highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Has anyone experienced this yet? One of the Talons had a flat last weekend and the I-4wd light came on but wouldn't go off. We didn't think the flat tire was related to the FWD light but apparently it was. Honda dealer had to turn of the FWD light in shop. After learning of this, I'm thinking the speed sensor on each front drive shaft must be the way the flat was detected and disabled FWD to prevent front dif damage.

• Sad
Reactions: NTCPrezJB
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
@Lil_Steve had a similar experience. He had a flat but his spare was a different size so he put it on the front, in 2WD so he could get back to the trailer. His thinking (and mine would have been the same) was that in 2WD the I-4WD wouldn't care about front tire sizes - wrong. I don't know/remember if his I-4WD light became an issue.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
So apparently the I-4wd light has to be reset by Honda once it comes on, even after the tire is properly inflated once again or a spare of the same size replaces it.

Reactions: NTCPrezJB
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Interesting stuff.
I'll be the first say it....time for a manual locker in the Talon?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So apparently the I-4wd light has to be reset by Honda once it comes on, even after the tire is properly inflated once again or a spare of the same size replaces it.
Do u think they just cleared the codes?
Or is there a actual "reset" of some sort?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Person only says that Honda turned of the light, guessing that means cleared the code. Is there any scan tool available for these machines to accomplish this on the trail?
No scan tool.
Let me look thought the manual later.
On the Pioneer's you just clear the codes by shorting/jumping 2 wires on the diagnostic connector. They have a "tool" but a paperclip work just as well.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
After I broke my RF knuckle, we towed mine with the RF completely off the ground and not turning for 5 miles (i-4WD light came on almost immediately) but I had the exact opposite conclusion. After I fixed the damage, I drove about 50 feet down the street and the light went off by itself.

In any case, the i-4WD light can be reset in the field. A few more steps than the PCM...

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I have to make a correction. The Talon owner said the 4wd was working but the light would not clear. He said the 4wd diagram was showing to be working, so I guess the 4wd was actually not disabled after the flat.

But I sure appreciate the reset instructions to clear the light!!

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have to make a correction. The Talon owner said the 4wd was working but the light would not clear. He said the 4wd diagram was showing to be working, so I guess the 4wd was actually not disabled after the flat.

But I sure appreciate the reset instructions to clear the light!!
The i-4WD probably stopped working while the problem existed and resumed once fixed. The light may stay on even after a problem is resolved to indicate a code has been stored and will stay on until the code is cleared.

The codes, failures, detection and fails safes on the i-4WD system are complex. There are over 30 codes, each having multiple failure reasons and 3 different detection periods. Initial Ignition on, Over 19 MPH and always detecting. All codes stop i-4WD as long as the problem is still detected.

If you do ever get the light, I suggest reading and recording the code(s) before clearing them (and it is somewhat complex to read them with the light but it can be done). You don't really need the tool. I carry a 20 gauge solid core wire stripped about 1/4" at both ends with me at all times.

DTC's have a first number and then a second like 1-1 or 2-3 and there are codes like 12-1 and 15-8...

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
@Lil_Steve had a similar experience. He had a flat but his spare was a different size so he put it on the front, in 2WD so he could get back to the trailer. His thinking (and mine would have been the same) was that in 2WD the I-4WD wouldn't care about front tire sizes - wrong. I don't know/remember if his I-4WD light became an issue.

The only issue I had was the light didn't go off after correcting the tire size issue. The I-4wd was operational but the light remained on for the next ride which was about 50 miles. I reset the light using a small cotter pin as a jumper just as @PaulF illustrates in post 11 above.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
After I broke my RF knuckle, we towed mine with the RF completely off the ground and not turning for 5 miles (i-4WD light came on almost immediately) but I had the exact opposite conclusion. After I fixed the damage, I drove about 50 feet down the street and the light went off by itself.

In any case, the i-4WD light can be reset in the field. A few more steps than the PCM...

View attachment 183651

@Hondasxs - This "SCS Service Connector" appears to be something that would be right up your alley. Amazon wants $29.90 for it, which seems absurd. Yeah, I know the same thing can be accomplished with a paper clip, but something more elegant would be nice.

Steve

Last edited:
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
@Hondasxs - This "SCS Service Connector" appears to be something that would be right up your alley. Amazon wants $29.90 for it, which seems absurd. Yeah, I know the same thing can be accomplished with a paper clip, but something more elegant would be nice.

Steve
I found some for as little as $9...

Reactions: stellarpod
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!