P1000 First impressions. Not quite what I thought.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well. Here we go!!! First 30 min ride.

Not going to list the pros, as we probably all know what those are and enough has been written about the benefits of owning one of these. So I am only going to concentrate on things I didn't like. Not necessarily to be interpreted as meaning I don't like it overall. As I do.

First thing I immediately noticed was a severe lack of closable compartments. My Massimo 500 has THREE closable compartment. For $23000 and change, having only the glove compartment was an oversight! The other two compartments are open and to me that's just dumb. Couple of good bumps and whatever is in those open compartments with no lid or door is going to come flying out in the air. They should've had a closed hatch added.

Next thing I noticed, I cannot imagine why this thing does not have a parking/emergency brake? Using the transmission versus locking the brakes on the wheels just doesn't make sense to me. I'm sure someone will tell me that one is better, but what they won't be able to tell me, is what would happen if I have brake failure going down a hill? I like having a lever that I can pull a cable with to lock brakes manually, that's just good common safety sense.

I am almost regretting the EPS.. Almost. You lose a certain feel for the vehicle. You lose the feeling of "tightness" like rack and pinion. You lose the "fun of it" There's too much free play, to say when you are turning back and forth quickly, say maneuvering many short curves one after another like an obstacle course with cones, there's seems to be ( not an expert and maybe the nature of power steering) just a tad of hesitation before the tire follows. I almost like it being a little hard to turn. Making U-turns though without a doubt, it was wonderful to have, so I think everything is a trade-off.

There is a lot of left right sway. At times not feeling as stable as I would have liked to feel. I don't know if that's due to the diff Mudlite Tires design or the fact that I was driving it normally thru my trails with the plow still on. I will check the air pressure and remove the plow and see if that changes it any.

Generally and overall, it was much rougher, harder, harsher, louder, then I envisioned. Having absolutely no experience with these type vehicles I don't know why, but I envisioned this quiet little Honda, silently creeping up the hill with the smoothness and power of a Boeing 747. Wasn't quite the reality of it. Transmission was hard to shift, sometimes long to shift, and engine noise not reduced enough to make a great impression. Yes, I am aware after reading many threads the transmission will start to smooth out noticeably. The suspension was much smoother than I thought so that's a plus.

Was under the impression that the soft door panels were very easily removable. I was under that impression by reading on the website under accessories says it's "quick install and removal" This does NOT appear to be the case at all and requires removing mounting brackets and screws. I don't consider that "easily removable" in anybody's world. Easily would be to pull a couple pins.

Overall, I guess my biggest disappointment is simply this. And again this could be attributed to driving around with the plow and or the tires.

But when I turned, or maneuvered, it was almost like everything else had to follow Like links on a chain. Turn left, then wheel followed, than chassis frame followed. I just didn't feel like I was in absolute control of the unit as there was just too much delayed sway.

Reactions: jondevil
Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
Interesting synopsis. I agree on the lack of locking compartments. but I've found that since they're angled down even hitting rough patches of trail things don't fly out, but they're not protected from dust/mud so that's my biggest complaint. As for steering feel/sway I imagine it has a lot to do with tires. These things are HEAVY so the weenie 4 ply tires don't really cut it. Looking forward to upgrading to 28" Blackwater Evos once the Bighorns wear out. Maybe try bumping up the Psi a little. I personally really like the EPS, driving a heavy SxS on tight twisty trails without it is exhausting. Like driving an old Plymouth station wagon with manual steering, no thank you!

Theres been discussion about the lack of parking brake, and potentially how to add it. But not really that worried about it. But I wish it had one too!

Hopefully the good will
Outweigh the bad for you. I know I'm very pleased with the machine, even with some of the drawbacks vs the competitors.

Reactions: vince
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I completely agree on the compartments. I was surprised Honda hadn't taken a cue from the competitors on this, but as @Jediwrathchild said, I haven't had a problem with anything bouncing out of them. The power steering took me a little while to get used to, but after a few miles dodging rocks and things I love it. I'm not sure what you mean about the hesitation - I didn't notice any on mine. The sway definitely could be your tires. The Bighorn 2's on the deluxe are pretty spongy at the recommended pressure. I bumped mine up to 20lbs and they feel much better. I'll keep them until they wear out or I damage them. I would definitely like a parking break. There's times I have no choice but to stop on an incline and get out of the machine. Also, I have a tilt trailer.

I really like my machine, and I hope you will too. Happy Trails!

