Flying RC planes

C

Chooglin

Anyone else out there into flying rc planes or driving rc trucks? A few years ago I got into trying out rc planes (after I did the rc truck thing). I have since sold all my planes and trucks and have been missing it lately. So I went ahead and bought a rc plane simulator, just to pasify my urge to get back into this.

RealFlight® 8 Horizon Hobby® Edition - Now with Horizon Hobby®-exclusive aircraft and technologies!

I have owned a older version of the simulator but sold it and now that I have the new version , I am really enjoying it again. For any of you out there , that have ever thought about trying your hand at rc planes , I highly suggest getting the simulator first. This will save you a bunch of money in the long run. You can crash planes or helicopters all day and it won't cost you a dime.

This simulator is as close to the real thing , as you will ever get!!!!!!

C

Chooglin

No planes here but I have always had trucks, cars, helicopters, and now a drone. I love to fly when I can.
I've tried the helicopter flying and I could never get the hang of it , to much to think about. I crashed and repaired it 4-5 times and finaly gave up on it......lol. I can fly them in the simulator ok , but when it comes to the real thing , I just can't do it.

Reactions: TimG and sharp
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have some old RC Trucks and boats I haven’t touched in a while. 50% Nitro is expensive, I sold the actual boat and my fat out of shape lazy America ass isn’t paddling out to get one. When we had the lake house it was fun to mess with jet skis in the morning.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Add R/C trucks to my long list of hobbies I got into, and haven't touched in years!
I have 5 or 6 HPI nitro trucks/cars. Baja 5b, more tires and parts than I know what to do with! One of these days I'll either get the itch to get them running again, or sell them all on eBay.

Reactions: TimG and Chooglin
A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I fly r/c and i recommend that flight simulator. I have a 9 year old version of it i bought new with the controller. There are people who make planes and you can import them into the sim it was wild what they made 9 years ago i could only imagine what you can download and import today. One of my favorites is a VTOL Vertical Take Off and Landing jet you could open the cockpit, swing the thrust nozzles to 90, 45 and 0 all from the radio with the toggle switches, retract and extend landing gear. Then another fun one was a flying beer can it had a pop top you opened it let out smoke.

C

Chooglin

Add R/C trucks to my long list of hobbies I got into, and haven't touched in years!
I have 5 or 6 HPI nitro trucks/cars. Baja 5b, more tires and parts than I know what to do with! One of these days I'll either get the itch to get them running again, or sell them all on eBay.
I had a Traxxas T-Maxxis (I hated that truck) and a HPI Savage. The Savage was a very durable Truck and if I ever get another RC truck , that's the one I would buy.......they make a great product!

Reactions: TimG
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had a Traxxas T-Maxxis (I hated that truck) and a HPI Savage. The Savage was a very durable Truck and if I ever get another RC truck , that's the one I would buy.......they make a great product!
I have 2 savages currently. And enough spares to build another 2.

C

Chooglin

I fly r/c and i recommend that flight simulator. I have a 9 year old version of it i bought new with the controller. There are people who make planes and you can import them into the sim it was wild what they made 9 years ago i could only imagine what you can download and import today. One of my favorites is a VTOL Vertical Take Off and Landing jet you could open the cockpit, swing the thrust nozzles to 90, 45 and 0 all from the radio with the toggle switches, retract and extend landing gear. Then another fun one was a flying beer can it had a pop top you opened it let out smoke.

They include two vertical planes in Realflight 8 , The Harrier and Ospray. It also includes alot of what you mention , smoke , opening cockpit.......etc.

A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand

I have a 1/5th scale baja its scary fast its 45lbs and runs 45mph it could break a leg easy.

A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
They include two vertical planes in Realflight 8 , The Harrier and Ospray. It also includes alot of what you mention , smoke , opening cockpit.......etc.

See what files are out there to import i imported a blackbird, the flying beer can, VTOL jet and a few others I used to fly online with others at flying fields that's how I learned about importing files of jets not included with the sim.

C

Chooglin

See what files are out there to import i imported a blackbird, the flying beer can, VTOL jet and a few others I used to fly online with others at flying fields that's how I learned about importing files of jets not included with the sim.
I will definitely check this out

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have a few ventage RC cars, Frog and Hornet. I fart around with them from time to time (my sport model) lol. I have a customer that has a butt ton of plaines, very intriguing, expensive and take a up a lot of space. Maybe one some day.

A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I had thought about buying this when I was into rc trucks but they are just to pricey. They do look like fun though!

The entry price can get expensive if you buy the HPI but like everything that is popular there is a knock-off and I managed to pick one up RTR for $400 off eBay from King Motor. The HPI baja parts fit I started changing out parts with genuine HPI to make it more durable. The clutch spring broke and the clutches are stuck inside the bell is why mine is down but i broke it in like it was the HPI brand it runs great. If you go KM to get a 1/5th scale replace the receiver battery and the pads inside the main gear and the clutches with HPI brand parts you will have a solid r/c.

1/5 Scale 2019 KSRC-002 30.5cc Gas RTR Baja Buggy (wild orange)

Reactions: Chooglin

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!