P1000 Fold down or flip up??

B

BamaDave

Apr 28, 2021
South Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Looking to purchase a windshield and it time to decide which to select! Keep in mind I’m going to use my UTV primary to hog and predator hunt at night. Only other constraints that I see is the factory roof and the light brackets that I’m going to mount to the upper part of the cage point forward and to the side! Okay, what do you think? Thanks ahead of time letting me know what you think!!

B

BamaDave

Apr 28, 2021
South Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Light brackets I just ordered are these Amazon.com: Nilight - 90021D 4PCS Mounting Bracket Kit LED Off-Road Light Horizontal Bar Tube Clamp Roof Roll Cage Holder,2 Years Warranty: Automotive

Lights that I have!

68F2C2A9 C3D9 459F 9D2F 279D1C1CADCF

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm in the anti-flip-up camp. I run a flip-down because when it's down it's clear and out of the way. The way I ride, a flip-up would be problematic when going through low branches, especially when you get one of those extenders so you can really open it up (and still not as open as my flip-down.)

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm in the anti-flip-up camp. I run a flip-down because when it's down it's clear and out of the way. The way I ride, a flip-up would be problematic when going through low branches, especially when you get one of those extenders so you can really open it up (and still not as open as my flip-down.)
I totally get what you are saying. I just pull mine down when going through that stuff. Real easy to just pop it back open on the move.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
SATV flip up.
easy to grab to flip up and pull back down if needed while riding. I use mine at my camp while hunting and doing food plots in my woods. Had it since late 16’, i hit branches, thickets you name it no issues with it catching and ripping off as you might think it would. Very durable

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
SATV flip up.
easy to grab to flip up and pull back down if needed while riding. I use mine at my camp while hunting and doing food plots in my woods. Had it since late 16’, i hit branches, thickets you name it no issues with it catching and ripping off as you might think it would. Very durable
^^^^This^^^^^
The SATV flip up is tough as nails and I can’t count how many limbs have been dragged across mine. Still clear and I like being able to open and close it while going 40-50mph.

JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
^^^^This^^^^^
The SATV flip up is tough as nails and I can’t count how many limbs have been dragged across mine. Still clear and I like being able to open and close it while going 40-50mph.
^^Same^^
i like adjusting mine on the move. I bash mine through a lot of trails that are too skinny and it has done great so far.

I’m going to use my UTV primary to hog and predator hunt at night.
what lights are you using?

i have been looking at these for a while just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
their handheld/bow mount/feeder lights are great
i have one of their 12" green light bars on my quad too
Elusive Wildlife Light Bars

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m with the others, love my SATV flip up, so easy to open and close while driving, I call it my air conditioner in warm weather. Super easy to close or even leave cracked so you still get airflow when going through branches plus it protects your face from branches to a point.

A

Ainslieca

Jan 24, 2021
Summerfield, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are there any real glass flip out windshields for the 2020 pioneer 1000-5? I have a scratch resistant window and it is completely scratched and I havent even been on trails yet

Reactions: Lady01 and TripleB
Monkypops

Monkypops

Sep 10, 2020
Louisville
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I made my own fold down for about $100.00 over the weekend. I have a top section to put on, I just don't have the hinge yet. I also have some temporary foam on while I wait for the better rubber gasket to make it seal to the hood.

Window 1

Reactions: Lady01
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Trick question - neither. I had a flip up and never really used it, but it sure made a lot of rattling noise on washboarded roads.

So I have a full size. When I need a breeze in my face, I lean out and let my tongue flop around.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Flip up! You could easily let it rise for a night shot thru the cab rather than let it crash down while trying to let it down.

SuperATV flip up is nice. I would prefer glass for myself for the ability to easily clean it, add a wiper kit, and maybe have less rattle nosie. I do like my SuperATV flip it's just a preference I learned after purchase that I would have rather had glass.

Reactions: Lady01 and TripleB
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
My intent is not to be sarcastic or to criticize but I don't understand the purpose of a flip-down windshield. When would a flip-down windshield be used in the up or closed position?

A flip-up provides protection against unseen branches, small stones flipped up by another buggy in front or meeting, and also protects against bees and bugs hitting the rider in the face. All this while providing good air flow ventilation and cooling.

A flip-down provides no protection when folded down. It only protects while up but provides no ventilation when it is.

Reactions: ODAMO and Lady01
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My intent is not to be sarcastic or to criticize but I don't understand the purpose of a flip-down windshield. When would a flip-down windshield be used in the up or closed position?

A flip-up provides protection against unseen branches, small stones flipped up by another buggy in front or meeting, and also protects against bees and bugs hitting the rider in the face. All this while providing good air flow ventilation and cooling.

A flip-down provides no protection when folded down. It only protects while up but provides no ventilation when it is.
There is another side to that coin. In the winter, it is up/closed to retain heat, or closed anytime needed to keep out hard rain.

In summer, it is down to allow in all available breeze. Keeping out branches was not the concern.

Prefer glass to avoid the scratches of plastic. But if going to choose glass, I would not want one that flipped up, due to concerns of being broken by trees/limbs.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
There is another side to that coin. In the winter, it is up/closed to retain heat, or closed anytime needed to keep out hard rain.

In summer, it is down to allow in all available breeze. Keeping out branches was not the concern.

Prefer glass to avoid the scratches of plastic. But if going to choose glass, I would not want one that flipped up, due to concerns of being broken by trees/limbs.

Yes, true. But the same can be done with a flip-up windshield that can be opened only an inch or two to provide face and eye protection when moving faster than crawl speed. The fold-down shield has no partially open mode to provide controlled ventilation while still providing protection.

I had my Honda two piece flip-up open wider than normal on a recent warm day and a bug or bee whacked me on the lip at about 40 -45 mph. I stopped and adjusted the ws to a narrower open position.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!