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Take the plow off before trail riding ... :rolleyes:

The noise tends to quiet down over time.
Also, I just took my windshield off for the summer - I couldn't believe how quiet that machine is cruising down the trail. The more enclosed the cab the louder it seems.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah get rid of the plow. Check your alignment. Those tires aren't going to handle great, not enough lateral traction.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Update: Just took it for a night ride with the plow removed. With the plow removed. day and night difference. I guess that machine is heavy enough and add on the plow and it was a little more than the tires could take when turning!!!

The EPS no longer has a delay and th sway was completely removed. Obviously those tires were giving when taking turns and that's also where the sway came from.

In automatic I never get over second gear I just don't have enough road. I would love to see with this thing can do wide open :)

Someone said something about the limiter kicking in at 45? I thought they could do 65?

So it looks like my only complaints are probably the compartments and emergency brake, because I know all of the roughness will work it's way out and the transmission will start to shift smoother. I do have it enclosed and I'm sure that also adds to engine noise so once I remove the doors and windshield I will update as well.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Well. Here we go!!! First 30 min ride.

Not going to list the pros, as we probably all know what those are and enough has been written about the benefits of owning one of these. So I am only going to concentrate on things I didn't like. Not necessarily to be interpreted as meaning I don't like it overall. As I do.

First thing I immediately noticed was a severe lack of closable compartments. My Massimo 500 has THREE closable compartment. For $23000 and change, having only the glove compartment was an oversight! The other two compartments are open and to me that's just dumb. Couple of good bumps and whatever is in those open compartments with no lid or door is going to come flying out in the air. They should've had a closed hatch added.

Next thing I noticed, I cannot imagine why this thing does not have a parking/emergency brake? Using the transmission versus locking the brakes on the wheels just doesn't make sense to me. I'm sure someone will tell me that one is better, but what they won't be able to tell me, is what would happen if I have brake failure going down a hill? I like having a lever that I can pull a cable with to lock brakes manually, that's just good common safety sense.

I am almost regretting the EPS.. Almost. You lose a certain feel for the vehicle. You lose the feeling of "tightness" like rack and pinion. You lose the "fun of it" There's too much free play, to say when you are turning back and forth quickly, say maneuvering many short curves one after another like an obstacle course with cones, there's seems to be ( not an expert and maybe the nature of power steering) just a tad of hesitation before the tire follows. I almost like it being a little hard to turn. Making U-turns though without a doubt, it was wonderful to have, so I think everything is a trade-off.

There is a lot of left right sway. At times not feeling as stable as I would have liked to feel. I don't know if that's due to the diff Mudlite Tires design or the fact that I was driving it normally thru my trails with the plow still on. I will check the air pressure and remove the plow and see if that changes it any.

Generally and overall, it was much rougher, harder, harsher, louder, then I envisioned. Having absolutely no experience with these type vehicles I don't know why, but I envisioned this quiet little Honda, silently creeping up the hill with the smoothness and power of a Boeing 747. Wasn't quite the reality of it. Transmission was hard to shift, sometimes long to shift, and engine noise not reduced enough to make a great impression. Yes, I am aware after reading many threads the transmission will start to smooth out noticeably. The suspension was much smoother than I thought so that's a plus.

Was under the impression that the soft door panels were very easily removable. I was under that impression by reading on the website under accessories says it's "quick install and removal" This does NOT appear to be the case at all and requires removing mounting brackets and screws. I don't consider that "easily removable" in anybody's world. Easily would be to pull a couple pins.

Overall, I guess my biggest disappointment is simply this. And again this could be attributed to driving around with the plow and or the tires.

But when I turned, or maneuvered, it was almost like everything else had to follow Like links on a chain. Turn left, then wheel followed, than chassis frame followed. I just didn't feel like I was in absolute control of the unit as there was just too much delayed sway.

Your first comment: the lack of compartments. I agree with this statement and I ended up adding over head storage. Here's a pic....
B4b42a71802ce6606c30820b2cd10d28

Your second comment: lack of parking brake. I agree again, I would like to have a parking brake to take care of the transmission and also the safety feature.

Thirdly, the steering or body roll. Power steering doesn't add to body roll. If you disabled power steering, the body roll and soft tires would still be there. I would check the tire pressure. For the stock big horns, I'm now running 20psi. They are still too soft. You are running an after market tire and I don't know the specs on it. Check the weight rating to ensure it can handle the weight of the pioneer. Also, inflate them more but don't go over the max pressure listed on the tire. When I put my other set of wheels and tires on, which are 8 ply, the steering is tighter. Also, the shocks are terribly soft. When Honda offers a shock upgrade, this should get better. And lastly, remove the plow and re-evaluate.

