First time ATV/UTV Owner - Minnesota

Joshua2639

Joshua2639

Jul 30, 2020
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 700-4
Good morning, all -

First time owning any sort of off-highway vehicle - other than tractors. I choose the 700-4 as it seemed like a good fit for how I want to use it. I would guess 80% of the time working on a 40 acre wooded recreational property, 8% trail riding with my family of four (non-aggressive, 2 young daughters), and 2% use on trips out west. It was a hard decision between the 700 and the 1000, but based on peoples feedback here I felt like the bigger range in first gear for working and the smaller frame, and the price difference were the decision points for me.

Being from Minnesota it was tough not to go with Polaris or Artic Cat - but I have had good luck with Honda. I ride a 2002 Honda VTX 1880S and that thing is still bullet proof, and no leaks ;). No idea why anyone would buy anything else!

I am not a big upgrade kind of person, but interested to hear what modifications and accessories are big impact items. I did order the hard top roof (on backorder) and the split screen for the front. I will likely add the winch mount soon, and pair it with the Harbor Freight winch. Let me know what other things I should plan on or look into!

Couple questions right off the bat-
  • Honda Service Manual; is it the gold standard, or look at a third party service manual (For my VTX it is spot on)
  • Break in period - other than not going full throttle or rapid acceleration any other break in period tips?
  • what should be an expected MPG so I don't get stuck first time on a trail
  • is the OEM skid plate enough?
Thank you - I will use the search feature, but thought I would ask a few questions since I was introducing myself!

Josh

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome from the mud holes of WNY! The 7hundo is a great choice and a solid machine. The stock skids are semi ok but I’m looking to get new soon. As far as accessories, I used mine and added as I see fit. I just added the backup light kit with on switch from the HondaSxS Store and it’s gonna be one of my favorite accessories I can see, next to the wEnch of course. Stick around and check out all ideas here. Spending money is fun! Enjoy. 😉😎
#ntc🤑

03mossy

03mossy

Jun 20, 2018
MN
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
Welcome from a fellow Minnesotan and also a new owner of a 2020 700-4. I took it easy until the first oil change and I did that at 109 miles. Before that, I read that these things really pick up some pep after the first oil change and they were all right. It has noticeably more and throttle response after that oil change. Enjoy your new machine, we love ours!

Joshua2639

Joshua2639

Jul 30, 2020
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thank you for the welcomes - some great states listed that I have spent a good amount of time in over the years.

Ohio- Only driven through

SD - the perfect vacation for every Midwest family. Black hills, Wall Drug, Mount Rushmore, Custer State Park, Wind Cave, Deadwood. I bet I have been on that trip more than a dozen times.

WNY - I have been to New York twice. Once to the big city, saw the usual "gotta see" sights, and took in a Rangers game at MSG. Got the tickets from the late Boogaard (through his work with Military charities), and he also bought us a beer and a hot dog. Rangers played the Flyers- crowd was great (intense), Gaborik scored 4 goals, Flyers got shut out, and going into the game Flyers were #1 in the conference and Rangers were #2. Second time was for a wedding in WNY - beautiful country land. My next trip to NY will include some time in WNY.

Mississippi- spent the better part of a couple years in Biloxi, Mississippi for a couple of long military schools at Keesler AFB. The first time I arrive three days before the tragic oil spill and my plans for spending everyday fishing went out the window. The second time I was there a few years later, I got to take in Gulf Coast Mardi Gras. Talk about a good party that never ends. And yes, I got the baby in my king cake.

Oklahoma- Got nothing on this one - I have been to every state around it - but for whatever reason it is one of 5 states I havent been to.

Colorado- I married a beautiful Iowa Farm girl that spent a couple years as a ski bum in Aspen. Requirements for dating her were regular trips back to CO. Summer and Winter, we are regulars. Usually we are in Breckenridge but occasionally we go back to Aspen where she runs the Golden Half Marathon trail run. I am no runner, but I do drink beer and wait for her at the finish line - that I am good at. Mostly we are there to ski and snowshoe - favorite place to eat in Brek is the Swiss fondue place. Trying to get out to CO for a big game hunt with some military buddies but non-res tags are crazy expensive. I would mind the cost if I had better local intel, would hate to spend that kind of money and not have a chance to harvest.

Fellow MN - Are you familiar with riding the MN Trails? I am sure I will figure it out but if you are anywhere near Milaca and the Soo Line trail I would love to have someone show me (Newbie) the ropes for common trail etiquette and how-to. I live in Ramsey, and have a rec property in Page Township (10 min north of Milaca).

FL - I have been to north Florda-bamma, and Central Florida for Disney, but never South Flordia. I have watched the TV series "Burn Notice", so that is pretty much what I am picturing when I do visit. Patrick AFB is the furthest South I have been in FL.

MI - I have been through MI many times, but nothing note worthy. We are looking at Door County this September for a family vacation. But I can kind of relate as it looks like Minneapolis is on its way to being the next Detroit.

West GA- My first home away from home, Fort Benning. Home of the Infantry, FKA the School for Boys. Besides several people being bit by brown recluse spiders, and having a 4' long diamond back make its way into my sleeping bag - fantastic camping trip on Uncle Sam's time. This was in '97 and on my one day of freedom (over 4 months) we were allowed to go into Columbus. Not sure if things have tamed down in Columbus, but it was a pretty wild night.

Alabama - I have had a few recent stays in Alabama for long military schools at Maxwell AFB in Montgomery. Last year I trailered my motorcycle down and put on 1,000 miles (all back-roads, not a single mile on interstates) every weekend for 8 weeks. no plan, no agenda, just had to be back by Monday every week. Saw some fantastic country side. Northern Alabama is incredible. Just awesome to go through the small towns and see America. I had a pretty big range hitting TN, GA, SC, FL.

IL- Have been to Chicago many times as a kid, and as an adult I find myself having to steer around it. I know there is some awesome parts of IL, but I am not interested in taking apart my personal protection just to drive through. I know the state has made some leaps and bounds over the last few years on this so hopefully they get up to speed with everyone else! Other than that - I did boondock at a state park last year on my way through to Chatanooga TN. Iwas on a road trip with my oldest daughter (9yo, not with a camper though, just sleeping in my truck) and she wanted to sleep in the truck because I always talk about how when I travel accross the country I am too cheap to get a hotel when it is just me. It was dead of winter, but we had a great time!

I think I covered everyone who responded - thanks again for the welcome!

Josh

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!