First Crossbow Inquiry

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am looking at a crossbow, it is used in great condition with some accessories. I see online reviews of this model seem really good. This will be my first Crossbow. Potentially my last. I like guns more but have always wanted a crossbow. It is a Ravin R10 for $600. Does anyone have any thoughts on this or other brands?

The Hunter

The Hunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a R10. I’ve bought it new about 5 years ago I think. They are well worth it in my opinion. That’s pretty cheat for one , mine was around 1,200. They are fast and accurate. You’ll like it, pull the trigger

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you for the reply. I went ahead and purchased it. I also got a bear skin with it too. The guy we met will be easily called friend. We are heading home from Michigan now and I will get some pictures posted too. I have a reciept with it and I think the original total was $1400ish. I think I got a super sweet deal. I am really excited.

I have a R10. I’ve bought it new about 5 years ago I think. They are well worth it in my opinion. That’s pretty cheat for one , mine was around 1,200. They are fast and accurate. You’ll like it, pull the trigger

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My wife and I have been working all day to get everything unloaded from our trip to Drummond. Here is a sweet picture of the haul:

Ravin crossbow, with 3 used ravin bolts, 3 used broadhead, 3 used practice tips, ravin bag, used discharge bag, used large target bag, 6 pack of new ravin bolts, 3 pack of new rage broadheads, 3 packs of new rage practice broadheads, new rage broadhead storage box, bear rug, nice fallow deer skull, and a 1953 buck rack with steel tag attached. $800 for the lot and I am super excited for the crossbow and my wife is super excited for the racks and rug.

After alot of research on the crossbow I think I did really well. I am really looking forward to trying it out. Thank you to those who gave me some replies. I appreciate this forums knowledge. I do not have/use other media outlets so I trust you guys.

IMG20220923200556

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used to bow hunt and guide a long time ago.
I once had a metal bow crossbow given me, like a rifle really.
Lost more game with it than anything, the arrow going fast, straight through the animal.
I gave it away. It wasn't archery hunting to me.
JMO
I have not archery hunted in years. My grandpa was the only person who took me when I was in junior high school. I never shot anything, the game was never within range. My dad's (divorced mom not gay parents) took me rifle hunting. It was a much different experience being able to see something and take that something. On our last vacation to Drummond 2 years ago I purchased a Oneida bow setup for fishing and I have target practiced with it many times but I haven't gotten the opportunity to use it.

Reactions: Remington
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My wife and I shot the crossbow tonight and it did great! Very fun and smooth. Overall we were very impressed. We did not have alot of light and I made a mistake last night playing with the "zoom" on the scope without realizing it's a speed ring apparently! 😵‍💫 So lesson learned there.

IMG20220924191302 IMG20220924191304

The Hunter

The Hunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Be sure to shoot with broad heads if you plan on hunting as they will most often fly different than field tips. I use NAP kill zone 100gr. I tried the ravin brand broad heads yesterday and they go way left for me. Make sure any broad heads you purchase are rated for crossbow speed, your R10 is 400ft per second

Reactions: Robobrainiac
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Be sure to shoot with broad heads if you plan on hunting as they will most often fly different than field tips. I use NAP kill zone 100gr. I tried the ravin brand broad heads yesterday and they go way left for me. Make sure any broad heads you purchase are rated for crossbow speed, your R10 is 400ft per second
I have a goal to have broadheads that basically are reusable, invincible, and repeatable. I am currently deciding between the G5 Montec and G5 M3.

Reactions: The Hunter
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!