P700 FIRE!!!!

tculbertson13

tculbertson13

Nov 14, 2018
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4
I own a 700-4 and the engine caught fire over the weekend! Anyone else ever heard of this problem? The machine is a 2017 with just over a 100 hrs on it. We were just out pulling the kids in the snow and it started smoking and flames started shooting through the seatbelt openings in the seat. The machine has never had any problems and ran good up until now. I just had it at the dealership for the recommend 100 hr service a couple of months ago. Can't have more than 5 hours on it since the service work was done.

Reactions: sharp
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Have you determined the "cause" of that fire? It is not uncommon to see mice, etc., build nest in unwanted places and then the "nest" catches on fire and during the fall/summer, some people get grass/leaves in unwanted places and fires start, so I would want to see if a critter effect vs. something mechanical or human error.

M

motorman18

Apr 28, 2016
Laurel, MS
How bad did it burn it up I know the 14s had a recall about the belly pan building grass up under engine but they redesigned that

Reactions: swsebek and sharp
tculbertson13

tculbertson13

Nov 14, 2018
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4
No I haven't determined the cause at this point. I've been too sick to my stomach to look at it. I just see all the oil that has leaked out of the motor and go back in the house. I drive it a couple times a week so I wouldn't think any mice would have time to build a nest.

Reactions: sharp
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Tell me you had insurance?

I think i can remember 1 700 that (allegedly) caught fire. It was highly disputed as being bogus, as i recall. Did a quick search, but didn't find it.

tculbertson13

tculbertson13

Nov 14, 2018
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ya I have insurance, but it just seems odd to me that everything has been fine up until I took it to the dealership for service, then this....

And now there is a snow storm coming and no way to plow!!!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Ya I have insurance, but it just seems odd to me that everything has been fine up until I took it to the dealership for service, then this....

And now there is a snow storm coming and no way to plow!!!
Just serviced? Very interesting.

I'd be out there with a magnifying glass trying to see a cause.

Did they do the valves? That would be a serious oil leak if one of the caps was left off/loose...but you'd think that would give you some warning.
Could snow have gotten packed around the outer edges and caused the plastic to get super hot? Just brainstorming here...

Reactions: CumminsPusher
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
If just from the dealership, then I would look at what I consider the highest probability areas: a) see if the cover which goes over the oil filter was installed properly (may not have the o-ring install correctly or loose, and I wouldn't adjust it if incorrect, but rather make the dealer fix it); b) drain plug and c) dip stick.

If you see the problem, then again, I wouldn't fix it but rather note it (picture or otherwise) and just contact the dealer on making it right, my 2 cents....

tculbertson13

tculbertson13

Nov 14, 2018
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ya they did the valves. We didn't go through enough snow to pack anything up, only have a couple inches here. I'll have to get under it tonight and see if I can't find anything.

Thanks for the areas to start checking. Appreciate it.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Ya they did the valves. We didn't go through enough snow to pack anything up, only have a couple inches here. I'll have to get under it tonight and see if I can't find anything.

Thanks for the areas to start checking. Appreciate it.
I mention it because the exhaust valve access plate is almost directly over the exhaust pipe. The other things are pretty low on the engine, so its less likely (but certainly possible). The dipstick does tend to spray oil when left out, so there's that. And the rag that @swsebek mentioned is also a good possibility. As mentioned above, i wouldn't touch a thing.

Reactions: Mudwing and swsebek
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
This sucks.
"Just Serviced" does sound suspicious.

Please keep us informed.

Reactions: ohanacreek
tculbertson13

tculbertson13

Nov 14, 2018
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ya it really sucks. I looked it over last night. The plastic under the seat has a huge hole that burnt right above the valve cover. Valve cover is barely attached with 1 bolt and I can clearly see the valve.......

Reactions: DG Rider
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ya it really sucks. I looked it over last night. The plastic under the seat has a huge hole that burnt right above the valve cover. Valve cover is barely attached with 1 bolt and I can clearly see the valve.......

I'd make sure you have your insurance adjuster look at it before the dealership then. I definitely call the dealership though and as calmly as possible explain the situation and ask them how they intend to remedy the situation for you. Ultimately your insurance company will be the ones to go to battle with them should they try to skirt responsibility.

H

HondaTech

I would look towards a valve cover O-ring being left off. The O-ring on the dipstick could also be an issue if it happened to spray oil on the header.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any update??

Reactions: Mudwing
tculbertson13

tculbertson13

Nov 14, 2018
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4
It was definitely the valve cover. The owner of the dealership made everything right with me. Put me in a new 2019 700-4 deluxe. Not too keen on the color yet (diver blue), but I'm sure it'll grow on me. I really liked the camo one I had.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It was definitely the valve cover. The owner of the dealership made everything right with me. Put me in a new 2019 700-4 deluxe. Not too keen on the color yet (diver blue), but I'm sure it'll grow on me. I really liked the camo one I had.

I've heard others say that the plastics are pretty inexpensive for a color change. No one hurt and they did right by you is definitely excellent news to hear. Things definitely could have gone far worse.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!