P500 First trail ride on the new P500

Zaleski

Zaleski

Aug 28, 2019
Ohio
Went on my first trail ride yesterday at Hanging Rock OHV trails which is part of the Wayne National Forest in Ironton,OH. We had quite the adventure, on our way up to the trailhead, a tree had fallen across the 2 lane road, so had to use my truck and do some rigging to pull it off the road:

EEEF4373 0611 40FB BCC9 D5B36E9050B0

3C3D26D1 9CBE 4166 9E8F 4D511750433B

Once we got to the trailhead, got everything loaded up. I used a tote to throw all my gear in and had a cooler that 1 ratchet strap held the gear in place, but definitely want to work on something better for cargo management in the future:

AE10B5B4 5C1A 48D6 BEA3 46C1A74BF102

Once we got on the trail, I was very impressed with how well maintained the trail was, It was basically like a 50” wide gravel driveway the whole way. Still had fun hills to climb and tight switchbacks, but almost no mud, which is impressive considering it had been raining the last 16 hours, and the whole time we were there.

AE69FD22 EA7D 433F A666 295D39BA105F

One of the cool parts about this trail is all the fishing ponds along the trails, it is beautiful here, and the fishing was pretty good too!

8807090D 6954 4AB4 91A8 B75FB2B7FF63

EAF70CE8 E135 4A19 BDD4 4DB84AA580D8

So overall, weather was horrible, I was soaked to the bone and shivering, but had an absolute blast! I love adventuring and am looking forward to doing more in the little pioneer!

Some of my thoughts on the P500 after my first trail ride in it:

Suspension isn’t as bad as I was expecting, I guess it depends on what kind of riding you do, but for me it wasn’t bad or harsh at all(i’m not a speed demon either, which may be why)

The steering is pretty hard, i’m A fairly big strong guy, but making tight turns in this thing at low speeds is not fun, so power steering may be an upgrade in the future.

Windshield is a must for trail riding, trail was very well groomed but still lots of overhanging branches and thorns that we had to duck to keep from getting smacked in the face, that a windshield would have prevented.

Overall, I’m very happy with my purchase, and can’t wait for the next adventure!

Last edited:
C

Chooglin

Looks like a great place to ride. As others have mentioned, after you get some of those accessories, the ride will be much more enjoyable for sure.

Reactions: Wallace and Zaleski
JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome to the board and Congrats on the P5! Sounds like you had a good day riding and fishing.

Reactions: Zaleski
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Power steering was a good mod for me, would replace it immediately if it ever failed. Thanks for the pics @Zaleski , living the good life on a Honda.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaleski and Wallace
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Went on my first trail ride yesterday at Hanging Rock OHV trails which is part of the Wayne National Forest in Ironton,OH. We had quite the adventure, on our way up to the trailhead, a tree had fallen across the 2 lane road, so had to use my truck and do some rigging to pull it off the road:

View attachment 159820

View attachment 159821

Once we got to the trailhead, got everything loaded up. I used a tote to throw all my gear in and had a cooler that 1 ratchet strap held the gear in place, but definitely want to work on something better for cargo management in the future:

View attachment 159822

Once we got on the trail, I was very impressed with how well maintained the trail was, It was basically like a 50” wide gravel driveway the whole way. Still had fun hills to climb and tight switchbacks, but almost no mud, which is impressive considering it had been raining the last 16 hours, and the whole time we were there.

View attachment 159825

One of the cool parts about this trail is all the fishing ponds along the trails, it is beautiful here, and the fishing was pretty good too!

View attachment 159823

View attachment 159824

So overall, weather was horrible, I was soaked to the bone and shivering, but had an absolute blast! I love adventuring and am looking forward to doing more in the little pioneer!

Some of my thoughts on the P500 after my first trail ride in it:

Suspension isn’t as bad as I was expecting, I guess it depends on what kind of riding you do, but for me it wasn’t bad or harsh at all(i’m not a speed demon either, which may be why)

The steering is pretty hard, i’m A fairly big strong guy, but making tight turns in this thing at low speeds is not fun, so power steering may be an upgrade in the future.

Windshield is a must for trail riding, trail was very well groomed but still lots of overhanging branches and thorns that we had to duck to keep from getting smacked in the face, that a windshield would have prevented.

Overall, I’m very happy with my purchase, and can’t wait for the next adventure!
Nice post!

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Sounds like you had a good time. I think when you get on far less groomed trails the suspension might show it's true colors though. I still like our P500 though.
Looks like a fine purchase.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!