2/3 that of the X. When you finally collapse the upper spring (if the shock travels that far), the 250 lb/inch rate of the lower spring is what you have, again about 2/3 of the X. And that occurs after a much greater wheel travel.

I was looking at buying a new upper spring for my friend with the X, but it has a much smaller wheel travel since it is at least half compressed sitting still. Now I'm thinking replace the lower spring with 250 lb/inch like my R. The lowest price source for this spring is from LandrumSpring.com for $39 on sale. The springs are Chrome Silicon like everyone else. The only negative is that the longest length I can get is 14".

My problem with buying the spring kits from ST, Bandit and others is that you don't know the new spring length or the spring rate which is what you're trying to correct, kind of a blind date. Obviously they don't want to tell you, else you'd do what I'm doing!:rolleyes:

With the above info, at least you can make a more informed decision if you go the way I'm planning.

Good Luck!!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!