Talon First real outing on the Talon R

MFG

MFG

Mar 14, 2019
East Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
My son and I spent all day Saturday at Barnwell Mountain Recreational Area in Gilmer Texas. For those that have not have heard of it, Barnwell is a State sponsored off road park. It has lots of scenic trails as well as 4x4 trails that are ranked from 1 to 5. We road all day in the trails and climbed many of the 4x4 hills that ranked up to the 4s. We did not have enough tire for some of the nastier climbs that had been rutted out by 40" tires from rock buggies etc.
The Talon was very impressive on the climbs. No mater where we pointed it, it climbed them all without hesitation. The trail riding was good but the rear shocks are too stiff for my liking. The fronts are fine. I am going to take some preload out of the rears to see if they will smooth up. If not I will send them back to fox for new springs. The seating was comfortable all day, the engine and trans work great together. The width inspires confidence. The Talon never felt like it would turn over on the big climbs. Engine braking is also awesome. I have run this park many times in a Jeep with lockers front and rear, but I had way more fun in the Talon doing the same thing.
After a great day of riding, I am going to change the rear suspension to get a softer ride, next I am going to get wider tires and wheels on the front. I almost knocked one of the front tires off the wheel on a rock. Finally I will add some music, probably the factory Honda setup.
This is a great machine!

Here is the link to Barnwell Mountain if you want to check it out
Barnwell Mountain Recreation Area

IMG 4858

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Sounds like the rear comes preloaded enough for a cooler lol.
Nice write up and good info, looks like a good time was had. Beautiful rig

Last edited:
Reactions: Mopower58
MFG

MFG

Mar 14, 2019
East Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Sounds like the rear comes preloaded enough for a cooler lol.
Nice right up and good info, looks like a good time was had. Beautiful rig

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing. The cargo area sticker says like 200lb. My cooler may be 20lb. I was going to measure the ride height and drop the preload all I can without lowering the machine. With mud and dirt on the shocks, I could see we were using all of the travel on the front and about 1/2 the travel on the rear.

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
it's not the springs, well sort of, raise the cross over ring. or if slow trail running remove the sway bar.

MFG

MFG

Mar 14, 2019
East Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
it's not the springs, well sort of, raise the cross over ring. or if slow trail running remove the sway bar.
I think I know what you are saying. To me when I look at the suspension set up in the rear, it looks like the sway bar takes the independent part of the suspension out until you really push it hard. When you say cross over ring, are you talking about the ring between the springs? If you don't mind elaborate a little on your thoughts of what this will do. Thanks

Reactions: Arizona
Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
I think I know what you are saying. To me when I look at the suspension set up in the rear, it looks like the sway bar takes the independent part of the suspension out until you really push it hard. When you say cross over ring, are you talking about the ring between the springs? If you don't mind elaborate a little on your thoughts of what this will do. Thanks

The two springs compress at half their total rating, the ring stops the lighter top spring and uses the main heavy one, kinda a bottom out control. If you raise the ring, you’ll use more of the top spring, but could bottom easier on big landings.
Right now I think it’s set at 1.5”, I raised mine to 1/2” from the top of the ring to the top of the little spring.
Take note of the measurement and write them down in case you want to return to stock. I also had my driver side one stick, and not unload, was riding on the main spring alone and the talon was sitting 3/4” lower on driver side.
Hope that’s clear as mud.

MFG

MFG

Mar 14, 2019
East Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
The two springs compress at half their total rating, the ring stops the lighter top spring and uses the main heavy one, kinda a bottom out control. If you raise the ring, you’ll use more of the top spring, but could bottom easier on big landings.
Right now I think it’s set at 1.5”, I raised mine to 1/2” from the top of the ring to the top of the little spring.
Take note of the measurement and write them down in case you want to return to stock. I also had my driver side one stick, and not unload, was riding on the main spring alone and the talon was sitting 3/4” lower on driver side.
Hope that’s clear as mud.
Got it. Thanks for the info. Did it help the ride much?

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
Got it. Thanks for the info. Did it help the ride much?
It does, for the smaller trail rocks and roots. It helps a lot, if your average speed is under 15 remove the sway bar. Depending where I go, sometimes I take mine out as well.

MFG

MFG

Mar 14, 2019
East Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
It does, for the smaller trail rocks and roots. It helps a lot, if your average speed is under 15 remove the sway bar. Depending where I go, sometimes I take mine out as well.
Thanks for all the info. I will work on them this week. Did you have to remove the springs to raise the crossover ring?