Your fourth comment about it being rougher, harder, harsher, and louder.....try some
Other brands if you haven't already. The P1000 is much more civilized vs most competition. You have your standards set high and that's a good thing. I just wanted you to know that there aren't really any softer, smoother, and quieter options out there.

I don't have any experience with the soft doors so I can't comment there.

Over all, you have given us a good review and we appreciate it. I will be looking forward to more reviews as you get more seat time.

Good day, Joe

Sent from my iPhone 10s

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In automatic I never get over second gear I just don't have enough road. I would love to see with this thing can do wide open :)

Someone said something about the limiter kicking in at 45? I thought they could do 65?

Not getting over second gear?!?! Are you riding it around a 1acre yard? Even then if you stand on it you might end up around 45 before you take out your neighbors fence

Welcome and you will be grinning when you stretch its legs. Its lots of fun when you catch some air and it upshifts only to immediately down shift on landing and take off like a rocket. The 1000 has some gittyup. Just follow break in before pushing it too hard.

The 1000 is way quieter than any other SXS I've ridden in/driven. Not Goldwing silent but it is a off-road machine.

Reactions: joeymt33
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Have no other experience and I am new to this world so I will trust the others when they say it is smoother than the others!

The roads are crooked through my mountains and are up-and-down and left and right, kind of bumpy and a 30 foot drop on only a 6 to 8 foot wide road. Going to fast is a bit risky :)

The paved roads to my subdivisions only about a 1/2 mile end and go up and down. In order for me to really open this thing up I need to get on the highway!!!

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
One thing I found very interesting to anyone who's getting ready to buy. The sales on these things have slumped because of price points. They are not the "hard to find, back ordered" like they were a short while ago.

I had no problems finding them in stock and every dealer I called had several to choose from. That should give some people some leverage in negotiating price.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Huge compartment under driver seat. Not the best but big. I've now got parking brake. Fairly easy with a line lock setup. I had same complaint about the park brake my 700 had it. A lot of Polaris and others don't but like you I hated parking on a hill. It's fixed

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Huge compartment under driver seat. Not the best but big. I've now got parking brake. Fairly easy with a line lock setup. I had same complaint about the park brake my 700 had it. A lot of Polaris and others don't but like you I hated parking on a hill. It's fixed

Wow!!! Under seat? See, from now on, I'm gong to read my manual before opening my mouth! Thanks and that's great to know.

You added a parking brake? With lever? Any links to this project?

Reactions: duskygrouse
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well, that storage area wasn't quite what I thought. I thought you just lifted the seat and you were staring straight down into a compartment. It's more of an empty side spot that could be used for anything, I'm not sure I would call it storage but yes, a bag full of tools could fit nicely :)

Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
Well, that storage area wasn't quite what I thought. I thought you just lifted the seat and you were staring straight down into a compartment. It's more of an empty side spot that could be used for anything, I'm not sure I would call it storage but yes, a bag full of tools could fit nicely :)

Yeah a small dry bag with stuff fits really well.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
It's definitely better then the glove box though:)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Wow!!! Under seat? See, from now on, I'm gong to read my manual before opening my mouth! Thanks and that's great to know.

You added a parking brake? With lever? Any links to this project?
I started a write up called parking brake and have been a little busy to fully finish and button things up. I really wanted to do an electronic but desided to go manual. Both worked very well but I'll finish it soon

Reactions: AKRider
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I started a write up called parking brake and have been a little busy to fully finish and button things up. I really wanted to do an electronic but desided to go manual. Both worked very well but I'll finish it soon

Definitely interested in how you did your brake. Please keep us posted.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
To answer your question on the speed limiter, yes the 1000 will do 65. Perhaps you mixed it up with the 700 which cuts out at 45.

N

Nightcrawler

Apr 23, 2016
Portland, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Definitely interested in how you did your brake. Please keep us posted.
Ta da! Here it is. Don't know why CumminsPusher is taking so dam long doing a write up on it?
GoodWood01L

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So much for the compartments being at an angle, because when you drive up a 45° slope like I have it becomes level and the first bump i hit everything came flying out including my handgun!!!

I'm going to take a black piece of aluminum and cover sure the opening one third of the way that should take care of it

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!