Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Having owned atvs for 19 years, thought I would post on first heavy trail ride of 2017 Pioneer 500 after 60 mile break-in. Rode in GA mountains (Houston Valley OHV) with steep hills and rocky trails. AT shifts much smoother now, but found the manual mode had better control in rock hill climb/descents to avoid the AT hunting up and down for gears during speed changes. The AT did very well on smoother sections and during acceleration. Like how you can still override gear selection with paddles while in AT mode. Also like how the unit downshifts by itself in either mode. Excellent 2WD traction on dry rocky hill climbs and the engine braking was great, no need for brakes except in very extreme conditions that needed a full stop for maneuvering. Easy one hand steering and the AT was nice as my right hand is in a cast. Glad to have both AT and MT modes to fit the riding style, but wish you did not have to stop going between 2WD and 4WD. NO REGRETS WITH PURCHASE. Options thus far are Strongmade stick stoppers, rear view mirror, frame plugs, roof and $1 axle crown nut caps (as mentioned on this site). Winch to be installed and would like front and rear bumpers. Thinking about the Bison front bumper. Enjoy and hope this was not too long a post.

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like you had a great ride!

How is Houston Valley OHV?

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Sounds like you had a great ride!

How is Houston Valley OHV?
Excellent, largest Forestry Dept OHV in GA, 25 miles of trails, all levels of difficulty. $5 per day or $50 per year. Loading ramp, toilets and paved lot. 50 inch restriction.Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forests - Houston Valley OHV Trails

J

JTW

Having owned atvs for 19 years, thought I would post on first heavy trail ride of 2017 Pioneer 500 after 60 mile break-in. Rode in GA mountains (Houston Valley OHV) with steep hills and rocky trails. AT shifts much smoother now, but found the manual mode had better control in rock hill climb/descents to avoid the AT hunting up and down for gears during speed changes. The AT did very well on smoother sections and during acceleration. Like how you can still override gear selection with paddles while in AT mode. Also like how the unit downshifts by itself in either mode. Excellent 2WD traction on dry rocky hill climbs and the engine braking was great, no need for brakes except in very extreme conditions that needed a full stop for maneuvering. Easy one hand steering and the AT was nice as my right hand is in a cast. Glad to have both AT and MT modes to fit the riding style, but wish you did not have to stop going between 2WD and 4WD. NO REGRETS WITH PURCHASE. Options thus far are Strongmade stick stoppers, rear view mirror, frame plugs, roof and $1 axle crown nut caps (as mentioned on this site). Winch to be installed and would like front and rear bumpers. Thinking about the Bison front bumper. Enjoy and hope this was not too long a post.
Go with the strong made front bumper!!

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Clifford

Clifford

Feb 22, 2016
GA

Did you ride today mudder? If so I think I saw you on the main road in. I was was there riding my 2015 P500 heading towards parking area. I have been curious how the auto shift would be in the rocky steep sections.

J

JTW

Did you ride today mudder? If so I think I saw you on the main road in. I was was there riding my 2015 P500 heading towards parking area. I have been curious how the auto shift would be in the rocky steep sections.
It does pretty good depending your riding speeds.. I find that there is an in between speed (on hills) that it's not sure what gear to be in.

Dp5hunter

Dp5hunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2016
Hazlehurst Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500
I like the Bison front bomper to but with that bomper u will have to put the winch in the bottom winch mount witch means that if u do a lot of water crossings and mud riding u'r winch will be under water or in the mud when you need it. Just for that reason strong made may be a better option. Dippending on your riding terain. ;)

J

JTW

I like the Bison front bomper to but with that bomper u will have to put the winch in the bottom winch mount witch means that if u do a lot of water crossings and mud riding u'r winch will be under water or in the mud when you need it. Just for that reason strong made may be a better option. Dippending on your riding terain. ;)
Exactly!! I'd much rather have mine high.. and you can mount directly to the strongmade without the need of an added winch plate

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Exactly!! I'd much rather have mine high.. and you can mount directly to the strongmade without the need of an added winch plate
Lower winch...pulls better
more leverage. ...
but..I'm in the desert
I can see..your point...

Reactions: joeymt33 and JTW
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

Dude...pictures say a thousand words
...#1 rule::::::::
Pics or it didn't happen

Reactions: Duckiller
Dp5hunter

Dp5hunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2016
Hazlehurst Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500
Yes.. and because in my opinion it's the best bumper you can buy!
I like the Bison bomper better but I live in the south so mud and water are a constant obsticle I have sent emails to them to make a bomper like they do for the P1K for the p500 where the bomper go's in front of winch waiting on a riply. ;)

Reactions: JTW
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Yes, I remember passing a red one, Mine is green and black helment

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Dude...pictures say a thousand words
...#1 rule::::::::
Pics or it didn't happen
New to this site, here you go. Wife trying to come up with a nickname for the green P500'. Grasshopper, Cricket, Turtle, Kermit, or maybe just Mudder? Like the reply on the bumper with the winch up higher from mud and water.

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Yes.. and because in my opinion it's the best bumper you can buy!
I went with the honda....
2 reasons....
1....round tube matches rest
of machine
2.... the outline of the
headlights with tubing
& I do like my lower winch

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
New to this site, here you go. Wife trying to come up with a nickname for the green P500'. Grasshopper, Cricket, Turtle, Kermit, or maybe just Mudder? Like the reply on the bumper with the winch up higher from mud and water.

View attachment 25675
Hey......Grasshopper
welcome..

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!