Arizona

Arizona

Sep 1, 2016
Casa Grande & Show Low Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for all the info. I will work on them this week. Did you have to remove the springs to raise the crossover ring?
This might help, On my P-500 with Walker Evans shocks, to turn the 'rings' either way, raise or lower, it's better & easier to unload the shocks/springs by using a jack to raise the front or rear of the machine to where the tires are off the ground, thus unloading the shocks/springs, that way the 'rings' are easier to turn because the springs aren't pressing against them as much, or as hard as when the machine tires are on the ground where the shocks are loaded by the weight of the machine.

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
This might help, On my P-500 with Walker Evans shocks, to turn the 'rings' either way, raise or lower, it's better & easier to unload the shocks/springs by using a jack to raise the front or rear of the machine to where the tires are off the ground, thus unloading the shocks/springs, that way the 'rings' are easier to turn because the springs aren't pressing against them as much, or as hard as when the machine tires are on the ground where the shocks are loaded by the weight of the machine.
We are talking about the crossover rings, not the main preload ones. No need to unload the suspension to adjust the crossovers.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
It does help to jack it up to give you a little more room between the coils to get to the crossovers.

Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My son and I spent all day Saturday at Barnwell Mountain Recreational Area in Gilmer Texas. For those that have not have heard of it, Barnwell is a State sponsored off road park. It has lots of scenic trails as well as 4x4 trails that are ranked from 1 to 5. We road all day in the trails and climbed many of the 4x4 hills that ranked up to the 4s. We did not have enough tire for some of the nastier climbs that had been rutted out by 40" tires from rock buggies etc.
The Talon was very impressive on the climbs. No mater where we pointed it, it climbed them all without hesitation. The trail riding was good but the rear shocks are too stiff for my liking. The fronts are fine. I am going to take some preload out of the rears to see if they will smooth up. If not I will send them back to fox for new springs. The seating was comfortable all day, the engine and trans work great together. The width inspires confidence. The Talon never felt like it would turn over on the big climbs. Engine braking is also awesome. I have run this park many times in a Jeep with lockers front and rear, but I had way more fun in the Talon doing the same thing.
After a great day of riding, I am going to change the rear suspension to get a softer ride, next I am going to get wider tires and wheels on the front. I almost knocked one of the front tires off the wheel on a rock. Finally I will add some music, probably the factory Honda setup.
This is a great machine!

Here is the link to Barnwell Mountain if you want to check it out
Barnwell Mountain Recreation Area

View attachment 124677
I've been to barnwell mountain once with my pioneer. That place can be hell on wheels and tires.

I'm about two hours from there (dfw) so hit me up if you want to go sometime. I was at river run (Jacksonville) on Friday which is a good place too if you've never been.

MFG

MFG

Mar 14, 2019
East Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've been to barnwell mountain once with my pioneer. That place can be hell on wheels and tires.

I'm about two hours from there (dfw) so hit me up if you want to go sometime. I was at river run (Jacksonville) on Friday which is a good place too if you've never been.
You are correct on the wheels and tires. I need to have one of my front ones broken down to get the rock out that is stuck between the tire and wheel.
I live in Longview so I am close to both riding places. I have not gone to Jacksonville because I am not big on the mud. When it dries out this summer I am game. I also want to go to Mena AR as soon as I know it won't rain every weekend.

Reactions: Mopower58

75Bronco

Apr 18, 2019
Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
How was the cab heat? Some are claiming it is almost too much. I would appreciate your opinion. Thanks

Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You are correct on the wheels and tires. I need to have one of my front ones broken down to get the rock out that is stuck between the tire and wheel.
I live in Longview so I am close to both riding places. I have not gone to Jacksonville because I am not big on the mud. When it dries out this summer I am game. I also want to go to Mena AR as soon as I know it won't rain every weekend.
I've been to wolf pen and I'm scheduled to go to Mack's pines next weekend.

I'm not big on the mud either, but river run has some decent trails to ride.

MFG

MFG

Mar 14, 2019
East Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
How was the cab heat? Some are claiming it is almost too much. I would appreciate your opinion. Thanks
It was about 58 degrees outside. You can feel some warm air in the cab with my 1/2 windshield on. we were running slow tight trails so there was not much air movement. I will take the windshield off when I go back next time and I am sure it will be fine.

Reactions: 75Bronco
Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have not heard of Macks Pines, Let me know how it goes. We will hook up at some point for a ride.
I noticed you said you live in Longview. My cousin and his family live there.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!