BOX1

P1000 Fires!

CLS

CLS

Aug 26, 2018
Az
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How common is it that the p1k5 are catching fire?

Are there any commonalities with those that burned?

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
CLS

CLS

Aug 26, 2018
Az
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda has a recall for the throttle body and muffler... but it’s extremly rare in the hondas... not saying it can’t. But it’s not on the same level as Polaris.
My vin said it had the muffler done prior to delivery. When I checked the throttle body all was tight and dry. I'd like to focus on riding and hunting instead of feeling like I'm a test pilot waiting for a malfunction.

J

JTW

My vin said it had the muffler done prior to delivery. When I checked the throttle body all was tight and dry. I'd like to focus on riding and hunting instead of feeling like I'm a test pilot waiting for a malfunction.
Oh we’ve already test piloted the s*** out of them for you... @CumminsPusher is our resident crash dummy. Drive the f***er and don’t worry about it.. do your routine maintenance and if you’re smart enough to check the throttle body then you’ll be fine!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Oh we’ve already test piloted the s*** out of them for you... @CumminsPusher is our resident crash dummy. Drive the f***er and don’t worry about it.. do your routine maintenance and if you’re smart enough to check the throttle body then you’ll be fine!
Hey I didn’t have every single issue, we didn’t have the melted rear plastic. Oh wait we went aftermarket exhaust long before that service bulletin.

Tighten the intake and all is fine. I’m surprised to see that one in flames actually from intake. Pretty rare I’d believe

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey I didn’t have every single issue, we didn’t have the melted rear plastic. Oh wait we went aftermarket exhaust long before that service bulletin.

Tighten the intake and all is fine. I’m surprised to see that one in flames actually from intake. Pretty rare I’d believe

The smell of the muffler shield is a good indicator to slow down and throw it away.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Mine came off at about mile marker 200, first time I rode the machine in temps above 50°F. Melted right to the heat shield. Been fine ever since.
That’s a weird one to have some machines have that issue and not others. Hell thats just weight reduction :)

Reactions: TimG and sharp
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What is this muffler update you speak of??

Would my '18 already have the update? I've got 600 or so miles on it, and gotz no melting goin on yet..
Yes and no!
Look at your exhaust cover. If there is a silver heat shield between your muffler and black cover, you have it. I think this recall came out mid cycle for '18. So it may not have it. If in doubt, post a picture of the rear of your rig.

Reactions: sharp
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Good point, a few thousand of the 65,000 recalled are very early VIN 2018’s.

Reactions: TimG and sharp