BOX1

P500 Flopped and now Starter Won't Crank?

Maritimer

Maritimer

Feb 23, 2019
New Brunswick Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Coming back from a fishing trip last evening I flopped my < 1000 KM Pioneer onto it's side in the most gentle way you've ever seen. I used the winch to pull it back onto it's wheels then out of the hole that caused the tip-over in the first place. (Ice on one side of the trail, bottomless much on the other = flop)

The machine had turned itself off with the tipover switch and I winched it back upright without the engine running.

Now, when turning the key the starter just grunts. Sometimes it will spin the engine over once then stop.

123154 5278f02cdcdbb1a7d0ac0f96b8bd5513

So far I've:

tried a 14000 Jump Pack
tried a 7000 L-Ion Jump Pack
tried a good car battery and jumpers
tried charging the stock Yuasa battery back up to 97% (about 4 hours on a snap-on shop charger)
Switched the machine in and out of gear using the manual tool
rocked the machine back and forth to be sure It is in neutral
jumped the starter solenoid with a screwdriver
whacked the starter with a big stick and a hatchet

yet still... turn the key and to starter just grunts and sometimes, rarely turns the engine over once. After a couple tries of this the starter gets noticeably hot to the touch.

Do I have a bad starter after less than 1000 KM or is there something else I should try here? (note, my machine is still in the woods.. will get a tow later this afternoon)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also pull your spark plug to confirm engine is not hydro-locked. Try spinning engine with starter with plug out. should spin without issue.
If it won't. Something bad has happened.

Maritimer

Maritimer

Feb 23, 2019
New Brunswick Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Probably dumped oil into the airbox and now you're low on engine oil. Not my area of expertise but check the airbox and oil level in the engine. Might be preventing you from blowing the engine up?
Thanks a million! I hadn't even considered that it could have given itself a slug of oil.

It spit what looked like about 1oz of oil out the plug hole then started right up.

I ran the battery down trying to compress that oil then started chasing a red herring.

Truly appreciate the wisdom @trigger @Neohio ‍!

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks a million! I hadn't even considered that it could have given itself a slug of oil.

It spit what looked like about 1oz of oil out the plug hole then started right up.

I ran the battery down trying to compress that oil then started chasing a red herring.

definitely look in your air intake. you may have impregnated the air filter with oil.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
when I flopped for the 1st time, I had to keep running it in order to operate the winch to upright the 500. It ended shutting off when too much oil drained upwards into the airbox because the low oil sensor automatically shut off the engine. Also at that point, so much oil had filled the air intake to render it inoperable until I was able to clean it out. Also changed the spark plug as well as the oil. After that it cranked right up.

Last edited:
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After this last experience, I purchased a come along. Was contemplating a second battery to run the winch.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Rule of thumb, Whenever you flop over, immediately shut off the engine!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
when I flopped for the 1st time, I had to keep running it in order to operate the winch to upright the 500. It ended shutting off when too much oil drained upwards into the airbox because the low oil sensor automatically shut off the engine. Also at that point, so much oil had filled the air intake to render it inoperable until I was able to clean it out. Also changed the spark plug as well as the oil. After that it cranked right up.
Low oil sensor? I doubt it has one of those either.

Ross1147

Ross1147

Jun 27, 2015
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Did it survive?
Haha, yup. I posted the story on here I think 3 years ago or so. Long story short hit a rock, knocked out oil plug, stalled out when I went to shift over a mile later. New oil plug and refilled with Amsoil. Over 500 miles since no issues.

Reactions: rtn001 and DG Rider
Maritimer

Maritimer

Feb 23, 2019
New Brunswick Canada
Ownership

1. 500

20190419 095429

...and the airbox... about 16oz of oil drained in over the minute or so it was flopped. Presumably the cylinder filling with oil is why it stalled. Luckily idling at the time so no apparent damage done.

Guess I will want to snorkle this up into the roll bars with everything else?

Thanks again folks.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!